Why not so many docs on this sight.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAFdoc

exUSAFdoc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen several comments on vcarious threads on this sight mention things about there not being too many docs here, and that the ones who are logging on here are "too negative" and can't be believed.

Well, I have only beed logging on here for a few months. I found this sight kinda by accident while searching for other info on the web. I do not know of any family docs that that had ever even heard of this sight.

So do not think that just because there are relatively few active duty military docs logging on hear that that is some indication that they are just so pleased about the direction of military med that they feel no reason to talk about it.

And if you are already committed to serving, don't worry about it either, after all, what can you do? You are serving your country and it's troops and dependents. But like I said in previous threads, 6 months after you "meet" your military physician job, you will be asking yourself what in the world is going on? this health care system is crazy! Then you start thinking about a possible civilian job. It didn't always used to be this way, but it is now.

At least in the USAF primary care world we have our Surgeon General to thank for steering this whole Primary care platform right over a cliff. Nice job sir! You can open your eyes now!

Members don't see this ad.

Yawn, all of this unproductive complaining fills most of the other threads, too. Next time, try telling us what you are doing to try to better your clinic/department. It was a USAF FP that convinced me to spend some time practicing for the military.

Leviathanius said:
Yawn, all of this unproductive complaining fills most of the other threads, too. Next time, try telling us what you are doing to try to better your clinic/department. It was a USAF FP that convinced me to spend some time practicing for the military.

He is, we are trying to better things. We are warning unsuspecting, poor students to not be a part of something they will be unhappy with.

If you are happy with what you are doing, then fine.

As I have said many times before, everything I say is for those who have not committed yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leviathanius said:

read my other threads if you have any concern over the state of FP in the USAF.

Myself and my colleagues busted our hides working in our clinic 12-18 hrs a day and every weekend, and we did make improvements in care, but when you are consistently mustering 6 people for a clinic that is supposed to have a staff of 31, life will suck for the staff and the patients. Things WILL fall through the cracks and bad things WILL happen.

It amazes me how some people (Leviathan)will ignore the completely obvious.

I have met and spoken to FPs at 10-20 other bases and we all share the same stories (100% of us) about extreme lack of manning, lack of autonomy, and 100% separation.....and yet the occassional person like you dismisses all of this because you may have found one spot out there in the USAF as of yet unblemmished.

Shame on you "Leviathan", you should not be so easily fooled.

Yes, poor pitiful me. Oh, how I wish there were no poblems in life and everything was just dandy. Who's the one with the helpless attitude, head in the sand. Really, there is "extreme lack of manning, lack of autonomy" and bad things happen? What kind of fairy-tale land do you live in? Military need not apply to these characteristics of medicine. They occur out in civi-land, too, and have applied for >30 yrs. Wait, wait, you said you had to work long and hard hours? Let me get out my violin and play you a nice tune to whine by. If these are true concerns of yours, take a few French lessons and have a nice time in Euroland where someone will listen to you. Furthermore, I have never claimed to find such a "spot out there...yet unblemished," though you unduely project naiveity on to me as if I have. Shame on whom?

Leviathanius said:
Yes, poor pitiful me. Oh, how I wish there were no poblems in life and everything was just dandy. Who's the one with the helpless attitude, head in the sand. Really, there is "extreme lack of manning, lack of autonomy" and bad things happen? What kind of fairy-tale land do you live in? Military need not apply to these characteristics of medicine. They occur out in civi-land, too, and have applied for >30 yrs. Wait, wait, you said you had to work long and hard hours? Let me get out my violin and play you a nice tune to whine by. If these are true concerns of yours, take a few French lessons and have a nice time in Euroland where someone will listen to you. Furthermore, I have never claimed to find such a "spot out there...yet unblemished," though you unduely project naiveity on to me as if I have. Shame on whom?

Out of curiousity, what experience do you have? Are you an attending, med student, resident, pre-med? You sound a bit self-righteous. It's true that most of the military isn't as bad as the air force fp clinics, but there are still plenty of problems that are hardly ever encountered in civilian private practice.