Why I feel the whole OT application is discouraging (this is a rant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BowlofSunshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me first say that I understand that the process is supposed to be competitive, but the reason why I feel it is discouraging is because of the whole process. This is a personal rant, so please disregard if you have a problem with the following:

I wish the app. process was more streamlined. With the inception of OTCAS, I was hoping that it would make the process better, but not really.

I wish AOTA would make the pre-reqs the same across the board, no matter the school. It has been frustrating to apply for different schools where one has less (or more) stringent req. than others. This is includes deciding to req. the GRE.

I know you can't do much about the admissions deadline for each school, but I wish AOTA would be more involved so that it is not as frustrating to spend hundreds, heck even close to thousands, on app fees only to be waitlisted, conditional acceptance, etc.

I am overall just frustrated you guys. This is my second year applying and have been accepted to only one school in my history of applying and was then conditionally accepted by that school because they changed the requirements for the pre-reqs right before the semester I was supposed to start, causing me to then be short one pre-req. I was livid. :mad:

Then I was waitlisted at another school, citing they had filled capacity and haven't heard from them since. Another school flat out rejected, citing my cum. GPA wasn't high enogh, even though they didn't specify whether they looked at cum. GPA or last 90 credits GPA. I won't apply to a school if they specify they look at cum. GPA over last 90 credits GPA as I feel it is a waste of money and time.

And don't get me started on the GPA reqs. Some of the GPA reqs for MSOT/MOT programs are ri-damn-diculous! they asking for med school GPAs. Not to make light of Ot, because it's a great field, but come on, a 3.8 GPA for entry? Are you kidding me?

At any rate, I'm gonna try this final year and hang it up. I don't want to keeep wating money and time, filling out app after app, only to be sent a big fat rejection letter.

Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

I am on the same boat as u and i freaking hate it!! Its ridic!!!!!! Its my 2nd time applying too and i got waitlisted b4.... Ridiculous!!!

I agree about your rant.

A decade ago I went for the COTA and gave up on the OTR when I saw how some schools in the NYC area insist on anatomy and kineseolgy, and others require neither!

And yes the GPA cutoff is nuts. If I had a 3.5 in hard sciences i would have went for physicians assistant at the very least.

It's a monopoly, and they are the ones to blame for raising the bar and requiring a masters when at the same time they dont require as many classes in bio and chem. To be sure, they aren't teaching anything 'new' in the higher OT and PT grad classes that a bachelor PT or OT learned in the 80's.
So on that level it's easier to get in ( a little) but they will bleed u dry slowly. With a smile. So thanks for ranting, fill out an application, send in your fees, transcript fees, medical fees (cause you MUST have medical coverage and they are there to sell it to you), book fees, parking fees, 2 buck coffee, cops waiting on the approach to school... it goes on and ont ... bend over!!! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else an older applicant (well, I don't think early 30s is OLD, but did anyone else graduate from college more than 10 years ago?) I'm currently taking science prereqs at the Harvard Extension School, but have a major in psychology which covered most of the psychology prereqs. Unfortunately, many programs will not accept credits older than 5 or 7 years. Is anyone else in this boat? That makes the inconsistency in prereqs even more difficult to deal with. I could only take Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II with labs, and potentially get into my top choice, or I could take those two, neurology, gross anatomy, and all my psych prereqs over again to get into a different school. It's kind of a nightmare. I am changing careers (have an unrelated masters degree) and don't feel I have the luxury of taking more than a year to do my prereqs, and certainly can't apply more than once.

Is anyone else an older applicant (well, I don't think early 30s is OLD, but did anyone else graduate from college more than 10 years ago?) I'm currently taking science prereqs at the Harvard Extension School, but have a major in psychology which covered most of the psychology prereqs. Unfortunately, many programs will not accept credits older than 5 or 7 years. Is anyone else in this boat? That makes the inconsistency in prereqs even more difficult to deal with. I could only take Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II with labs, and potentially get into my top choice, or I could take those two, neurology, gross anatomy, and all my psych prereqs over again to get into a different school. It's kind of a nightmare. I am changing careers (have an unrelated masters degree) and don't feel I have the luxury of taking more than a year to do my prereqs, and certainly can't apply more than once.

Yep lizzo76, I am in the same boat and have the SAME RANT! I am 32 yrs old. My BA is in Psych and then I worked in an unrelated field. I am done with my A&P now (took in Fall 2009-2010) but am now signing up for some self paced independent learning classes at LSU (online.... yes I know) to re-take my psychs even though I already have them, they are OLD. I can't afford taking the psychs at the local community college b/c I have to be ready to move for work (until school starts) on a moment's notice... So online is how I have to do it.

My cum GPA from undergrad is not awesome, it's above a 3.0 and my last 90 GPA is very high. My pre-req GPA is high. I am dreading the GRE... which I will take in the next 2 months. Anyways, I am overwhelmed with you and annoyed. Thanks for the rant, it was so reassuring to hear someone who feels the same way.

Oh, good. I found someone in my A&P class who will also be applying to OT, but she just looked at me like I was ancient when I explained my problem. She actually almost looked THROUGH me, ha ha. I'm only 33!

Don't worry about the GRE, though. It's fine. Well, I took it right after college. But, I actually had it scheduled fall of my senior year of college (so fall '98) but had to reschedule it because I had a midterm scheduled for the Monday after the test. (That test date, by the way, was the last paper-based GRE test date.) I got a voucher so I could retake it, but it had to be within a year's time. The next year I suddenly realized the year was almost up, so I quickly signed up for a slot (by that time it was computer-based and you could go at any time.) I didn't prepare at all and had never taken a test on a computer. My usual m.o. of writing in the test booklet etc., wasn't going to fly. My math grade ended up being much lower than I am used to (usually math is my best area) because I thought you could use a calculator, but you couldn't, so I had to hand-calculate square roots, etc.. But overall, I did fine. By your 30s, you really shouldn't need to prepare for the verbal parts. You pick up new vocab and reading comprehension throughout life. In contrast, the math part probably gets harder and harder the further away from school you are, unless you have a job that uses more than basic arithmetic. But, don't worry about it. Even if you really need to ace it because of your GPA - just review vocab a little, and I highly recommend the Princeton Review books. BTW I have taken the GRE, LSAT, AND GMAT (yes....) Princeton Review has worked for me ever since the PSAT!!!

Okay, this is the deal. I'm 41 years old. I was a Biology major in my heyday back in undergrad. I graduated, worked, got married, and had 3 kids. I decided to apply to OT school and when I looked at all the prereqs, I was a bit crestfallen. Many shadow hours to do, had to re-take Anatomy because it had been over 5 years, had to take Sociology, Anthropology, and a Technical Writing class. Oh, and the GRE, arts and crafts class, Advanced CPR class, etc, etc etc. My point is, there are hoops you have to jump through. It sucks but if you want it, you do it. If it's too much trouble, give up now because when you're in, there's a whole lot more you have to do. It's up to you. I am thankful my perseverance paid off. I'm considered a "nontraditional" student because I'm not in my 20s. I'm fine with that. Don't make it your schtick, if you know what I mean. The standards are the same no matter how old you are. If you want it, do it. No regrets. I'm in. It's hard after you're accepted. There are more hoops, but if you think about all the opportunities afforded you, you will not regret it once you're in. Just do it.

Thanks for the advice - no one said they weren't willing to jump through the hoops. Also, we're talking about the masters program (at least I am), so I don't think older is considered "non-traditional." I also already have another masters degree which I completed three years ago, so I'm not lazy and am very used to jumping through hoops. In fact, I am commuting 3 hours round-trip (by car, so it is wasted time) to take prereqs at the Harvard Extension School, which is a lot more than most people do to get their prereqs. I'm really not worried about the "rigor" of OT school.

But, it is extremely frustrating to have completed an entire major in a subject and then not have ANY of the credits count, and to have such inconsistency from school to school. Do I retake all those psych classes (which is very expensive and time-consuming) because X school won't take my existing credits, when the school I really want to go to doesn't have a time limit for credits? It's a gamble.

Thanks for the advice - no one said they weren't willing to jump through the hoops. Also, we're talking about the masters program (at least I am), so I don't think older is considered "non-traditional." I also already have another masters degree which I completed three years ago, so I'm not lazy and am very used to jumping through hoops. In fact, I am commuting 3 hours round-trip (by car, so it is wasted time) to take prereqs at the Harvard Extension School, which is a lot more than most people do to get their prereqs. I'm really not worried about the "rigor" of OT school.

But, it is extremely frustrating to have completed an entire major in a subject and then not have ANY of the credits count, and to have such inconsistency from school to school. Do I retake all those psych classes (which is very expensive and time-consuming) because X school won't take my existing credits, when the school I really want to go to doesn't have a time limit for credits? It's a gamble.

Lizzo76,

I too drove 3 hours to take classes (I ended up auditing it due to my old work/travel schedule) to UCLA Extension. I'm lucky I didn't rear end anyone in stop and go traffic as I tried to make use of the 1.5 hrs by reviewing notes and flash cards. LOL!

Lizzo76,

I too drove 3 hours to take classes (I ended up auditing it due to my old work/travel schedule) to UCLA Extension. I'm lucky I didn't rear end anyone in stop and go traffic as I tried to make use of the 1.5 hrs by reviewing notes and flash cards. LOL!

Ha ha - too funny. I guess I shouldn't say it's "wasted time" as I keep the radio off and try to recite what I have learned. But since I'm going to HES, most of my fellow students commute via the T (subway) and can look at their notes and flashcards without too much risk being involved. :)

I hear where you are coming from OP. The application process is really the pits. I will add another grievance, the volunteer hours. I have a decent amount under my belt, but some programs want at least 100 hours. While I think it is important to see the profession up close, I feel a 100 hour requirement is ridiculous. There is only so much one can observe and fetching towels for 100 hours gets tedious.

I understand how frustrating the application process is because I went through it all last year. I think if AOTA helped streamline the process, then more people would apply. Oh well, hopefully it will all pay off in the end. I am now in my first year of OT school and it is a little ridiculous how busy the instructors try to keep you. I feel like it is near impossible to keep a job and fulfill all your other responsibilities. Just make sure that you are able to take two years out of your life and commit it to education!

I'm 30 and in anatomy lab now... I don't remember my first degree being so hard...
came out in 2002 and was a financial analyst til meltdown.

Have decided to see if the job market has picked up at all,.. but I have enjoyed the year out... it wasn't wasted but I am seriously thinking about coming out and taking anything I can get.

For the older applicants, please please please do not be discouraged! I am currently in an OT program in Texas and there are many students in my class that are older, married, and have children, and have decided to change career fields for various reasons.

For those that are complaining about the application for OT process.... IF IT WERE EASY EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT. And the reason why they are asking for such high GPAs is because usually gross anatomy is cramed into 8 weeks for OT students, where as medical students get 9 months to take it, granted we do not go in depth as they do, but it is extremely tough! Its not just gross anatomy either, biomechanics and neuroscience are on steroids in graduate school compared to the kitty stuff the teach us in undergrad.

Please don't give up, OT is an amazing field with so many different options and branches of the field to go into. For those of you having so much trouble, why not apply to a COTA program? I know when I was applying, NOTHING was going to stand in my way!

Please excuse my ignorance. Im bored at work and Im usually in the PT boards. Anyway, is OT school really that hard to get in to? What are the min requirements? like a 3.5CPA or something?

It varies from school to school, in texas...Texas Tech asks for a 2.7 and other schools go as high as 3.8.

For the older applicants, please please please do not be discouraged! I am currently in an OT program in Texas and there are many students in my class that are older, married, and have children, and have decided to change career fields for various reasons.

For those that are complaining about the application for OT process.... IF IT WERE EASY EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT. And the reason why they are asking for such high GPAs is because usually gross anatomy is cramed into 8 weeks for OT students, where as medical students get 9 months to take it, granted we do not go in depth as they do, but it is extremely tough! Its not just gross anatomy either, biomechanics and neuroscience are on steroids in graduate school compared to the kitty stuff the teach us in undergrad.

Please don't give up, OT is an amazing field with so many different options and branches of the field to go into. For those of you having so much trouble, why not apply to a COTA program? I know when I was applying, NOTHING was going to stand in my way!
I'm not asking it to be super easy, but geesh, making it more streamlined. I've spent enough money in the last 2 years making sure I took the classes needed for entry into most programs. I think if the entry requirements were the same for each school, it would be better. Just like med school. Most med school student know WHAT classes that need to take prior to even applying, no matter the school. Not the case with most MOT programs. I thought about COTA, but why spend MORE money for an undergrad program whenI could skip that and go MOT? I'm serious when I say I am going to throw in the towel after 2011. I have neither the time, money, nor patience to spend on trying to get into any OT program. I meet the requirements, GPA and prereqs, but am getting frustrated.

And then the inception of the OTCAS! Don't get me started on that. Congrats to you on your program!

I'm not asking it to be super easy, but geesh, making it more streamlined. I've spent enough money in the last 2 years making sure I took the classes needed for entry into most programs. I think if the entry requirements were the same for each school, it would be better. Just like med school. Most med school student know WHAT classes that need to take prior to even applying, no matter the school. Not the case with most MOT programs. I thought about COTA, but why spend MORE money for an undergrad program whenI could skip that and go MOT? I'm serious when I say I am going to throw in the towel after 2011. I have neither the time, money, nor patience to spend on trying to get into any OT program. I meet the requirements, GPA and prereqs, but am getting frustrated.

And then the inception of the OTCAS! Don't get me started on that. Congrats to you on your program!

I agree with this. No one here is asking for it to be any easier... it's not all that difficult to begin with. I think only the OP mentioned giving up, but only after this year. The problem is the lack of streamlining, not that it is so difficult. Like I said before, I already have a masters degree... I am used to jumping through hoops. But the idea of possibly having to retake half my psychology major, just because my credits are too old... for SOME schools, but not for all schools... and the fact that not only are the schools inconsistent on how old the credits can be, but also on which classes are required at all... is very annoying.

There's also a lack of consistency in curriculum once you're in... a lot of schools don't even offer gross anatomy OR require it as a prereq. But the lack of consistency in curriculum is partly what leads to lack of consistency in prereqs... some programs offer neuroanatomy or neurology, while others don't, so they make it a prereq. Same thing with some of the schools which don't offer gross anatomy.

I could get into my top choice and only have to take Human Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2 and labs, because all my old psych courses and neuroanatomy course meet the prereqs. OR I could have to retake a whole slew of psych courses, neuroanatomy, plus A&P 1&2, plus gross anatomy... and there isn't a difference in the quality of the programs or anything, there's just a difference in how they treat old credits and what they offer in the program versus what they don't offer and therefore want you to take as prereqs. But I don't know into which program I will be accepted, so I have to err on the side of caution and spend at least one more year taking all my prereqs.

It should be more like medical school... or PT... where for the most part, you know which courses you need.

COTA... I would never in a million years pursue that, no offense to anyone else who is doing that. But I've just left one professional masters degree-required field and am not moving to something like COTA.

I agree with this. No one here is asking for it to be any easier... it's not all that difficult to begin with. I think only the OP mentioned giving up, but only after this year. The problem is the lack of streamlining, not that it is so difficult. Like I said before, I already have a masters degree... I am used to jumping through hoops. But the idea of possibly having to retake half my psychology major, just because my credits are too old... for SOME schools, but not for all schools... and the fact that not only are the schools inconsistent on how old the credits can be, but also on which classes are required at all... is very annoying.

There's also a lack of consistency in curriculum once you're in... a lot of schools don't even offer gross anatomy OR require it as a prereq. But the lack of consistency in curriculum is partly what leads to lack of consistency in prereqs... some programs offer neuroanatomy or neurology, while others don't, so they make it a prereq. Same thing with some of the schools which don't offer gross anatomy.

I could get into my top choice and only have to take Human Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2 and labs, because all my old psych courses and neuroanatomy course meet the prereqs. OR I could have to retake a whole slew of psych courses, neuroanatomy, plus A&P 1&2, plus gross anatomy... and there isn't a difference in the quality of the programs or anything, there's just a difference in how they treat old credits and what they offer in the program versus what they don't offer and therefore want you to take as prereqs. But I don't know into which program I will be accepted, so I have to err on the side of caution and spend at least one more year taking all my prereqs.

It should be more like medical school... or PT... where for the most part, you know which courses you need.

COTA... I would never in a million years pursue that, no offense to anyone else who is doing that. But I've just left one professional masters degree-required field and am not moving to something like COTA.

Agree... I REFUSE to go COTA.... I would feel like I'm going backwards and it's a waste of time... plus many of the COTA programs are just as long as the MOT programs. What sense would it make for me to spend 2 years for COTA then an additional 2 years trying to go for MOT? 4 years trying to get an MOT?

I am a former OT, graduated from East Carolina with a BSOT in 99, and now I'm an MD. Oh wow how things have changed!! There were certain pre-reqs when I applied to OT school and it was competitive, but nothing like what you all are experiencing. My heart goes out to you. At least for med school, almost all the schools had the same pre-reqs. And what is this with the mandatory volunteer hours?? Geez...good luck to you all. I'm so sorry they have made getting into a program such an ordeal.

I was in contact with an admissions coordinator at a university and was informed that they had a recency requirement for any courses over 5 years. I was "WTF! Are you kidding me?" :mad: So if I graduated in 2000, I would have to take most of my pre-reqs over! :thumbdown: