Why would anyone go into Gastro today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dennis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Doctors,
I would like to start this thread because gastro is even harder to get into cf to cardio. I saw that many people contributed to the one in cardiology, and I was hoping that there are equally as many positive response to this one.

Thanks so much.

dennis

Members don't see this ad.

Gastro offers a much better lifestyle than cardiology. Fellowship in GI is pretty chill compared to cardiology. Think about the nature of their complications. GI complications rarely induce night call versus cardiology issues. Even GI fellowships is fairly relaxed. It's not an extension of internal medicine like cards fellowship. And then GI's can earn even more money than cardiologists because their procedures like scopes can be done quickly in an outpatient setting. A busy GI can do 30-40 scopes per week. It's not a secret why GI is more competitive than cardiology today.

i agree-i want to try to get in for gi fellowship and will try to hit the ground running as soon as i start residency. i already have some basic science research experience under my belt and can hopefully build on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellowship in GI is pretty chill compared to cardiology. Think about the nature of their complications. GI complications rarely induce night call versus cardiology issues.
Maybe relatively speaking, but the GI folks are pretty busy at the two places I've trained so far. I guess it depends to some degree on whether you're covering both general GI and hepatology, or whether your program separates out the call, and whether you're at a liver transplant center. At a busy tertiary center, the GI fellows are earning their paychecks. I run into them not infrequently when I'm in the hospital in the middle of the night.

I am having the same problem explaining why I would want to go into this field. I am shadowing some GI guys and they always ask me why and I have to avoid the question. Can you guys share your reasons for going into this field?

If you're having trouble coming up with reasons I would keep looking for your chosen specialty...compensation levels change, GI may not be a high paying specialty forever. Go into the field that really excites you and you won't go wrong for as long as you practice.

I am having the same problem explaining why I would want to go into this field. I am shadowing some GI guys and they always ask me why and I have to avoid the question. Can you guys share your reasons for going into this field?

"I love sticking things up people's butts"