Why is being a FT student better than being a PT student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The couple of calls I have had with Admissions Directors post-rejection have said that being a full-time pre-vet student is better than being a part-time one. I would think that a non-traditional student who is working a FT job (or two) in order to be able to take - and manage - classes whenever they can would be more enticing. Why, then, is FT student status preferred?

Members don't see this ad.

That's interesting.....I'm in sort of the same situation but only work PT at a vet's office and volunteer weekly at 2 other places (also vol at 2 non-animal-related places) in addition to taking classes PT. When I talked to Cornell about my app after I got the rejection, Jennifer didn't even mention my PT student status. She really emphasized diversity in animal species more than anything else, and even mentioned that short of getting another degree I wouldn't be able to bring up my cum GPA (3.3) and agreed (I think) when I said that it sounded like I should concentrate on animal experience more than classes for my '08 app.

I'm sure every school has their own priorities, but just thought I'd throw that out there. If I have to talk to my other schools (still waiting on WI, TN, and PA), it'll be interesting to hear what they have to say. What schools did you talk to that didn't like PT students? (And sorry that I don't have an answer to your question....my assumption would be that they think FT students show that they can handle the workload at vet school, but it would seem to me that juggling job/vol/school/everything else would demonstrate that just as well).

I was asked in my TN interview when was the last time I'd gone to school full time. At the time, it had been 2 years prior. (Obviously I still got in though.) Before taking my pre-reqs (when I was in real undergrad), I went to school full time and worked around 30-35 hours a week. At the time I was going to school full time 2 years prior to my interview, I was working/volunteering about 20 hours a week with a full-time course load. I think it does make a difference being in school full-time and working part-time vs. going to school part-time and working full-time. Anyway, it was a big adjustment for me going from school part-time and working full-time to going to school full-time (especially with 7 classes) and not working at all. I think they're trying to get at it being a big adjustment. It isn't the difficulty of information in vet school, it's just the HUGE volume of it. Some schools believe it makes you more prepared to have a recent full-time school experience so that you aren't so shocked by the information overload at vet school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vegan, what level of course load have you been taking? How many credits per semester?

When I interviewed at Ohio State, it was never even mentioned (much to my relief, because I was concerned that they would frown on that). I am also a nontraditional student. I graduated college with a BA in a totally unrelated field in 1995, and for the 4 years prior to vet school I took one or two classes at a time while working in order to satisfy all the prerequisites for vet school. I was concerned that it would be a problem, but I interviewed on the first day of interviews and they called the next day to say I was accepted. I did, however, have a 4.0 in all my science prereqs, and nailed the GRE. So that helped.

I have to agree with pressmom, though...it is a big adjustment if you haven't been in school full time for a while. (12 years for me! When did I get so OLD?:eek:)

I have heard, and of course this does not necessarily represent my personal opinion, that schools "like to see that you can handle taking several pre-vet classes all at once." Meaning that you can do well in school while taking orgo and physics simultaneously, etc. I heard this from an advisor when I decided to take organic chemistry over the summer... That schools MIGHT look down upon this because it was the only class I was taking at the time and therefor I could devote all of my study time to it alone. She did say that this is definitely not the case with every school though.
Honestly, I think this is kinda silly, although my third year was really really challenging academically due to all the hard classes I was taking at once.
Take this for what it's worth, this could be what the person you talked to meant by preferring FT students.

:0)

UPEI says specifically that they take rigor into account and that pre-reqs are expected to be taken with a course load of at least 9 credits per semester(not including labs). They also say there can be exceptions for special circumstances or something to that affect.

I started looking in May 07 to finish up my pre-reqs applied to my local university. Was accepted for this spring(08) and was only able to register last week for classes starting next week. Registering a week in advance left me basicly zero course options and thus I can only manage 10 credits this semester(part time). So for me, between applying and being able to take classes I could actually register in advance for will be a 15 month period. Orgo, microbio lab, statistics, english comp... all full. :(

During that time I am taking most of my courses part time through the continuing ed deparment. Waiting over a year just to get into classes full time seems like a bigger waste than anything for me. Over that period of time I will have managed to take 32 credits and yet it is still going to be frowned upon :(. Ive been going completely insane with not being able to actually get into classes.

Guelph is the same. Your admission average is calculated based on: 20% MCAT, 40% 8 required courses (bio, genetics, stats, etc.) - these marks MUST come from full time semesters (2.5 credits, at U of G), and then 40% the average of your last two full time semesters. As far as I know they don't really make exceptions.

And there's some random rules like only one DE course, and ALL of your courses have to be taken at your semester level or higher - taking a course from a lower level can make them reject all of your marks from that semester.