Why such a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anziani24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, for the past 4 years I have slaved away to remain competitive as a future dental applicant. In light of recent events (64 hours of shadowing and informative friends) I have come to the conclusion that dentistry is not the best for me. Podiatry fits SO much better into what I am looking for in a career--hard work, creativity, and helping people, among other things (aka surgeries that actually interest me). So, I check out the stats on getting in to the program and the average GPA was something like 3.1 over the past 7 years or so....why on Earth is it that low?

Members don't see this ad.

The simple answer, whether it's due to a feet stigma or people not knowing about the profession, is a lack of applicants.

nikki is correct, too many spots and not enough applicants. Just think about it, how did you found out about podiatry? I didn't even know about the professions existence until my 3rd year in undergrad. You don't ever hear anyone talking about going to podiatry.

Regardless unless you choose to go to Western or AZpod you will be rewarded with lots of scholarship money, so your hard work is not totally wasted. Also you get the satisfaction of knowing your acceptance is guaranteed. And since you were such a diligent student with a high gpa I am sure you did well in your pre-reqs and will do fine on the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let the low gpa average fool you into thinking that the curriculum is easy also. It's a humbling experience.

You should also take a look at the attrition rate...

The schools may accept applicants with GPA's all of shapes and sizes to fill seats but that doesn't mean all of those students pass.

Agreeing with nikki and feet2017, I literally found out about it earlier this year. I always thought they were MD's.

Might be easier to get into, but think of it as an ortho who specialize in feet and ankles....oh, yeah, still got to learn a **** lot in 4 years. But you add the best of every profession of medicine.

Might be easier to get into, but think of it as an ortho who specialize in feet and ankles....oh, yeah, still got to learn a **** lot in 4 years. But you add the best of every profession of medicine.

I think you meant a dermatologist/radiologist/GP/ortho/vascular/trauma/plastic/ped that focuses on the foot and ankle.

Agreed. I think that podiatry is a hidden gem. I didn't find out about it until then end of my 3rd year/beginning of my senior year.

Def a great and very rewarding profession.

Ok, for the past 4 years I have slaved away to remain competitive as a future dental applicant. In light of recent events (64 hours of shadowing and informative friends) I have come to the conclusion that dentistry is not the best for me. Podiatry fits SO much better into what I am looking for in a career--hard work, creativity, and helping people, among other things (aka surgeries that actually interest me). So, I check out the stats on getting in to the program and the average GPA was something like 3.1 over the past 7 years or so....why on Earth is it that low?

Podiatry is not popular. The foot is highly neglected which explains why the profession was created in the first place. Ever smelled a foot gangrene? or seen a diabetic foot ulcer? They don't smell good or look pretty.

Does anybody know if a 3.22 GPA (science GPA about 2.80-including Microbio, Physio1&2, BioChem 1&2, Orgo1&2) is good enough to get in.

Trying to figure out if PA schools would accept me.
Unlike most, I have known about podiatry since I was in 8th grade and wish I knew that DPM was actually easier than PA school.

I don't want to take 3 additional courses that are challenging that my major doesn't require but all PA schools in MI do require. Also, I don't want to waste a full year doing clinical work just to get rejected. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Does anybody know if a 3.22 GPA (science GPA about 2.80-including Microbio, Physio1&2, BioChem 1&2, Orgo1&2) is good enough to get in.

Unlike most, I have known about podiatry since I was in 8th grade and wish I knew that DPM was actually easier than PA school.

I don't want to take 3 additional courses that are challenging that my major doesn't require but all PA schools in MI do require. Also, I don't want to waste a full year doing clinical work just to get rejected. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Looks like you're saying that a school that graduates physicians is easier than a school that graduates assistants.

Makes sense.

I think meant it is easier to get in pod school than PA school.

Well yeah. I do think it is b/c since there are only 8 DPM programs in the nation they accept a bit more and that the practice is not well know. But even for PA schools, there are over 130 of them, but they accept less than 40 per class and GPA is more competitive b/c a lot more people know about it.

But I also realized that DPM schools count mathematics in their science GPA and now it will be around a 3.15 GPA after this semester.
I think during the Christmas break I am gonna tell my parents that I would rather be a DPM than a PA.

I wish my idiot counselor didn't tell me that DPM school was harder to get into than PA school during my Sophomore year. If she never told me that then I would probably be graduating this upcoming Spring instead of next Fall b/c I took two extra classes already that were only for PA school and not my major.

Well yeah. I do think it is b/c since there are only 8 DPM programs in the nation they accept a bit more and that the practice is not well know. But even for PA schools, there are over 130 of them, but they accept less than 40 per class and GPA is more competitive b/c a lot more people know about it.

But I also realized that DPM schools count mathematics in their science GPA and now it will be around a 3.15 GPA after this semester.
I think during the Christmas break I am gonna tell my parents that I would rather be a DPM than a PA.

I wish my idiot counselor didn't tell me that DPM school was harder to get into than PA school during my Sophomore year. If she never told me that then I would probably be graduating this upcoming Spring instead of next Fall b/c I took two extra classes already that were only for PA school and not my major.

Wow, that's some straight BS. That's why I stopped listening to my counselor after he gave me a philosophy class which I did bad in. I realized I could just do all the research on my own and figured everything out for myself.

3.22 will get you to every DPM program, but is behind for PA. PA seems to be as hard as DO or lower tier MD. In terms of difficulty of the programs, it will be similar, PA just is shorter
In terms of semesters.
Honestly unless your prehealth advisor is good(some are amazing, some just suck) contact the admissions office for PA programs talk to them. People do not seem to realize you are allowed to do this and these reps will give you a straight rundown of where you would stand. another thing to look at is the bachelors level PA is easier to get into, but you might not be able to practice in other states.

Stop listening to your counselor! There are 9 programs! Must do research!!

Yeah I agree with the "do not listen to them." Today I woke up at 8:30 AM on my one day that I only have a class at 5pm to listen to a Pre-Professional adviser tell me everything I already knew for half an hour.
It was such a waste of time. I know that Podiatry school is less competitive and I think I plan on talking to my parents during the winter break to tell them that I believe Podiatry is a better option for me.
My adviser was pointless and kept BSing me by saying "Well don't look at the GPA, there are other things they look at that are more important"

Yeah I agree with the "do not listen to them." Today I woke up at 8:30 AM on my one day that I only have a class at 5pm to listen to a Pre-Professional adviser tell me everything I already knew for half an hour.
It was such a waste of time. I know that Podiatry school is less competitive and I think I plan on talking to my parents during the winter break to tell them that I believe Podiatry is a better option for me.
My adviser was pointless and kept BSing me by saying "Well don't look at the GPA, there are other things they look at that are more important"

How much you love feet would be an example of this...:laugh:

Funny story; today a lady that I usually tutor for Gen Bio 1 came by today and was saying she had to talk to her counselor about scheduling classes for her degree. She wants to be a PhD psychologist and they had her under an Applied Sciences major, not taking any psychology classes. I was busy, but the other bio tutor helped her out to figure out her stuff. I really don't understand the way these counselors think though; I know a lot of people they have placed in the wrong direction by telling them what classes to take or screwed them over their senior year when they are about to graduate and didn't take an art class lol.