Why is Pharmacy so Underrated in India ?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khanguls

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone !

This question i wanted to ask everyone for a long time.

I am also a Pharmacist completed my Degree in 2000 worked as a Production officer in Manufacturing - Liquids for close to 3 years and then called it Quits cause i was not getting any where ( financially ) i joined a call centre and currently getting paid well also i am handling Sites in India which never happened when i was there in the Pharmacy field.

Pharmacy as a basic degree does not have any value in India.

I think the major reason which i noticed is that cheap labour that we get here in India. As a Production officer in Pharmaceutical field they would even hire a BSc grad getting paid the same amount as a Pharmacist though we would get the FDA approvals faster then the other Science Graduates however eventually they would also get the approval and they would always stick to these jobs. One collegue i had asked this question he said what difference does it make to me i have a decent salary and my house is near and approx Zero Maintainence cost for commuting and etc... why should i not take this Job. sounds weird but i got that answer.

Me being a girl worked on Shopfloor no one was ready to take me they wanted me to move to Quality Assurance or Control but i wanted to work in Production.

i would really love to hear inputs from all.

i was also a active member in Pharmacy council Mumbai to check if there were Pharmacist being employed in all Pharmacy stores well to my horror i also found that all the wonderful ladies were working somewhere else and for a petty amount of 2-3K had their liecense given to these stores unmonitored by Pharmacist." This Happens only in India "

Members don't see this ad.

come to canad/us . i am suprised to hear this. I am doing eng in Canada right now but my first goal was pharmacy. it takes 8 yr to complete pharmacy. Yes they do accept indian pharmacist!! Sure have to do 2/3 exams and u have apply as immigrant but you will earn the top most dollars...i think after doctor/lawyer its pharmacy..

Hey Canbrat ,

Thank you so much for responding i do know that Pharmacist in other countries are really earning big time and that is great to know that they are valued there unlike India,

I also am aware that Pharmacist from Asian countries have to apply for the FPGEE TSE and other tests.

lets see i am planning to take those maybe by this year end.

Take care,
Regards.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey hi everybody..i totally agree that in india pharmacy is not as significant as it is in u.s...but i m totally unaware of the tests nd the procedure by which we from india can get a job in u.s as phamacist...
looking forward for help..

hey hi everybody..i totally agree that in india pharmacy is not as significant as it is in u.s...but i m totally unaware of the tests nd the procedure by which we from india can get a job in u.s as phamacist...
looking forward for help..

Hi,

You cannot take these tests in India you will have to be in the US as after you give the first exam FPGEE you will have to complete the internship hours before you would allowed to take up the other test for you to practice in the US and then there is a state specific exam that you will have to take belonging to the state that you want to practice pharmacy in.

Also if you have completed you pharmacy before 2003 then you would be allowed to take these test if after 2003 then you will have to complete your 5 year pharmacy course in US to be eligible to practice in the US.

you can always log on to Wikipedia.org for all details and search google for more details.

Regards,
Gulshan Khan.

Last edited:
pharmacy is better than medicine trust me.

Its sad to hear that after finished pharmacy, went to call center job.. In India it is bad thing that the one who studied in a field suddenly changing their carrer on another ways..
======
galois Christian Drug Rehab

I'm not generally into Pharmacy but in the US atleast the work load is higher.
In the US, the bachelors training is for 5 years or so along with one year or clinical rotations. After that, you get a stable job, live on so for the next 10 years till you are senior enough.
According to vault.com, A junior pharmacist is the most comfortable job in the US with a pay of 80000 an annum and absolutely no tension( as the Senior Pharmacist owns the place).( Sorry for the lack of technical terms, I'm sharing as much knowledge as I can0
Compared with India, and you have a whole new ball game.
But I still think that Pharmacy is an integral part to our Scientific Community.
Pharmaceutical companies like Ranbaxy keep getting acquired by foreign investors so I feel the money is coming in. And lets not forget Biocon.
But from a Medico's point of view, I must admit I do look down on the Pharmacists and that I feel is general opinion.