Why this school? Secondary app questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So on one of the secondary applications, the question states "briefly describe why you wish to enroll at the University of ***" and I'm having a tough timing answering the question. It's research-oriented (which isn't really my strong suit) and one of the top pediatric programs in the county (also not my main interest) but it's in-state and I love the city its located in. Any tips/advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I usually found student/service groups that I would want to be a part of or I tried to align my interests with the mission statement of the school. The school website will usually be helpful in letting you know about student life at the school, find some things that interest you and mention that you'd like to be a part of them.

Another thing you can discuss is the learning style of the school. Talk about why PBL is better for your learning abilities, or why lecture based is better for you, or why you prefer flipped-classrooms.

Reactions: 1 user
How I do these questions:

Look at your strengths/ what you did in undergrad.

Research organizations, attributes about the school that will let you continue and expand on your strengths/interests.

I had to write like 10 of these guys. Honestly I feel like I'm just writing bs. But when you get to that one school where their mission statement and their student profiles and everything just matches everything you want, you know that's your school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
use search function SDN, my SDN handle, "skiing dowry" and don't talk much about how awesome the city is

my post gives ideas what to talk about

This can be part of the answer, but seriously, you're going to have to do better than this. Read their mission statement and go every every pixel in the website.

So on one of the secondary applications, the question states "briefly describe why you wish to enroll at the University of ***" and I'm having a tough timing answering the question. It's research-oriented (which isn't really my strong suit) and one of the top pediatric programs in the county (also not my main interest) but it's in-state and I love the city its located in. Any tips/advice?

PM folks if you need help. Posting your framework on here for the world to see isn't a good idea. You never know who roams this site...

PM folks if you need help. Posting your framework on here for the world to see isn't a good idea. You never know who roams this site...

Fair enough - thanks for the advice.

Just try to avoid specifics. Asking for general help is always a good idea! But personal statements and secondary answers need to remain in the privacy of a PM.

Just try to avoid specifics. Asking for general help is always a good idea! But personal statements and secondary answers need to remain in the privacy of a PM.

Gotcha. I just wasn't thinking. I'll do that from now on :laugh: thanks

There's plenty of resources on this site. Take advantage of them. I was lucky enough to get an acceptance because man, I knew nothing about this process prior to finding this website. Good luck!

There's plenty of resources on this site. Take advantage of them. I was lucky enough to get an acceptance because man, I knew nothing about this process prior to finding this website. Good luck!

Thanks man! I feel the same way sometimes. This website has helped a ton so far, just gotta keep pushing through.

Just read their website and pretend like you want to go there for a reason besides being in their stats range