Why salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

live2theedge

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why pediatric salaries are so low. The pediatrician I did my rotations with never saw less than 40 patients a day when I was there. He said often during the winter 55. This was all while working 38-40 hours a week. So let's say hypothetically:
Some level 2/3
Low end reimbursement 75$ per visit and low end 40 patients per day.
75$ X 40 patients X 5 days X 48 weeks(-4 vacation)
800k a year he had two lpn's employed.. So even u payed 400k in salaries overhead malpractice and billing that leaves 400k. Where is all the money going to make the average salary 180k. It seems to me they should make more money than fam prac because it's difficult to see over 25 patients a day. I kno u throw in some labs and ekgs etc but...not 20 patients worth of billing? I plan on doing emergency medicine I'm Just asking out of curiosity. I was a finance major in undergrad... It just doesn't add up to me.
I thought this was a great question and it wasn't being answered well in the other thread.
I don't know about the $75 per visit. However some states Medicaid reimbursement is above Medicare levels. So the lower reimbursement from Medicaid doesn't fly at least in those states.
Does anybody know the answer?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are overestimating the actual reimbursement. Also in which states does Medicaid reimburse higher than medicare? Either way reimbursement is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.