Why they dont allow me to observe??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephilosphy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in LA. Many clinics just say they dont accept volunteers, and even they dont allow anyone to observe. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in LA. Many clinics just say they dont accept volunteers, and even they dont allow anyone to observe. :eek:

My best guess is that is has to do with privacy and safety. Some places probably think it's easier to just keep "extra" people out than deal with HIPAA training, clearances, etc.

Regardless of the "why", seek out a facility that welcomes students. There are plenty of places out there that will not only allow you but encourage you to get involved and learn as well. Facilities and systems that have an official volunteer program seem the best way to go IMHO.

Try applying for volunteer work at a hospital or a hospital affiliated rehab center. You can then request to volunteer specifically in the PT department. Well that's what I did. I'm not sure if all hospitals are the same but the one I volunteered at had both an acute rehab and outpatient rehab centers so I was able to experience both PT settings. Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
that's odd. have you tried contacting private clinics? if you can talk to the owner or whatnot, i can't see how they would say no unless they are just too busy or already have a couple volunteers.

I'm in LA and I have never had any issues with volunteering or observing. Try finding an aide position and get some hands on experience. There are numerous places, you just have to look harder and call the right department/person in charge. Good luck!