Why not a 5 year integrated IR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647155

This new DR/IR pathway doesn't seem that much different than completing a 3 year (shortened from 4 years) DR residency followed by a 2 year IR fellowship, for a total of 6 years of training if you include the prelim year.

Would residents have any IR training during the DR training period? To me, a better solution would be to integrate DR and IR across 4 or 5 years, heck even integrating the prelim/medicine year throughout training (e.g. the IR period mandates a 1 month ICU rotation)

I guess I'm a worried that if training is disintegrated like such with IR requiring greater knowledge on direct patient care than DR, you're going to forget all your clinical knowledge through your gluteus muscles. =)

The entire theme of medicine these days is integration integration integration anyway....wonder why noone thought about this before...

Members don't see this ad.

This new DR/IR pathway doesn't seem that much different than completing a 3 year (shortened from 4 years) DR residency followed by a 2 year IR fellowship, for a total of 6 years of training if you include the prelim year.

Would residents have any IR training during the DR training period? To me, a better solution would be to integrate DR and IR across 4 or 5 years, heck even integrating the prelim/medicine year throughout training (e.g. the IR period mandates a 1 month ICU rotation)

I guess I'm a worried that if training is disintegrated like such with IR requiring greater knowledge on direct patient care than DR, you're going to forget all your clinical knowledge through your gluteus muscles. =)

The entire theme of medicine these days is integration integration integration anyway....wonder why noone thought about this before...
Actually the entire theme in medicine, especially in radiology is subspecialization.

You go from 15-18 months IR to 24 with the new structure while maintaining a DR certification. The CORE exam doesn't lend itself to much customization of curricula.