Why isn't mcat offered more than twice a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long_John

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
offered only twice a year! SATS offered every month. AAMC is gay. that's why there is such a small margin of error each time you take because you know that if you mess up you got wait almost half a year before you get a second shot at it. plus you can't plan to take the test around your schedule because of limited testing opportunities. instead you need to totally schedule your life around the test.

Members don't see this ad.

Long_John said:
offered only twice a year! SATS offered every month. AAMC is gay. that's why there is such a small margin of error each time you take because you know that if you mess up you got wait almost half a year before you get a second shot at it. plus you can't plan to take the test around your schedule because of limited testing opportunities. instead you need to totally schedule your life around the test.

no kidding. they should just drop the friggin writing test, administer it more often, and report the scores in 2 weeks instead of 2 months. of course that would make it too easy on pre-meds and lessen the MCAT anal factor.

I don't know but it is kinda sucky. Maybe that's the way they can justify the cost of the test

The MCAT should be more like the GRE and GMAT. It should be given continuously throughout the year by way of computer. I know that the AAMC is experimenting with some electonically-enabled versions of the test, but we need a wide-spread adoption of a shorter, adaptive version which also allows users to type their essays. Using this method, we would get INSTANT score reports for the multiple choice and only a two week delay for the writing grade. The GRE was great. I took it in two hours one morning and left straight for work with the scores freshly imprinted on my mind.