Why isn't PM&R a more competitive specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obnoxious Dad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not trolling but some of you will at least think I'm living down to my user name.

My kid, who is an MS1, is interested in PM&R because she's a runner and also fascinated by recovery from brain trauma. I noodled around the NRMP statistics and saw that PM&R is a relatively easy residency to get into. This is rather strange because PM&R is great for lifestyle and the compensation is not bad.

Why isn't the field more competitive? Are people more concerned about PM&R's future than they are about the future of other specialties? What is going on here?

Again I'm not trolling. I have the greatest respect for the way PM&R docs make their patients' lives better. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The same is true for psychiatry: very easy match, good lifestyle.

PM&R isn't competitive because:

1) It's a small field.

2) What we do isn't as well defined as other fields, so a lot of med students don't know what it is.

3) Not one of the core rotations at med schools and doesn't exist at every hospital, so not much opportunity to learn about it.

4) General physiatry doesn't seem as "glamorous" as certain other fields, so it doesn't have that wow factor.

If you are anything other than a generalist, it's going to be difficult finding jobs in physician-oversaturated areas. I don't think PM&R is any worse off than, say, neurology.

For the record, my father (who is also a physician) thought that I was making a huge mistake when I first said I wanted to do PM&R. But now he's completely converted and thinks I made a great career choice.

I think visibility is an issue. Also, program directors tend to emphasize personality over numbers because PM&R residents/docs need to work with teams (PT, OT, Nursing, social work, other docs, etc.) and be able to communicate (you're likely going to be paralyzed for the rest of your life, etc.). You also can't have a big EGO (there are some exceptions) and go into PM&R because no one knows what you do and you can't use the label "physiatrist" as a status symbol. :laugh:

I chose PM&R because in this climate of economic and political uncertainty, I like to have options. if inpatient becomes more profitable, i can always do inpatient rehab. if procedure reimbursements go down, i can do clinic. i perform diagnostic procedures (EMG/NCS) which usually are not as affected by reimbursement cuts. i also perform "treatment" procedures and MINOR surgeries. i could do inpatient consults for pain or rehab. i can become a medical director of a nursing home/rehab. we can do disability exams and IMEs. some of us work for industry. we can also do medical records reviews. etc. etc.

When u r super-specialized, u don't have as many options.

Every year we get "converts" from ortho and gen surg because they realize they don't particularly like the lifestyle of OR/surgery. I am part of an orthopedic group and have a lot of friends and colleagues who work with ortho and neurosurg - the funny thing is that we tend to be in the 50th% in terms of collections - which can infuriate a surgeon who spent more years and hours training. I don't take ER call because i don't do surgery. i do take group call (patients calling with issues, inpatient ortho patient coverage) but it's nothing my PM&R training hasn't prepared me for. Our malpractice risk is also lower.

Your daughter is still a MS1 - she's going to change her mind a hundred times before she commits - and even then she might still be unsure. it's great that you are involved and being her sounding board. if she continues with her interest, she might want to look into programs like UVa - dr. karrigan just published on running shoes and biomechanics- http://www.pmrjournal.org/article/S1934-1482(09)01367-7/abstract

Members don't see this ad :)
PM&R has lousy board scores, but I wouldn't say it's uncompetetive. In fact, the low board scores belie the true difficulty in getting a PM&R spot. I'm not trying to claim here that program directors reject all the 250 Step 1 applicants that they get and instead take the 190 scorers because they ran ball at State-U or whatever. I'm just saying a lot of the "other factors" do count for a lot in PM&R. Personal connections, program experience, letters, and actual knowledge of the specialty matter relatively more in PM&R. I myself was surprised by how competetive it was when I applied.

In my mind, less competetive specialties are ones like Family Medicine, Psychiatry, and the community programs of Internal Medicine. PM&R is not in the same boat as those. Very few unmatched positions in PM&R nowadays. Despite the high number of DO's, there's not all that many foreign grads in PM&R compared to the above fields either.

Main reason why PM&R isn't *more* competetive is in large part due to name recognition, IMO. A surgeon called me up the other day and demanded that I come do PT on his patients. I had to explain to him that I was in fact a doctor. :laugh: But then again, I hadn't heard of PM&R until halfway through med school. It's very hard to explain to someone what PM&R is in one sentence, unless you say something like "we focus on neuromuscular functional improvement" which means nothing. Then you talk about "inpatient rehab" they then either ask you about "the crazies" (they think you're some kind of psychiatrist) or they ask you about physical therapy, like the surgeon did. If you talk about the outpatient side, it just takes to long to cover botox, EMG's, sports med, joint injections, back injections, prosthetics, etc.

Also most medical students, including sadly a lot of the smart ones, have rather immature notions of how medicine is about insantly "curing" people. One guy I know in surgery said that he sees a problem and then likes to "fix it". Well, that's not true in medicine, not even for most kinds of surgery really. But dealing with any kind of chronic issues is seen by medical students these days as unhip. Well, PM&R doesn't really have cures. It also doesn't have the exciting trauma codes and pancreaticojejunostomies that medical students crave, but don't realize aren't that fun once you have to do them over and over again. EMG's and prescriptions for shoe inserts aren't that exciting. It goes without saying that inpatient rehab. definitely isn't the most interesting rotation you'll do as a med student. :sleep: But like I said a lot of the students just aren't smart enough or mature enough to realize that what's fun on a 4 week rotation isn't necessarily what you'd want to do for a career. The general lack of excitement and predictability of inpatient rehab. is why I prefer that kind of inpatient experience to something like ICU or Cardiology.

There's a few other factors too. Students infrequently rotate on PM&R. I've seen this now at a number of institutions. In San Antonio, you can do PM&R as a Surgery elective during med 3. Why haven't PM&R departments in the rest of the country also pushed for this as the med school cirriculum policy? <-- Not at San Antonio, BTW. If that makes you feel guilty that students will be robbed of valuable retracting and waking up at 4:30 experience, then PM&R should at least in my mind qualify as a month of Neurology. PM&R attendings should also be playing a bigger role in Med 1 and Med 2 student lectures by volunteering to teach during either Ortho or Neuro blocks, during which they can also sell their specialty (which everyone does).

Last edited:
Is there a great deal of paper work in the PM&R field or is it less bureaucratic and more hands on? My kid hates sitting at a desk and filling out forms.

Is there a great deal of paper work in the PM&R field or is it less bureaucratic and more hands on? My kid hates sitting at a desk and filling out forms.

There's paperwork in all specialties of medicine, and in PM&R if anything it's on the greater end of the spectrum. This is true of both the inpatient and outpatient sides IMO. But there's ways around that. If you hate it that much you can always hire more people and take a bigger paycut to do relatively more of that stuff on your behalf.

Also "hand's on" isn't necessarily a term I would ascribe to PM&R. If "hand's off" is Psychiatry and "hand's on" is something like Orthopedic surgery or even Dermatology, PM&R is probably somewhere in the middle. There's some people that do no hands on stuff. There's some people (like those fellowship trained in interventional pain/spine) that do a lot of hands on stuff. For the most part, "hands on" in PM&R especially for those who aren't fellowship trained is mostly sticking people with needles which is decidedly less hands on than chopping off one of their organs. If you must do "hands on" stuff all the time then you would have a very difficult time making it through a PM&R residency as half or more of your rotations would be mostly "hands off" type stuff.

The field is increasingly competitive, so I would urge anyone considering the field to do as well as possible on rotations and board exams. I know two people who failed to match into PM&R this year. Scoring very well on boards in addition to having a personality and dedication to the field will give your daughter the best chance of getting into her top choice program. Program directors in most (all?) medical fields tend to highly rank smart people with social skills. I can say from experience that high board scores did not keep me out of PM&R, nor did they guarantee me entry.

By the way, PM&R has a greater proportion of DOs because we gain a strong foundation in anatomy and neuromusculoskeletal medicine throughout medical school. It has nothing to do with the degree of competition in the field. From what I have learned on the interview trail, an osteopathic medical student with top board scores may be a stronger candidate than an allopathic student with identical grades and board scores.

I hope your daughter will choose the field she loves most. I have a feeling she is going to hate the paperwork aspect of any field. In the interest of my own career satisfaction, I plan to learn to at least tolerate it. :)

the paperwork part is not specialty specific it's part of medicine in general. a lot of paperwork is because of insurance companies, disability paperwork, FMLA, etc. a lot of that can be done by staff if you pay them to do that. dictation and chart notes are necessary evils in medicine and with medical malpractice being on the back of your mind, you can't skimp on that. with "pay for performance", the documentation requirements will probably increase. EMR may help that load by using more templates.

paper is the only way to get paid. if it's not documented, it didn't happen :)

it's too late for your daughter to apply for the PM&R externships (summer between MS1 and MS2) but she can use her summer to shadow some physiatrists. if she goes to www.aapmr.org and click on find a PM&R physician, you can find them by geographic location.

Several possible reasons why we have low average board scores:

The top students are going into prestige fields - ortho, ophtho, derm, neurosurg.

Somewhere b/w 1/2 and 2/3 of the available allopathic PM&R residencies go to American-trained allopathic med students. Since the USMLE is biased toward American allopathic students, it stands to reason that the remaining 1/2 to 1/3 would have board scores that lower the average.

For some PM&R residents, it was their "back-up" plan. For others, they looked around after getting their board scores, and someone said to them, well, you can always go into PM&R.

Some students never even hear about PM&R until they are already in residency.

Some may know they are going into PM&R so they know it's easier than other fields, so they don't have to try as hard.

Maybe we attract those who are more street-smart than book-smart.

I'm not trolling but some of you will at least think I'm living down to my user name.

My kid, who is an MS1, is interested in PM&R because she's a runner and also fascinated by recovery from brain trauma. I noodled around the NRMP statistics and saw that PM&R is a relatively easy residency to get into. This is rather strange because PM&R is great for lifestyle and the compensation is not bad.

Why isn't the field more competitive? Are people more concerned about PM&R's future than they are about the future of other specialties? What is going on here?

Again I'm not trolling. I have the greatest respect for the way PM&R docs make their patients' lives better. Thanks.

Our specialty isn’t competitive because nobody’s ever heard of us. Or by the time they’ve heard of us, it’s too late.

Remember reading a stat that only about half of the LCME accredited medical schools have an affiliated PM&R department. I think only 4 schools have a mandatory PM&R rotation - despite the fact that pain and disability are ubiquitous and cut across all fields. Additionally, the subjects of musculoskeletal and neuromuscular medicine are relatively underrepresented within the basic science curriculum. If someone happens to do a single rotation in PM&R, they only get a limited sample of the breadth and possibilities of our field. Assumptions and misconceptions form and perpetuate.

The good news is, I think awareness and recognition have increased since I started this game. Applications seem more competitive with each passing year.

PM&R has a lot of paperwork. Medicine, health care in general, is teeming in bureaucracy. No one is immune. Patients fill out forms. Nurses review them. Physicians review them again. Everyone documents. We CC documentation back to our referral sources and forward them when we refer out. We fill out orders, consents, prescriptions, bills (with technical and professional components, levels of complexity, modifiers, etc.). Insurance companies require prior authorization for prescriptions, diagnostic tests, procedures. They send paperwork authorizing them. They send paperwork denying them. Patients request insurance coverage appeals. Therapists request letters of medical necessity. Lawyers request everything. We renew medications, therapy, home services, transportation services, etc. Patients want excuses from work, school, jury duty, etc. In academia/residency, there are even more forms to consider - evaluations, procedure logs, work hours, etc. The beat goes on.

Luckily, for me, the other positive aspects of my job far outweigh the drudgery of paperwork.

PM&R physicians (usually with advanced training/fellowships) perform:
most injections - epidurals, facet blocks, discograms, radiofrequency ablations, joint injections, sympathetic blocks, intercostal nerve blocks, facial blocks, etc. etc. etc.
vertebroplasties/kyphoplasties, spinal cord stimulator trials and implants, intrathecal pump trials and implants, percutaneous micro-diskectomy, intradiscal procedures, etc.

I don't do ALL of the above but am credentialed to do all of the above.

In addition, all PM&R physicians upon graduation (unlike neurology which usually requires fellowship) can perform EMGs and can sit for AANEM board exam.

In clinic, we can inject peripheral joints/trigger points/occipital nerve blocks/etc.

Of course, nothing is more "hands on" than actually examining a patient and knowing how to do a musculoskeletal/neuro exam.

PM&R physicians (usually with advanced training/fellowships) perform:
most injections - epidurals, facet blocks, discograms, radiofrequency ablations, joint injections, sympathetic blocks, intercostal nerve blocks, facial blocks, etc. etc. etc.
vertebroplasties/kyphoplasties, spinal cord stimulator trials and implants, intrathecal pump trials and implants, percutaneous micro-diskectomy, intradiscal procedures, etc.

I don't do ALL of the above but am credentialed to do all of the above.

In addition, all PM&R physicians upon graduation (unlike neurology which usually requires fellowship) can perform EMGs and can sit for AANEM board exam.

In clinic, we can inject peripheral joints/trigger points/occipital nerve blocks/etc.

Of course, nothing is more "hands on" than actually examining a patient and knowing how to do a musculoskeletal/neuro exam.

Great info! Which of the above procedures require which fellowship? (Pain, Sports&Spine, MSK?) What procedures can a generalist with a solid MSK residency be credentialed to perform? Thanks for your input!

^^^
Joint injections/aspirations, Trigger points, EMG/NCS, Tendon sheaths, BoTox, motor point blocks, peripheral nerve blocks (many)

Depending upon residency program: Lumbar fluoroscopic injections (ESI, Facets, SIJ)