why...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a couple of questions... can anyone explain please?

why does hypercalcemia lead to peptic ulcers?

does apoptosis, necrosis, and/or atrophy occur with menses?

Members don't see this ad.

from what Goljan has to say, the uterus undergoes both hypertrophy and hyperplasia so makes sense if during menses that both apoptosis and atrophy are occurring. Though on a test if given the choice between the two, i would go with atrophy as that's usually the classification its placed under.

Members don't see this ad :)
for some reason, kaplan says that necrosis occurs with menses.......

[SIZE=-1]prolonged hypercalcemia tends to cause high gastrin levels which increases acid secretion.
[/SIZE]

why would high ca increase gastrin levels?

the only thing I could think of was that more serum calcium means Ca entering voltage-gated Ca channels -> more Ach release -> more m3 stimulation of G-cells -> more gastrin release.

the problem is that if i'm not mistaken, hypercalcemia also systemically suppresses neuronal activity (that's why you get neurological sx right). Anyone help?

59F23.jpg

I think this will help.

59F23.jpg

I think this will help.

out of curiosity, what book is that? I looked in a bunch of different books and nowhere did i see gastrin as a stimulant for calcitonin secretion or Ca as a stimulant for gastrin secretion. Are both secondary effects?

Also, parathyroid adenoma and pancreatic adenoma are both components of MEN I. So you'll have hypercalcemia and possibly a hx of peptic ulcers.

Found it thru google. Same pic was in my notes from last year, I remember my prof saying something about how "that's why people get addicted to rolaids. they put calcium in them to keep you using them" that's the way I've always remembered it. ;) So Cute's right about the MEN sd, that will also give you an elevated gastrin even in the absence of a gastrinoma.