why you want to be a dentist-CRITIQUE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desaic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have my PS done and ready to submit! I don't want to explain in details why I want to be in a dentist, it has many personal touches and because I don't want someone else to steal the idea but basically the summary is:
1. came from third world country--> horrible teeth --> now beautiful smile! YAY!
2. like science
3. like working with hands
4. Love helping people
5. would like a challenging and rewarding profession

I had my essay edited many times by multiple people, but recently just a week ago, someone in dental school told me that the admissions committee have heard all these reasons and these reasons are very common especially #1 and #3. and that I should either put a different spin on it or find another unique reason

But these are actually the real reasons why I would like to be a dentist!!!!!

Now my question is for current dental students and especially dental students that had bad interview. In your interview, were you given a hard time for your reasons to be a dentist? Do you think the admissions committee would be "bored" by these reasons? Besides writing creatively, and your stats, how else can you stand out in the sea of applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not say you enjoy helping people. In an interview these ideas should be organic and not rehearsed.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not say you enjoy helping people. In an interview these ideas should be organic and not rehearsed.
I'm not going to say it in those exact words. I will elaborate and explain myself, as I said this is just the summery of my reasons. Should I still not put it in?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to express yourself in a personal statement without sounding like every other applicant. Just think about different ways of saying those basic points. That's my best advice. I would say you enjoy interacting with people but make it specific to dentistry....what about the patient interaction makes you want to be a dentist?

You can have generic reasons as to why you want to be a dentist, as long as you spin them in a way that makes you stand out. Because I am sure they have seen tons of people who want to get in because they like helping others.

Reactions: 1 user
Use those reasons and personalize them.
Those reasons are in every statement because those are the right reasons to enter the profession, you're not wrong. But elaborate on WHY those specific reasons and how they apply to you.
Don't lie, don't use gimmicks, and don't be generic.
Good luck on the cycle! I'm sure you'll get it (sincerely, no sarcasm).