why post-bac avg 7 pts for MCAT????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jusawannabdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi post-bac alumni,

most ppl that go into a postbac with a low 20 score (20-22) usually raise it to 27-29.... can anyone give some explanation for why they think its so difficult to get a 30+ score even after an intense yr of review? this is an honest question no one take offense plz i know a 7 or 8 pt increase is awesome!! but what does it take to get a 30+?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi post-bac alumni,

most ppl that go into a postbac with a low 20 score (20-22) usually raise it to 27-29.... can anyone give some explanation for why they think its so difficult to get a 30+ score even after an intense yr of review? this is an honest question no one take offense plz i know a 7 or 8 pt increase is awesome!! but what does it take to get a 30+?
I don't know what people you're talking about - I think you may be mistaken.

Assuming you're talking about SMPs, these programs run around $50k per year, vs. about $1500 for an MCAT prep course. Some SMPs include an MCAT course, but it's a tiny, optional part of the program and it's not going to be any different from Kaplan or TPR.

I recommend the MCAT forum: there's a huge thread called "secrets of 30+" or something like that.

this question is directed to ppl that have done a post-bac that has mcat prep built in... the avg increase is about 7pts

Members don't see this ad :)
i will try one more time.... there are post bacs like ur talkin about where the main focus isnt mcat prep. im talking about programs where the 1st yr of the post bac is almost entirely dedicated to the student improving their mcat score as the program is geared to students with low mcats in the first place. (retake prereqs and have an extensive prep course built in for the entire yr) i have talked to several ppl and different post bac programs and the avg is about a 7-8pt increase after a year of prep. so i was asking for ppl that do post bacs like the one im referring to..... what are the challenges in receiving a 30+ score

This is far more conjecture than real data, but I know that a lot of people have trouble raising their verbal score than either of the science sub-sections. In my experience, it's easier to increase the PS and BS sections because there are discrete subject areas to know, whereas increasing a VR score can be more challenging because there isn't a formula to memorize or technique to apply.

That being said, being a member of one of these MCAT-focused post-bacc programs doesn't ensure a 7-8 point increase. You may fall well below that number, or excel and achieve a higher score. You should also be aware of statistics: applicants who sit for a second (or third, or fourth...) MCAT exam generally show little variation from their original score, usually +/- 1 or 2 points. Earning 7-8 more puts you on one end of the bell curve.

I'm looking for a PDF from AAMC to support this (I found it a while back) and will post a link when I find it.

i will try one more time.... there are post bacs like ur talkin about where the main focus isnt mcat prep. im talking about programs where the 1st yr of the post bac is almost entirely dedicated to the student improving their mcat score as the program is geared to students with low mcats in the first place. (retake prereqs and have an extensive prep course built in for the entire yr) i have talked to several ppl and different post bac programs and the avg is about a 7-8pt increase after a year of prep. so i was asking for ppl that do post bacs like the one im referring to..... what are the challenges in receiving a 30+ score

Aren't we touchy. We are trying to be helpful to you here, if that's not clear. If you could name one of these programs you're citing, you might get some useful information.

Midlife is just trying to help you out. No one is exactly sure what program(s) you're referring to.

I will say this: If an individual can't get a 30 after a 12 months of full-time MCAT prep, he/she is probably not ever going to. That doesn't necessarily mean the person in question won't make a good doctor; it just means that his or her potential for this particular standardized test has likely been fully realized in the high 20s. You don't absolutely need a 30+ to get into medical school.

Yeah, I don't know what the hostility is about, but seriously it sounds like a made up statistic. Especially since I have never heard of a post-bacc, MA/MS, or SMP where the first year is purely mcat prep. You might be mistaking people claiming that taking advanced science courses or first year med classes helped them prepare, but it would be rather foolish to pay $20k+ just for mcat prep; that's better spent money on an actual prep course and then a foreign leizurely trip after you ace the test.

I'm not sure what SMP would take a student with a MCAT in the low 20s honestly, as these programs are for people who are boarderline. I know drexel's SMP, on their website, claims their minimum is a 27 with no less than 8 or 9 in one section. In my masters program the minimum was a 25.

The only person or thing that will give you a 7 point increase in your MCAT score is you; no magic bullet SMP or prep course.

Post bacs, not smps where u do a review of the prereqs and have built in mcat prep like msp and medprep not things like Georgetown and ims

I agree with midlife and Newmans here. This 7 point stat seems as though it pure speculation...I completed a Post Bacc and am now in a Masters of Liberal Arts program and have never heard of a 7 point increase average.

Further, I do not know of any programs that spend a year focusing on raising the MCAT. In fact, if they do exist then I would greatly question their efficacy. The MCAT is a knowledge based test---no way around that one-either you know the material or you don't. Granted, verbal is a bit more broad, but PS and BS are all about knowledge-therefore, postbaccs-at least the top ones- teach primarily the courses-not the test.

Drexel msp is that way... U cram each of the prereqs into 1 semester instead of across 2 semesters with mcat prep 3 days a week then 2 grad level courses so the program is geared toward raising the mcat where they accept scores 17 - 26. What everone else is talking about is things like ims where u show u can handle med school and ur mcat should already b solid

I shouldve just directed this thread to past mspers as I've been told during the open house that the act increase is 7pts. Mcat prep starts in sept and ends in may so the program really is geared to raise ur mcat 1st, then gpa

I shouldve just directed this thread to past mspers as I've been told during the open house that the act increase is 7pts. Mcat prep starts in sept and ends in may so the program really is geared to raise ur mcat 1st, then gpa

if you are going to this program to raise your mcat score than you are really missing the point of the program. if you want to raise your mcat score take a kaplan course and study your ass off. I highly doubt that the studying you do via this program will compare to you just sitting down, disciplining yourself and studying for the mcat like everyone else. I have heard about the program you're referring to and I really would not suggest you going into it just for mcat prep. the rest is up to you. btw, please speak with the people on this forum with respect because they are offering you very important advice.If you have something you feel was not expressed properly then restate it but drop the attitude because no one has time or patience for it. best of luck to you.:xf:

The reason why I had the attitude because ppl were coming across as if I didn't know what I was talking about when they were not even aware of the program. The program is geared toward raising mcat and gpa and with certain qualifications allows you continue on to take med courses and show adcoms that you can handle med school which is why I am going. Too many assumptions are being thrown around on this thread. I actually got the real answer through someone else on another thread. thanks!