Why not general surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techsurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Since I first started medical school I have been set on becoming a general surgeon due to the fact that all my mentors were nice, fun to hang out with, smart general surgeons. Its only recently that I have started to look at the field of urology and what it has to offer. For those of you who have definitely already chosen urology as a career, what were the main things that pointed you away from general surgery? Personally I am interested in gadgets, technology, patient interactions/relationships, and surgery. I"m not really sure whether that points me towards general surgery or urology and I don't do these rotations until January. I'm currently dong research related to kidney transplants, but its with a transplant (general) surgeon and not a urologist. I guess I just wanted to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Small bowel obstructions and appy's happen all the time. That means you have to operate on them all the time.

Most stones that come in the middle of the night can be admitted over the phone and seen in the morning. There are about 3 urologic emergenices - infected obstructed stones, fourniers and torsion. There are way more g surg emergencies...

infected obstructed stones...

Which IR percs and is seen in the morning and scheduled for litho. But don't forget fractured penis...:eek:

I liked it because of what bobby said also though, all your patients generally do very well. You don't have to wait for bowel function to return for 2 weeks, most of our nephrectomy pts go home pod1. you can do huge advanced laparoscopic cases with the robot ie cystoprostatectomy with neobladder though those usually stay on service longer. The surgeries are just really cool and if you like transplant you can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed with CME. Pt's do well. Hours are good compared to most other surgical specialities, and incorporate a lot of technology. The people are also more laid back...that might just be my personal experience, but i did see a difference in personalities between general surgeons vs urologists.

Last edited: