Why is there a PAT section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to know what they test with this section? I was looking through the Barron and Kaplan book at the New England Book Fair. This section reminds me of the SNL skit several years ago of the no depth perception guy:laugh:
Could you imagine that guy being a dentist? He could be picking your nose with an Explorer when he thinks he is in your mouth checking your teeth.:D

Members don't see this ad.

The PAT is an excellent guage of one's two and three dimensional problem solving skills. Imagine looking through an angled mirror and rotating it as to view each oral structure at different angles. There are a plethra of oral procedures that require a certain device to fit properly. It takes a certain degree of perceptual ability to perform procedures from behind a patient as well. I am sure our fellow dental students (Gavin, Yah-ee, et.al) can be more exact with terminology and procedures, but I thought I would put in my two cents. I'll make sure to ask the dentist I observe.

Cheers!