Why not C section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wamcp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I’m no obgyn (IM hospitalist) but like how did this happen. Why not just do C section?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m no obgyn (IM hospitalist) but like how did this happen. Why not just do C section?

I had read about this case a few months ago.

Unfortunately don't have all the details but what I suspect happened:

Patient was in labor and attempt was made to deliver vaginally.

Bad shoulder dystocia occurred where baby basically asphyxiated from being entrapped so long. OB probably tried a bunch of different things but kid wouldn't budge.

Once the baby died, they eventually did the c section. The baby was probably so wedged they couldn't reduce the head and probably made the decision to decapitate the baby since it was dead and delivery the body through the hysterotomy and head through the vagina since it was already out.

--------------------------------------------------

The couple is claiming they asked for a c section earlier in the labor process.

In my experience, that is rarely the case. They are probably being coached by their lawyer.

In my experience, if a patient asks for a c section, then the vast majority of physicians just do it. I'm not wasting time or energy arguing with a patient and it's a lot of liability to deny a c section and then have a bad outcome.

Looking at how fat and short this patient was, unless she was delivering some premature infant, I doubt she has an adequate pelvis.
----------------------------------------------------------------

The article has to continue to push the stats that black women are getting inferior obstetric care. The doctor in question is black also. So can't be racism.

Hmmm, maybe the fact the patient looks like she's 4'11" and 250lbs has something to do with it. Could it also be certain races have higher rates of obesity, HTN, and diabetes as well?

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
There's also a very strong push to reduce c section rates.

Some hospitals will list the rates for individual doctors. Our department is constantly harping on this.

A lot of docs who used to be worried about having too high of a rate stopped caring. Who wants to risk a lawsuit to try to eke out a vaginal delivery? Honestly, we just want a healthy mom and baby so we don't have to worry about some massive 8 figure lawsuit.

Members don't see this ad :)
----------------------------------------------------------------

The article has to continue to push the stats that black women are getting inferior obstetric care. The doctor in question is black also. So can't be racism.

Hmmm, maybe the fact the patient looks like she's 4'11" and 250lbs has something to do with it. Could it also be certain races have higher rates of obesity, HTN, and diabetes as well?
Now don't you go around speaking facts on the internet, there's no room for logic here.

I think I heard it was a 37wk delivery FWIW

Last edited:
What happened was awful, but such a thing can happen.
The big issue is the claim the parents were not informed of what had happened to their infant and were not permitted to hold their (decapitated) child. The process after is more of a legal blunder than the unfortunate result from delivery.