Why isn't GW ranked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigglywiggly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
GW is my top choice of school because I grew up in DC and love it here and it seems like GW is a great school. My only concern is that it's not ranked and I would be turning down other ranked schools to go there. Just curious to here what everyone thought about this subject. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So GW is a great school, but you will pass it up because it's not ranked by some BS news organization? Schools are only ranked if they choose to submit info about themselves.

Here's a well-deserved :rolleyes: for you. Take it to pre-allo - they love these topics

If you want to go there, by all means, GO!! Like idq said, who cares is US News and World Report didn't rank them? I would've given my left eye to go to my top school of choice and it was probably was ranked lower than the one I wound up going to. Sometimes people get way too caught up in the "name". Keep it real, go where you want to. You only live once.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes. people get caught up in the name. and that's why YOU must too!

that's the way it is.

you will have to please the people who like names, ranks, and brands. unless you really don't care where you end up.

Screw the rankings. If GW is your dream school, go to GW.

Besides, GW is a good name. Most people have heard of GW and knows it as a good school in my opinion.

as a student on the verge of beginning residency apps/planning the rest of my life, i have to say that I made the decision to attend a highly-ranked medical school in lieu of my "dream" school...it was a very tough choice at the time, but in retrospect it was the absolutely right decision. For whatever reason i somehow got lucky enough to get in here, and now as i begin the application process, i see that for most specialties, I am basically guaranteed an interview regardless of my objective specs on paper. Granted, if you have a compelling reason to choose a "lower-tier" school (really, doing very well at any school will allow you to do the specialty of your choice), then pick that school -- but if you're choosing b/w a top-5 or 10 school vs a school not as high for a reason that isn't truly that important, I would say you can't go too wrong picking the highly ranked one. I'm across the country from my family and sig other right now, but i'm almost certain that i'll be able to go back home for residency, so i feel you on the desire to stay close to home. just my two cents on the realities of the job market in medicine...