Why order a CBC to workup a headache?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waysensei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading through FA for Step 2 CS and for a headache, it often lists a CBC as the first step in the workup. I'm wondering why this is and what information it adds. The only thing I can think of is that it may help to r/o infection and polycythemia which may produce clots?

Members don't see this ad.

i can't think of a great reason, but how many pt have you had who get a cbc, bmp, cxr etc for no good reason?

its defensive medicine and in the case of CS, just something to fill in the space on your note

Things associated with headaches that can be seen on CBC: Anemia, polycythemia, thrombocytopenia (with resulting bleed), thrombocytosis, leukocytosis (neoplastic or reactive), leukemia (chronic or acute).

You have to rule out Temporal arteritis which has increased erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) > 60 mm/hour, mild leukocytosis, mild normochromic normocytic anemia, thrombocytosis and occasionally (20-30%) liver function test abnormalities (usually increased alkaline phosphatase). For migraines, tension headaches there is no need for a CBC, but it would help.