Why so many..........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentrix

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi People,I have been browsing this forum for a couple of days now,I usually stick to the Dental Forum( I'm a 3rd yr dental student at USC ) and noticed that there are so many Indians!!I in no way am a racist or want to sound discrimanatory.But I realized that there are many many Indians! in the US and a great majority of the International students/doctors are Indian.
I'm just curious to know what makes so many of you to come and leave your country( a majority of you forever!)
Is it that bad there for dentists/or even for any proffession?I'm asking this question because I know India is rapidly becoming a developing country and I hear becoming economically stable.I have an Indian friend at college that tells me that dentists are way underpaid,maybe thats the reason many of you come here

Members don't see this ad.

There are two problems taking hold in India. Political/economic corruption is beginning to run rampant. The conservative Hindu Party is hell bent on relegating the Muslims, Buddists, Sikhs, Christians, etc to second class status.

**** There are two problems taking hold in India. Political/economic corruption is beginning to run rampant. The conservative Hindu Party is hell bent on relegating the Muslims, Buddists, Sikhs, Christians, etc to second class status. ****

GroundHog,
Don't write racist comments on this thread. Just for your information, Buddhist and Sikhs are part of Hindu philosophy.

To answer Dentrix question about why there are so many
Indian Dental student in his college?
Well, Indians give lot of importance to education. Indian parents always want their kid to become well educated and many parents want their kid to become doctor or engineer. Since it is a highly paying profession. No doubt that there are so many Indian doctors and engineers. You will find lot of Indians in each and every field where very hign education is required.

Now if you ask me why Indians are in US? Then the answer is for the same reason that your parents or grand grand grand parents came to United states from Europe or any other country. Does it mean Europe is bad or there are no opportunities in Europe?

Hope it answers your question.

Sanjiv

Members don't see this ad :)
'''But I realized that there are many many Indians! in the US and a great majority of the International students/doctors are Indian.
I'm just curious to know what makes so many of you to come and leave your country( a majority of you forever!) '''

America is not a land of its own everything has been imported......even the people !!!!:laugh:
Now it is in need of great brains thats why u see lot indians around!!!!!!!!!:clap: :laugh: :clap:

what's wrong with indians, eh? I'm indian, do you not like me? jk. :cool:

America is not a land of its own everything has been imported......even the people !!!!:laugh:
Now it is in need of great brains thats why u see lot indians around!!!!!!!!!:clap: :laugh: :clap: [/B][/QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Please read "Forum etiquette" # 10 & 11 before you post. Professional behavior would be much appreciated.

Hey guys easy,I didnt mean to start a civil war:) Again I in no way posted my message with any discrimination,I was just curious.I know the US is a blend of races but I've noticed alot of Indians in the medical field.I wish education was cheap here like in India,tuitions here are way too exxagerated.

Henna I hope your post wasnt directed at me.Like I said my question was innocent.By the way Henna ,is that your picture? And where are you originally from?

I do not believe my post was racist. It merely confims that Indians are immigrating to the USA for the same valid reasons that others have done so including my forbearers (Europeans). The two main reasons are to escape economic and/or religious repression. The fact is, the conservative Hindu Party expouses an India for Hindus only and I would not be surprized to discover that the leadership of that party would like to eventually reestablish a Brahmin type caste system within the country. So I ask you? Who is racist?

I take strong objection to the comments made by groundhog.
For some reasons he seems to have a bias against Hindus.
He has no understanding of Hindu philosophy. On top of that he has a strong biased against a ruling party in India.

In his earlier posting he tried to portray that Buddhist and Sikhs are not part of Hindu mainstream. Hindus consider Lord Buddha as a 9th incarnation of Hindu god, Lord Vishnu. That itself is sufficient to prove that Buddhist are part of Hindu philosophy. Sikh religion was started to save Hindus from cruel Mughal(Islamic) ruler of India. Every family in Northern India(especially Punjab)had to give their elder son for the protection of the Hindu society at that time. That boy used to become Sikh. The literal meaning of Sikh is Soldier. The one who protects the society.
What the hell groundhog knows about Hindu religion or philosophy??

If he continues to write against Hindus then I have to file a formal complaint against him for propagating hate and discrimination against Hindus.

Sanjiv

Originally posted by newyorker
Let me answer this question. You cannot make Intl dental modulator to answer all the questions in this forums.

Yes. It is Henna's picture taken 3 decades ago.
She is also an indian. Her ancestors are Irish-Italians who settled in India in 19th century. Her Great Grandfather who was a self-taught dentist visited india in 19th century from Milan to treat dental caries/root canal work-up for a South-indian Emperor and fell in love with her daughter who was Princess-on-line for his throne. Emperor was deadly against her daughters love with a small time dentist from Italy.

However, that dentist cured Emperors intolerable dental ache and was rewarded with priceless Princess!. Afer many years, that Italian-dentist became King when his wife became Queen. After getting into power that self-taught dentist wanted to develop dentistry in Bharat India.

He started with teaching dentistry in small schools which ultimately became modern dental schools of india where thousands of indian dental graduates learn the art of dentistry.
As india's dentist patient ratio has increased to 5:1, dentists are unemployed and has started migrating to the united states.

This is the real reason for the question why so many....
Henna has taken the torch from her Great-grandfather and has become moderator who is currently incharge of international dental health. BTW..she has royal genes.

Forgot to take your medication today, Newyorker ?

Originally posted by Dentrix

Henna I hope your post wasnt directed at me.Like I said my question was innocent.By the way Henna ,is that your picture?

It was not directed at anyone in particular.
And , No ! its not my pic.

I think the best way is to just ignore comments by people who just have no other job except propagating hatred. There is only one religion. Human Religion. To love the humanity. All the religions are means to achieve the goal of ultimate peace in this world. Those here who have started with unwarranted comments need to avoid doign so. And the best we all can do is to ignore such comments by these innocent (Or do I call Idiots). If we start replying it will be like encouraging these people.

ITS TIME YOU GROW UP GUYS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you DDS Fight! I am Hindu, and I didn't take offensive to any of these posts. Everyone chill out.

DDS_FIGHT,
Sanjiv has chosen to pick a fight when there is none. My opinions about the social/economic impacts brought about by the ruling Hindu Party of India is not a judgemental statement about Hindus or their religious beliefs. I do not believe that the policies of the Hindu Party reflect the desires of all Hindus. I do not even make a value judgement about the "goodness or badness" of Hindu Party policies. India is a democracy and I have no trouble with the people of India being free to decide their own destiny. All I stated was that it is my opinion that the policies of the Hindu Party have contributed to the increase of immigration of well educated Indians to the USA. My reasoning goes like this. If I were a well educated Indian Muslim I might come to believe that my future prospects are better in the USA if the stated agenda of the ruling Hindu Party is that India should be for Hindus.

I say we kill this thread... I'm out, pce.

Originally posted by groundhog
DDS_FIGHT,
Sanjiv has chosen to pick a fight when there is none. My opinions about the social/economic impacts brought about by the ruling Hindu Party of India is not a judgemental statement about Hindus or their religious beliefs. I do not believe that the policies of the Hindu Party reflect the desires of all Hindus. I do not even make a value judgement about the "goodness or badness" of Hindu Party policies. India is a democracy and I have no trouble with the people of India being free to decide their own destiny. All I stated was that it is my opinion that the policies of the Hindu Party have contributed to the increase of immigration of well educated Indians to the USA. My reasoning goes like this. If I were a well educated Indian Muslim I might come to believe that my future prospects are better in the USA if the stated agenda of the ruling Hindu Party is that India should be for Hindus.

Let me add just 1 more thing.Most of the migration from India to U.S happened during late 80's and early 90's long before the so called "Hindu "party [the correct name is Bharathiya Janatha Party]came to power.So that argument goes through the window:p

Originally posted by newyorker
Let me answer this question. You cannot make Intl dental modulator to answer all the questions in this forums.

Yes. It is Henna's picture taken 3 decades ago.
She is also an indian. Her ancestors are Irish-Italians who settled in India in 19th century. Her Great Grandfather who was a self-taught dentist visited india in 19th century from Milan to treat dental caries/root canal work-up for a South-indian Emperor and fell in love with her daughter who was Princess-on-line for his throne. Emperor was deadly against her daughters love with a small time dentist from Italy.

However, that dentist cured Emperors intolerable dental ache and was rewarded with priceless Princess!. Afer many years, that Italian-dentist became King when his wife became Queen. After getting into power that self-taught dentist wanted to develop dentistry in Bharat India.

He started with teaching dentistry in small schools which ultimately became modern dental schools of india where thousands of indian dental graduates learn the art of dentistry.
As india's dentist patient ratio has increased to 5:1, dentists are unemployed and has started migrating to the united states.

This is the real reason for the question why so many....
Henna has taken the torch from her Great-grandfather and has become moderator who is currently incharge of international dental health. BTW..she has royal genes.

:laugh: :laugh::laugh:
mili:)

Groundhog,

It will be better for you if you concentrate on your dental studies rather than misusing this thread for propagating your whimsical ideas and your bias towards India's ruling party. :clap:

If you are interested in learning Hindu philosophy(I genuinely doubt that) you will be better of reading the books by Swami Vivekandana or Ramkrishna mission which nicely explains how Jains, Buddhist and Sikhs are various streams of the same river of Hindu philosophy. :clap:

Sanjiv

Sanjiv, vindo, and DDS-FIGHT I don't know how this thread went off on such a tangent. I attempted to provide one possible answer to the original question without passing judgement. However, I do thank all of you for inspiring me to do further research. I found this article by a gentleman who did not seem to have any particular axe to grind except to promote the overall good of his beloved India. I would be interested in your thoughts. http://www.samarthbharat.com/godhra.htm

There are two problems taking hold in India. Political/economic corruption is beginning to run rampant. The conservative Hindu Party is hell bent on relegating the Muslims, Buddists, Sikhs, Christians, etc to second class status.

Sanjiv, vindo, and DDS-FIGHT I don't know how this thread went off on such a tangent. I attempted to provide one possible answer to the original question without passing judgement.

What are your other possible answers, groundhog ?
If your first post on this thread wasn't judgemental then may be Iam using the wrong dictionary.
The article you mentioned doesnt justify what you said, so what's your point ?

POST-IT,
My point was and still is that threats to one's future well being (whether real or perceived) can be a strong incentive for such a person to relocate to an area where such threats are perceived to not exist.

That said, I am a person who is always willing to reassess my views. My initial understanding, based upon what I had read up to that point, was that the the BJP had an overt agenda to relegate non-Hindus to second class status in India. So I thanked the other posters because after reading the article I referenced in the prior post, I came to a more sophisticated understanding of the situation. I now am somewhat persuaded that the BJP is attempting to establish a sense of national identity, pride and culture within India that truly reflects its roots. However, many in India (especially Muslims and Christians) have righly or wrongly percieved such an agenda as not being in their long term interest. So, since perception is reality to the perceiver, there are folks in India who feel threatened by the BJP and the RSS. Maybe I still don't have a complete understanding. But good debate is for those who have an open mind and are willing to grow and learn.

Other reasons? I guess one could suggest almost anything such as a call from God to evangelize the USA in the name of (your choice). However, I tried to stay with a reason that I felt I could support based upon my limited knowledge.

From another perspective,

The Y2K problem was when US needed professional workers to work in the feild of computers, since they couldn't come up with so many Americans to work for them they started being more liberal and looked into other countries for workers, that's when the brain drain from India started. India being in the forefront of this field it was easy to get professional workers from there. And it was also economical for them to hire outside help as they didn't have to pay as much. So the humongous demand for engineers was met by importing 100's and 1000's of Indians.
In India a well educated man or women will usually prefer to marry another well educated person., so when all the engg husbands moved to the US the wives followed along . If you've noticed we have more female Intr'nal dental students than male, that's 'cause we are born into a time where there is a full fledged feminist movement going on in India thus you see a lot of females who are also professionals ( mostly in the field of health care ). Lot of importance is given to education of a female in India. Health care is a competitive field and the number of females in it shows the success of the feminist movement.

I hope this resolves this issue.

Politics is dirty I agree, but I doubt if that alone would get Indians the visa that is required to come to the US.

Henna is correct. There also had to be a need plus an open door in the USA for well educated Indian immigrants. However, there also had to be a willingness to immigrate. I would maintain that most folks do not choose to immigrate out of a sense of adventure. My theory is that most folks immigrate because they perceive a better future in the foreign country than in their homeland.

My theory is that most folks immigrate because they perceive a better future in the foreign country than in their homeland.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Let's stop talking about Indians and India and how brilliant they are. There are plenty of other countries that have some of their best professionals studying here....and they don't waste their time childishly discussing issues that are irrelevant and futile.

Originally posted by Laser
Let's stop talking about Indians and India and how brilliant they are. There are plenty of other countries that have some of their best professionals studying here....and they don't waste their time childishly discussing issues that are irrelevant and futile.
what is it that you dont understand ? Nobody volenteered any information , if you have read the OP post you'd know that he asked to know why so many Indians are here in the US, its not like all the Indians are just talking about it for no reason.