Why PT school's graduation rate is higher than PTA school? is PTA even more intense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkilft999

Reaction score
Hello everyone, the following is my background, I'm not looking for an easy path, I just don't know if my English ability can handle extremely intense courses. Also, there is a thing makes me skeptical, why the PT school's graduation rate is higher than PTA school? I found that PT school's grad-rate is more than 95%, while PTA - 70~85%, what makes it different? is PTA school even more intense?

I'm an immigrant from Taiwan who just keeps worrying about my English ability. I was thinking about applying to MOT, because I have got my BS degree in another field and MOT only takes 2 years to get a MS degree. But then there is a Taiwanese OT suggesting me the PT/PTA route, especially the PTA route. She said that OT program has more theory things( she didn't make it clear, but I just think it is because of psychology things in OT domain), although it is also different from school to school. She also underscored that her boyfriend is in the PTA program and her sister finished the program, she said the PTA program takes less time and more practical things than reading which will be easier for me to adapt.

In the beginning, I just heard that there is almost no difference between DPT and PTA, except the salary and how long you will need to spend on the school. ( I mean the difficulty of studying, and what she said just surprised me.)

I'm thinking to go to PTA school first and then go to work for a while. When my English is good enough for massive reading and writing, I can go to apply for PT schools. My target is Texas. ( I knew everybody doesn't encourage to do this for normal people, but if what she said is true, maybe this is the best route for me?)

By the way, I have heard a PT saying that when he was in the program, he needed to read about 800 pages per week and other works, I think now maybe I can read 80?...I used to study for 4~6 hours every day and had straight A in university's major, but if it goes on English, I don't have confidence.

I have posted this in the pre-PT side, but it seems that nobody knew the answer and I think maybe there would be some people here who may help me.

Thank you for reading, could you give me an advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think PTA school is more rigorous but I do think that maybe the quality of the students is different. i.e. DPT students already have their undergraduate degree and are generally high achievers. Some PTA students are too, but not all of them and they often come right out of high school. I wouldn't go to PTA school if you want to be a PT. It would be experience, which is helpful but it doesn't "count" toward your DPT

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think PTA school is more rigorous but I do think that maybe the quality of the students is different. i.e. DPT students already have their undergraduate degree and are generally high achievers. Some PTA students are too, but not all of them and they often come right out of high school. I wouldn't go to PTA school if you want to be a PT. It would be experience, which is helpful but it doesn't "count" toward your DPT

Thank you for the advice! My concern is that maybe I can't handle intense courses because of my English ability. If PTA school is much easier, I should endeavor toward PTA school, if it is almost the same intensity, I think I should give PT school a shot.

I think maybe the hybrid DPT is more suitable for me, it prolongs the program to 4 years, it means that I will have a lot of time in weeks days and elevate my chance to finish the class and pass the exam. Although it will be expensive...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! My concern is that maybe I can't handle intense courses because of my English ability. If PTA school is much easier, I should endeavor toward PTA school, if it is almost the same intensity, I think I should give PT school a shot.

I think maybe the hybrid DPT is more suitable for me, it prolongs the program to 4 years, it means that I will have a lot of time in weeks days and elevate my chance to finish the class and pass the exam. Although it will be expensive...
PT school is definitely more intense than PTA school. another route might be move to the states if you are not already here, and work on your English skills before applying. don't get a degree you will be unsatisfied with.

PT school is definitely more intense than PTA school. another route might be move to the states if you are not already here, and work on your English skills before applying. don't get a degree you will be unsatisfied with.

Thank you for the advice:)

That was my initial plan, just go to Texas, take pre-classes in community college and take ESL classes. However, I just don't know after 1 year to what extent my English can be improved, I'm sure it will evolve a lot, but I don't know if I can handle the classes which even native speakers think are very hard( heard a lot of people saying that studying 50~60 hours in weekdays, including classes, is normal, I will need to spend even more time.

But sometimes I think that maybe I can just follow this plan and just give it a shot, the worse situation is that I wast maybe 20000 dollars for tuition and 1 year in the school.

I'm debating between two options now I think, one is going to DPT directly, one is going to Flex DPT which will be more expensive than the first option about 60000 dollars...( or no PT schools what me and then need to fight for PTA schools:bookworm:)

Thank you for the advice:)

That was my initial plan, just go to Texas, take pre-classes in community college and take ESL classes. However, I just don't know after 1 year to what extent my English can be improved, I'm sure it will evolve a lot, but I don't know if I can handle the classes which even native speakers think are very hard( heard a lot of people saying that studying 50~60 hours in weekdays, including classes, is normal, I will need to spend even more time.

But sometimes I think that maybe I can just follow this plan and just give it a shot, the worse situation is that I wast maybe 20000 dollars for tuition and 1 year in the school.

I'm debating between two options now I think, one is going to DPT directly, one is going to Flex DPT which will be more expensive than the first option about 60000 dollars...( or no PT schools what me and then need to fight for PTA schools:bookworm:)
What is your undergraduate major? if it is health/biology related I think the 50-60 hours per week is on the very very high end. I think I never studied that much. probably 1/3 of that.

What is your undergraduate major? if it is health/biology related I think the 50-60 hours per week is on the very very high end. I think I never studied that much. probably 1/3 of that.

My major is Russian, which didn't help me both the health field and English ability eigher:( That's why I concern because I don't have any advantage.

You mean you studied, for instance, 1 or 2 hours every day?

My major is Russian, which didn't help me both the health field and English ability eigher:( That's why I concern because I don't have any advantage.

You mean you studied, for instance, 1 or 2 hours every day?
some days more, some days less but that is probably about right. And yes, Russian is not much of a springboard into the health fields lol

some days more, some days less but that is probably about right. And yes, Russian is not much of a springboard into the health fields lol

Hahahahaha, ya... I think I'm very "traditional" student who wants to transfer their career:p

Could you tell me, which courses you think that are hard, and if I study before I enter the program, the program can be a lot easier for me?

For example, if I go to a med school and memorize as much as I can muscles, bones...or I get some courses in kinesiology, neuroscience, biomechanics, maybe then I just learn it again in the program?

Zdrasvuitche! I had 4 years of Russian in college - and forgot just about everything; it's one *tough* language.

You can familiarize yourself with anatomy ahead of time; however unless you can see the actual stuff on a cadaver or use it every day (when you work as a PT), it will be hard to retain.

Hahahahaha, ya... I think I'm very "traditional" student who wants to transfer their career:p

Could you tell me, which courses you think that are hard, and if I study before I enter the program, the program can be a lot easier for me?

For example, if I go to a med school and memorize as much as I can muscles, bones...or I get some courses in kinesiology, neuroscience, biomechanics, maybe then I just learn it again in the program?
anatomy is the most memorization
physiology and exercise physiology are probably conceptually, the two most difficult classes

Zdrasvuitche! I had 4 years of Russian in college - and forgot just about everything; it's one *tough* language.

You can familiarize yourself with anatomy ahead of time; however unless you can see the actual stuff on a cadaver or use it every day (when you work as a PT), it will be hard to retain.

Zdrasvuitche! :)( I found that on this website we can't type Russian:joyful:) Thank you for the advice! I will go to take some classes in med-school first grade in Taiwan, but I don't know if they have any cadaver for the first grade student...But I will try as hard as I can to memorize it!

anatomy is the most memorization
physiology and exercise physiology are probably conceptually, the two most difficult classes

Thank you for the reply!!:) I didn't know that exercise physiology is really hard either!! How about biomechanics and neuroscience? I think I can maybe take 1~2 of the hard classes ahead besides prerequisites.

Can anyone that’s gotten into University of North Texas tell me there stats? I’ve seen a lot of great stats get rejected so I’m super nervous to apply there.

My stats are
GPA; 3.79
Last 60; 3.82
Observation hours; 130+ even mix of out and in patient
GRE: 156Q 154V 4.5W (yes i know UNT doesn’t look at GRE)

Anyone at Georgia State University, please tell me about your experience there not only with the school but with the area. I just visited and the immediate area was a little scary, but idk if that’s bc it’s summer and there’s less students or what.

Thank you for the reply!!:) I didn't know that exercise physiology is really hard either!! How about biomechanics and neuroscience? I think I can maybe take 1~2 of the hard classes ahead besides prerequisites.

they all have their challenges but, yeah, neuroscience and biomechanics can be tough conceptually, but math (biomechanics) translates better across languages. I forgot about neuroscience class.

I NEVER read 800 pages per week in PT school! I do not think on average I even read 50 pages per week... I am a very slow reader and English is not my 1st language either. I did go to the hybrid program and it was very doable. I would highly recommend it if you have doubts in your ability to keep up with the full time workload. You can always try to transfer to the full-time program later or just work part-time while at school if it gets too easy for you and you do not know what to do with your free time:).