Why plastic surgery rocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harrie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
While going through the stress/anxiety of the application process I'm starting to get a little disgruntled about the whole process. Who wants to remind us tired and stressed applicants about all the good things about plastic surgery???

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious too know an answer to this too, plastics seems very interesting, and yet almost impossible to get into...........

Harrie said:
While going through the stress/anxiety of the application process I'm starting to get a little disgruntled about the whole process. Who wants to remind us tired and stressed applicants about all the good things about plastic surgery???

You know why you love it. I certainly know why I do. I just finished my 800th case as a resident and I still get excited every time there is a possibility of scrubbing a plastics procedure (which isn't often.) The cases are mindblowingly awesome and fun. Even burn cases are awesome. I look at burn cases like planting a garden. On the 5th day you get to take down the dressings and see the results of your work, just like when your plants start bearing fruit. It takes a while to get used to the heat in the OR but if you have good music and pretend you are vacationing somewhere tropical its fun. You'll never feel so studly in the operating room as when you walk out drenched in sweat and blood. More often than not that is the case with burns. The only other times I have gotten that pumped is when I have cracked chests in the trauma bay.

Besides the cases there are the people. Have you ever met an unhappy plastic surgeon? I haven't. They walk around with the biggest smiles of anyone in the hospital. The best guys are the ones who all the nurses and patients love. They are respectful and polite and they take time to answer questions. You want to know why? They are respectful and polite because they are happy. They take time to answer questions because the have the time.

Anyway hang in there. Don't listen to all that crazy talk on plastics2002. A lot of people on there try to raise anxiety just to be mean. Everyone is in the same boat and all stressed out. No need to make it worse.

Yeah, was just having a rough couple of days. I know I want to be a plastic surgeon and I'm feeling a lot better about it now...especially since I started getting some interviews.