Why so many FMGs in Path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteoGASDOC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also noticed a good chunk of residents have a MD along with a PhD..why is that? will i be ok with a D.O.?

Members don't see this ad.

I also noticed a good chunk of residents have a MD along with a PhD..why is that? will i be ok with a D.O.?

Clearly, these "chunks" are simple gluttons for "studenthood," silly people ;). You will be fine with a D.O. I know more than one pathologist who is a D.O.

Members don't see this ad :)

I guess the real question is why so many DO's in allopathic medicine???? never understood the whole DO concept anyway.

Oh good lord. We are not having an MD vs DO debate here. Go somewhere else for that.

The reasons there are so many FMGs in path is because there are more residency spots than the demand among US grads, in addition many FMGs come here with a research background (hence the frequency of MD/PhD) and pathology lends itself to research.

Rosai, Kumar, Abbas, Fausto, not to mention Osler (one-time pathologist)...

Clearly we have a problem with FMGs in pathology. :scared:

why is it a problem? :smuggrin:

I wouldn't call this a problem, I would say all these extraordinary pathologists that you just mentioned are a great addition to pathology, not a "problem".....

Pretty sure they were being sarcastic, guys......... :rolleyes:

We are not having an AMG vs FMG debate either.

FMGs in path are a mixed bag though; for every brilliant FMG who finished residency in their home country with PhD + pubs, it seems there is one who can barely speak English +/- utterly clueless. Though perhaps this will change as path gets more competitive.

We are not having an AMG vs FMG debate either.

FMGs in path are a mixed bag though; for every brilliant FMG who finished residency in their home country with PhD + pubs, it seems there is one who can barely speak English +/- utterly clueless. Though perhaps this will change as path gets more competitive.

There are plenty of clueless AMG's as well I can tell you......(plenty of brillant AMG's too, of course)

Anyone see that John Stewart comedy piece with the East Indian guy making fun of the potential Sanjay Gupta appointment? I died laughing....at one point John Stewart turns to guy and says shouldnt Sanjay be proud already since he is a neurosurgeon and the guy replies "No no no, John we are all born with basic medical knowledge...we are all neurosurgeons!"

LMAO:laugh:

OK I am going to stop before this degenerates into a state-the-obvious debate ;)

LADoc00 have you checked out Russell Peters on Youtube?

When I'm bored I like to get into pointless arguments about the division of "East Indian" from "Asian". And "Middle Eastern" for that matter.

Simple. Pathology has only filled 40-60% of the spots with AMGs for the last 15-20 years. Ergo, plenty of room for FMGs who will take anything to get a shot at the lucrative compensation of medicine in the US. I have met so many FMGs trained as OBs, Surgeons, subspecialty surgeons, and other fields who are pathologists at US universities (of course they had to do a path residency in the US first)

Yeah. The most of the brightest lights in pathology were/are FMGs. It is pretty simple. FMGs are less likely to be given shots at ACME General Hospital where all physicians are American and of European descent, so they go into academics, make a huge name for themselves, and then get just desserts by dissing all the diagnoses of the community pathology J-offs.