Why is GPA higher at med school then B school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the organator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical schools tend to look for very high GPAs, yet the average GPAs for business schools (at comparably-ranked institutions) is quite a bit lower.

Is this because business schools place such a high emphasis on work experience and people with great work experience are beating out people with higher GPAs? Do more scholarly people tend to go to medical or law school instead of business school?

I'm wondering how these differences in admissions preferences will affect a top med school applicant who has a better GPA than most business school applicants at a given school but less work experience.

Members don't see this ad.

the organator said:
Do more scholarly people tend to go to medical or law school instead of business school?

Yep, you got it!

the organator said:
I'm wondering how these differences in admissions preferences will affect a top med school applicant who has a better GPA than most business school applicants at a given school but less work experience.

I think admission to an MD/MBA program will be similar to that of an MD only program. High overall and science GPAs, relevant healthcare experience, and MCAT scores are probably the main determinants besides the interview.

chicoborja said:
Yep, you got it!
Please tell me you are joking, right?

Medicine and Business are two different realms. As for the OP's comment
organator said:
"because business schools place such a high emphasis on work experience and people with great work experience are beating out people with higher GPAs?"
you can't get into a top B-school with a lousy GPA either ... but there are alot more business schools than med schools out there and business is a wider field (in some regard) than medicine. Is it harder to get into medical school, yes ... it really is. But for business most get background/work experience and a degree to match it.

As for the admissions process ..
organator said:
"I'm wondering how these differences in admissions preferences will affect a top med school applicant who has a better GPA than most business school applicants at a given school but less work experience."
You can't compare them both as stated above, so do not try. Additionally, business school is a different realm of thinking then medical school ... this quoted to me by a current MS IV who is my MBA program.

If you want to do the joint degree ... get into med school then worry about getting into a program ... some you can apply in your 1st/2nd year, if you know you really want to do it, you can take your GMAT's in glide year before you get into med school. If you are in a med school program as long as you do well on the GMAT's and have a good gpa you will be fine. Most MBA programs embrace MD students from my observation especially because it "enhances" their program from an academic standpoint. Only caveat, every program is different and some might make you take basic level business classes before taking upper level MBA classes, most might work around this but just be leary of the programs as there are a few out there. Can't hurt to ask them how they handle someone with no business experience! If you have the med school, MBA shouldn't be a problem! :luck: