Why would anybody rank Partners low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ger,
You sound like you're looking for someone to support your desire to rank Partners low. All I can say is... if you don't like a program or don't get a good vibe from it, don't rank it highly... it doesn't matter what it's reputation , etc. is. It's the next four years of your life. Then again, if that's not what you're asking, nevermind! :)

As somebody who applied to only southeastern programs, take my opinion for what you will, but...

I think in this whole process it's easy for us to get caught up in the glitz and glamour of it all. And let's face it, we're med students, whether we like it or not, we've all got an inner gunner who wants to be the best. In EVERYTHING. Be it your class football team or getting in to "the. best. residency. program. on. the. planet."

True, a program may be the shining star of it's specialty, but the real question isn't if it's the best- it's if it's the best program for you.

Reasons to not rank a superstar program highly?

• You realize that you just don't fit in with the residents. Remember, these are the people you're going to be spending nearly every waking moment with. You'd better like them enough to be stuck in a tiny team room with them at 3:30 a.m.
  • You just don't fit in with the faculty. Perhaps you want a program that's more old school and "formal," or perhaps you'd prefer a group that's a little more laid back in their approach. It's a matter of style, but even though they're your attending and "bosses," they're still your coworkers.
  • You get there and realize despite the reputation and rankings, you've got a gut feeling that it's just not the place for you.
I could make a list a mile long with reasons not to rank a program, no matter how great it is. We all want the best training we can get, but we need to be sure that in our quest to be a great physician, personal happiness can be paramount. After all, we've got to take care of ourselves before we can be the best physician possible for our patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well Said Curly!
It's too bad I didn't apply to any southeastern programs, you sound like you'd be fun to talk with at 3:30 am :)

actually if you don't want to go somewhere, you don't rank low, you keep them off you rank list. Do not put anything on your rank list unless you want to go there because if it is on your list you could be there for 3-4 years hating yourself and your life.

You don't need to justify your decisions to anyone except yourself, because your spouse, classmates, parents, mentor, PD, granny, etc are not going to be training in these programs, YOU are. Tell yourself that and make yourself believe it.

I'm too cool for Partners. :p

But seriously, it's all about feel. Curly's post is great and really everyone should read it.