why should I do neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackDeez

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that people are actually interested in neurology.

Theres no money, theres no real curative/procedureal activity in neurology. All you do is diagnose and then send them off.

Don't get me wrong...I mean from the looks of my step 1 I'll end up doing neurology but I was really hoping for neurosurg. Oh well. But if you can tell me what you enjoy most out of neurology besides lifestyle I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Theres no money, theres no real curative/procedureal activity in neurology. All you do is diagnose and then send them off.

Don't get me wrong...I mean from the looks of my step 1 I'll end up doing neurology but I was really hoping for neurosurg. Oh well. But if you can tell me what you enjoy most out of neurology besides lifestyle I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

The money is respectable-easily enough for my lifestyle.

Neurosurgeons and neurologists both deal with many patients with severe permanent neurological deficits. If you were comparing neurology with plastic surgery, you would have a better argument. Also, some neurological diseases have very effective treatments for most patients (epilepsy, certain pain conditions/headaches, AIDP, myasthenia, etc), and others will have increasingly effective treatments in the future (i.e. stroke, MS).

I have little to no interest in doing procedures. I did 2 weeks of neurosurgery, and I remember being bored even when the attending let me drill a burr hole.

If you are interested in procedures, you should probably go for a surgical specialty as opposed to neurology.

I enjoy neurology because to me, the cases are awesome and beautiful. The subject matter is intrinsically fascinating, and I imagine myself being interested in continuing to learn about neurology for the next 40 years. I also enjoy working with older patients with serious illnesses.

By the way, the lifestyle isn't all that great for neurology in certain subspecialties (i.e. stroke, neurointensive care).

Oh and one more thing...I got >260 on both step I and step II ck. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

I know exactly what you mean. The six figures that I will be making in just a couple of months as a staff neurologist is almost insulting. How do they expect a guy to make a living. Oh well, I guess since I won't be making 500K per year I am going to have to resort to eating Kraft Cheese 'N Macaroni and day old bread. I better also polish up my Ford Pinto so that I can trade it in for a 1982 GMC conversion van. This way, I can drive and live in it at the same time since my six figure salary is so pathetic!

Now, lets get to the more serious note here. There is a lot that you can do to help people in neurology. As a resident, yeah, you see that same old crap and sometimes it does seem like you are just see yet another old person with a stroke, but there are other things to consider, and some of these things are more lucrative and competitive: neurocritical care, interventional neurology, interventional pain, sleep medicine, etc.