Why posted scores are irrelevant...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theman1990

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the last couple of months I've followed the scores threads and used all the predictors etc, but it's occurred to me there is one MAJOR flaw... In all this time I've not seen a single failure score posted. I've read one post where someone posted for their wife or something, but in the end, no failures... I realize failing is rare (well, at least at schools other than mine...) but it dawns on me that NO med student EVER admits to failing anything, much less Step 1. At my school I had a girl who failed not once but twice trying to tell me "don't sweat it, and don't study like mad it's not THAT hard" AFTER she had her results!

In the end all of the correlating performance on NBME and Uworld tests and %'s means jack b/c people who bomb it don't tell anyone...

Anyhow, I'm going to get back to studying step 1 material b/c even though I already took it, I umm.. just like to stay current.... yeah.... current that's it... no other reason... uhh... just currency!

Members don't see this ad.

No doubt that there is a bias, since people with low scores or fails probably don't post.
The % correct on UW can be helpful if you are not doing well on it since you can then postpone the exam.

I think the posted scores and experiences are for the benefit of the up and coming 2nd years and those who haven't taken the test (and to gloat). If a student barely passes or fails, then we really don't need to see their experience. Maybe if you're one of those lower scorers you can share what not to do. We all know the scores here are inflated. Learn from those who've done well, it's all about maximizing your potential.

I think the posted scores and experiences are for the benefit of the up and coming 2nd years and those who haven't taken the test (and to gloat). If a student barely passes or fails, then we really don't need to see their experience. Maybe if you're one of those lower scorers you can share what not to do. We all know the scores here are inflated. Learn from those who've done well, it's all about maximizing your potential.

I understand the "reasoning" but here's the flaw... (BTW, I'm just making up numbers here, so don't argue that "X% = a lower/higher score than you say")

Say you're a worried 2nd year and you are pulling 50% on Uworld. Well you come here and see that 10 people posted pulling 50% all made in the 200+ range. Well they think "yay! I'll pass" However, maybe 40 other people making 50% score below 185, but none post b/c they know people will point and laugh and call them names b/c they are not as smart and good looking as the passing score people.

Now the intrepid 2nd year is unknowingly banking on a 20% pass rate, but THINKING it's much better...

Anyhow, I'm just throwing that out there for people.... And BTW I am a Fred V2 score guy so I truly have no idea what my score is yet, but according to what I read on here it's 245 +/- 55pts (I hope).

Members don't see this ad :)
The scores (be they real or slightly padded a few points), are not as important as the info about sources and how they helped (or were useless) on the exam.

The only scores that should be taken seriously are full-length anyway, since UW etc are hardly ever taken in real-test conditions.

you should also smoke some jimson weed while you practice questions to simulate how you'll actually feel during the step

you should also smoke some jimson weed while you practice questions to simulate how you'll actually feel during the step

was gonna hit up some purple kush during my next session actually.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT CONDONE THE USE OF NARCOTICS FOR STUDYING OR ANY OTHER ACTIVITY. PLEASE DON'T ARREST ME.

The scores (be they real or slightly padded a few points), are not as important as the info about sources and how they helped (or were useless) on the exam.

The only scores that should be taken seriously are full-length anyway, since UW etc are hardly ever taken in real-test conditions.

I always thought everyone would take it under exam conditions, since that's the only way one should expect an accurate prediction. But then the other day i saw someone suggesting taking a NBME form under simulated conditions and i was like wtf!? I took my first two blocks, took 30min or so off for lunch and then took the other two. I honestly thought that's what everyone did...

Same with uworld, I sit in the study centre and take two blocks, timed and random, then I review them later...

How do other people take these? Do they like check things while they are busy with an NBME? That seems so ******ed!

:)

I understand the "reasoning" but here's the flaw... (BTW, I'm just making up numbers here, so don't argue that "X% = a lower/higher score than you say")

Say you're a worried 2nd year and you are pulling 50% on Uworld. Well you come here and see that 10 people posted pulling 50% all made in the 200+ range. Well they think "yay! I'll pass" However, maybe 40 other people making 50% score below 185, but none post b/c they know people will point and laugh and call them names b/c they are not as smart and good looking as the passing score people.

Now the intrepid 2nd year is unknowingly banking on a 20% pass rate, but THINKING it's much better...

Anyhow, I'm just throwing that out there for people.... And BTW I am a Fred V2 score guy so I truly have no idea what my score is yet, but according to what I read on here it's 245 +/- 55pts (I hope).

This is exactly the point I was trying to make several posts ago when someone claimed he was studying hard, scoring 50% on UW questions, and wanted to know if he had a chance of breaking 230 on the real exam in 2 weeks. I said it was highly unlikely and someone in the forum took me to task for it. But, you make the case quite well with this scenario.