Why is orthopedics such a bad lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

drkingdingaling

Everytime someone makes a list of the worst lifestyles to have in surgery, othopedics is usually right there on top. whats the deal, is it really as hard as people make it out to be?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard through the grapevine is that ortho is actually one of the better specialties in terms of lifestyle after residency, even the residency itself can be hard on the social life (but what surgical residency isn't?)

The ones I've heard are brutal both during AND after training are:

1. Neuro
2. CT
3. Transplant
4. Trauma

Hi,

I am currently in PA school and thinking about going into orthopedic surgery. Orthopedics because I have a background in chiropractic, so i thought it may be a good idea.
So what is wrong with this field? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks,

-Cecilia

Members don't see this ad :)
asking what is wrong with this field is no where near the arrogance of:

this is the MD/DO forum and not the PA, NP, CRNA forum...not even a med-student forum

Actually Skylizard, I think Cecilia meant that after she finished PA school, she was going to apply directly for an ACGME-approved residency in orthopedic surgery as she is considering becoming an orthopedic surgeon. And after all, what orthopedic program would not want a fine PA student such as herself to train in their image?

So it is perfectly reasonable for her to essentially repeat the original poster's question -- while adding absolutely no "insight" of her own -- as she really does want to know "what is wrong with this field?"

Any opinions?

Very uncool response, Skylizard, to this gal's original question.

What a pitiful post! For all your bickering and chastising with regards to what this forum and thread are or aren't, you have added nothing of value yourself to them. That is the real hijacking of the thread.
I suppose you just felt like making your presence known in the obscure realm of an internet surgery forum, letting the rest of us know that you have made it! Well, congratulations, indeed! You must be the only one ever to have graduated medical school. No, wait....it seems your friend eddieberetta has also graduated. That makes two of you but, rest assured, your accomplishments are still rather impressive.

Originally posted by Skylizard
Three issues:

First, I think it is arrogant to ask "what is wrong with this field?" especially coming from a PA student.

Second, this is the MD/DO forum and not the PA, NP, CRNA forum...not even a med-student forum:)

Third, I do not intend to be rude but you should ask your clinical advisors with regards to what a PA will do in ortho. I suspect it all depends on what group you work with, where you work, and what contract you sign. Please do not attempt to "hijack" this posting in order to ask about what you will do as a PA. The ortho residents that frequent this site will only be able to talk with regards to their training as residents. I assure you the interactions between residents and mid-levels is not what you should expect outside a teaching institution setting. But, again, I urge you to go to a PA forum site and ask your questions there and not in the MD/DO forum. Ifyou choose to seek an MD/DO degree, come back after your in med-school and then go to the med-student forum.

Forums you might find of interest:

Healthcare Professional Forums

Loki Skylizard

wow...

sorry I asked. I just wanted to find out about the field and thought some people here may give me an idea. I did not expect to find someone this level of arrogance.

Originally posted by cecilia
wow...

sorry I asked. I just wanted to find out about the field and thought some people here may give me an idea. I did not expect to find someone this level of arrogance.

there's often plenty to go around in these parts :rolleyes: don't let it get to you.

help clarify your question, though. are you planning on medical school now?

ortho is a great lifestyle outside of residency. during residency, ortho can be pretty intense. while most private practice orthopods still take trauma call, most groups spread it out to make in bearable.

i would think that ortho would be a great field for a PA. i liked it a lot, but loved plastics.

Okay, I will take another go at answering the OP's question. I just thought cecilia's post was funny but I apologize for my post as I did not intend to be mean.

As someone who did not enter ortho, I will say that I found it cool because you get to "see the problem, solve the problem." I liked the refreshingly clear-cut "pins and nails" approach to solving medical problems!!

But on the downside, patients are often very sick (think hip fracture), surgeries are often longer than in other specialties, and one must remember that the Orthopod is a key member of the trauma team. All of these things translate into a hard lifestyle. I also found it a bit repetitive and I did not feel as challenged as in some other specialties. I think the overall lifestyle is one of the toughest in medicine, but there are ways out (i.e. arthro$copy).

Ultimately, you have to choose a specialty on the basis of what you love doing. You have to look at the bread-and-butter of the field and decide if you like it.

Dear Skylizard,

As an internist who has collaborated with surgeons on a daily basis, I can truly say your response to "what's wrong with ortho surgery as a profession" can be summed up with the following:
surgeons get sued more than internists.

That's a fact Jack.

I can generalize from 20 years of experience with surgeons, orthopods in general, you have to keep it really BASIC. Complex questions, such as what's wrong with the profession are best left to the cerebral group (of which I consider myself included). As my internist collegues are famous for saying, "Remember, they're JUST surgeons".

To the student, you go to med school and put all these old farts in their places (to me it's sport kinda like target practice).