Why I didn't use a physician loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have bought two homes, one as a medical student and one as a brand new attending. I rented in residency. I considered but didn't get a physician loan on either one of them.

I know many, many docs who have used physician loans. I think for the most part it is a bad idea. Here is why:

Physician loans are mostly marketed to graduating medical students and graduating residents. Most graduating medical students shouldn't be buying a house. There are some exceptions, and generally they involve a working spouse, but for the most part, new interns shouldn't own for several reasons:
A) They are too busy to keep up with home maintenance
B) They are not very financially sophisticated (sorry, it's true)
C) They assume that most financial professionals have similar ethics to physicians
D) They will only be in residency for 3-5 years (break-even time period averages 4-5 years, meaning half the time you'll lose money owning for 4 years)
E) They have no down payment
F) They have no additional money to furnish and repair a home
G) They don't buy a home for someone on a resident salary because "hey, I'll be an attending in just 3 years", but when they become an attending they say "I don't want to live in that piece of trash now that I'm making the big bucks." It is rare for an attending to stay in the same home he owned as a resident, but it is common for a resident to be house-poor.
H) They don't realize that interest paid to the bank is exactly the same as rent paid to the landlord
I) They don't realize that unless you have a huge mortgage or A LOT of charitable contributions, that they don't really get a tax break for owning a home.
J) They don't realize that you hardly build any equity in the first 5 years on a 30 year mortgage.
K) They don't realize home prices go down as well as up.
L) They don't realize they would be just as happy renting as buying. From someone who has done both, most landlords don't mind if you want some different paint in your rental or want to fix it up a bit. They'll often pay for materials if you'll do the labor. They are also on the hook when the HVAC or appliances die.
M) They don't realize they can often rent a much bigger place than they can afford to buy (market specific).
N) They don't realize just how much real estate transaction costs are: Realtor fees of 6%, taxes, fees, commissions, marketing costs, loan fees, cost of having the place sit empty for a few months while you try to sell it etc. This can easily be above 10%, especially if you have to lower your price for a quick sale to get to your job in another state.
O) They don't realize that loan interest rates are MUCH higher when you don't put 20% down. You will pay this as PMI, a higher rate on a second mortgage, a higher rate on a single mortgage, or higher fees, but be assured, you WILL PAY IT. No one is going to do you any kind of a favor because "you're a doctor and we know you'll pay us back."

New attendings are usually a bit more financially sophisticated, but much of the above still applies. In addition, you often still don't have a significant down payment saved up, you don't know exactly how much you'll be bringing home each month, and you don't know whether or not you'll really want this job long term. Many docs leave their first job within 5 years. In addition, many docs are moving to a new town and don't know the neighborhoods very well. If they rent for 6-12 months before buying, they'll get to know exactly where they want to live, don't feel pressure to buy right away (and so get a better deal on the mortgage and the home), and can save up a real downpayment. In short, by deferring gratification a bit more, you end up with a nicer place for less money than you would have otherwise.

Buying as a medical student worked out poorly for me. Although we sold the house for more than we bought it for, we paid more each month than we could have rented a similar place for, and the transaction costs were way more than the place appreciated in 4 years.

Buying as a new attending has worked out very well for me because I had learned a few things. I bought an undervalued property in an undervalued area, put 20% down, bought a place that was MUCH less expensive than I could afford, and donate enough to charity that ALL of the interest is tax deductible. Despite the housing downturn it is working out well for me. But MOST of my colleagues are in a different boat. They bought nicer places that have depreciated significantly and they cannot sell them for anywhere near what they paid for them. Most of them put little to nothing down and some even took equity out in the last year or two of the bubble.

Use caution when deciding to buy a house. For most new interns and new attendings rental should be the default option unless there is a very compelling reason to buy.

Members don't see this ad.

Just as a side note, you provide great points, but you're thread is mis-titled. It's more about why you shouldn't buy a house, not why you shouldn't used the "physician's loan".

Just as a side note, you provide great points, but you're thread is mis-titled. It's more about why you shouldn't buy a house, not why you shouldn't used the "physician's loan".

I agree with this completely. These points should be read and re-read. I've bought 3 houses since my first year in medical school. I have been extremely fortunate with the sale of the first two. I road the market up and got out at the right time. We'll see about the third house. I will feel very lucky if I can break even and I was very careful to buy "the right house" from a resale perspective.

The thought of home ownership is very intoxicating, but in the end, you face quite a bit of risk.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought about that when I finished my rant, but then I realized the title is right on because if people didn't get the physician loan, they couldn't buy the house. That's the point. It's this goofy doctor loan that allows people to do something dumb. If they thought they needed 20% down they'd (correctly) say, "Oh, I guess I'm not ready to buy a house yet." And Bank of America and Compass wouldn't make anything off them.

For most new interns and new attendings rental should be the default option unless there is a very compelling reason to buy.

I agree with your entire post. This last sentence was especially wise. My situation is very different from most. I've calculated my taxes for 2009 payable 2010 and I have no tax liability (due to my many deductions). Also, I will have Mr Handyman (my father in-law) living nearby. Compelling reason for me on the rent vs buy is the area. Renting is more expensive than buying (university town). Also, getting a foreclosure can be very compelling for newly minted interns.

Also, I locked my BoA doctor loan last week before all changed, and got a very good rate (not amazing, it was in the 5's). I'm crossing my fingers that underwriting approves my loan. My $8K from Obama is going straight to principle, almost like a down payment.

Before we purchased, we made a commitment to be in the home 7 years. Being an FP with rural areas all around me will make that a very doable situation.

So, everyone's situation is different. On the average, though, I don't think residents should be buying.

I agree with most of what the OP has said, as I ranted earlier in another post on this forum.

Medicine is field with such delayed gratification and participation in many of life's adventures (ie, home buying). We graduate from med school and our banker and lawyer friends are on their 2nd or 2rd home and we are still eating ramen in bulk from costco. So I understand why buying a home is so tempting. I bought with 3 years ago as an intern with the hope of doing some remodeling and making a profit. I finished my basement and did some other upgrades, and those upgrades are the only reason I won't have to short sell my current home, so didn't work out very well.

But there may be one reason to buy now, IF you get a good mortgage. The real estate market right now is the best it has been in decades with many more homes than buyers, and a buyer who doesn't have to sell a home first (i.e., pretty much every graduating medical student) can write their own ticket. So if you can get a great deal on a home AND get a good mortgage AND will be in your home for more than 2-3 years, it may be worth it to buy.

But as the OP said, don't buy just to buy because you think you are supposed to. Really think long and hard about the risk, because it is not trivial.

I agree with much of the above, particularly for graduating medical students/future interns. Intern year is crazy busy, and you will likely not have time to fool with a house if it needs any repairs, etc. plus if you have no down payment you'll get taken to the cleaners by the bank or mortgage broker, more than likely.

However, the 8k tax credit for new homeowners for 2009 and the historically low interest rates make buying now more attractive for people who can afford it. I'm still deciding the rent vs. buy question for my fellowship...I do have a down payment but it would be only 5%, so I'll get stuck with either multiple mortgages, or PMI, or just a crappier interest rate because of not having the 20% down.

I wholeheartly agree with this point - "don't buy just to buy because you think you are supposed to. Really think long and hard about the risk, because it is not trivial." If it makes sense for your unique situation, you should do it. It also depends on where you're going. In many places, it simply makes sense to buy right now. In others, not so much.

The physician loan (depending on which one you use) can be a great way to make this happen, while not having to put %20 down on a home. Of course, it would be optimum to have that %20 on hand, and stashed in an account. I can truly say though, that some (I can't speak on behalf of all of them, because I haven't had experience with every single one) of the physician loans are a better deal than a regular mortgage. In many cases, the interest rate was almost as good as putting %20 down. It's my opinion that this is why BofA cancelled theirs. They don't make that much money on it, and they want to free up capital for other, more lucrative mortgages.

Also, in general, right now is a better time to buy than three years ago. If you bought in the 2005-2007 frame (in some markets), you were buying at the peak of the bubble. If you buy now, hopefully things will go up, rather than down. Obama's 8k tax credit is nice as well! As I tell everyone, it depends on your situation, your risk threshold, and you should ALWAYS shop around and get the best deal for you. Or, rent.

Good post, because this is definitely something EVERYONE should consider, not just physicians.

Last edited:
This is such a perfect thread for me. I am RACKING my brain about buy vs rent. My residency is 5 years, in a severely depressed market. Im single, and one of those years is mandatory away rotations.

Sounds like renting to me....and I was all set up on buying originally.

Another consideration? If you've got kids, renting is rarely worth it. I've found it much more economical to simply buy than to try to find a 3-4 bedroom rental.

For 5 years in one place, it might be worthwhile considering buying a small house or condo. However, if they are going to make you do 1 year at another location, I wouldn't. Then you'll have to fool with trying to rent out your place, and then kick the renter out after the 1 year when you come back or something...

I agree that for people married w/kids, that might tip the scales in favor of buying, for sure. However, for those without kids, and particularly if you are single (i.e. nobody to deal with maintenance emergencies at home, etc.) renting might be better.

I have a question for those of us that want to buy a home. How exactly does it work in setting up a lender? In other words, what is the process you have to take before buying and then closing on a home?

Match Day is next Thursday for those of us going into residency, so we might have a decent idea of where we are going to end up, but by no means do we know for sure. I've tried talking to BOA (dead talks now since no Doctors Loan), Compass, and SunTrust. They gave me a general idea of what I would be approved for, but I haven't been "pre-approved" for anything.

The reason I ask is that my wife and I are planning to immediately after Match Day go to the city we match into and find a house within a week, to end up closing at the beginning of May.

So here's my big question: Do we have to be pre-approved for a loan before we buy a place during that week??? Obviously everything has to be lined up before closing. But I've never bought a house before, even though I know how much house I can afford, I didn't know if I had to be pre-approved first. Also, if I did need to be pre-approved, would they be able to do it for several different cities (at different amounts because of cost of living) at the same time?

I have a question for those of us that want to buy a home. How exactly does it work in setting up a lender? In other words, what is the process you have to take before buying and then closing on a home?

Match Day is next Thursday for those of us going into residency, so we might have a decent idea of where we are going to end up, but by no means do we know for sure. I've tried talking to BOA (dead talks now since no Doctors Loan), Compass, and SunTrust. They gave me a general idea of what I would be approved for, but I haven't been "pre-approved" for anything.

The reason I ask is that my wife and I are planning to immediately after Match Day go to the city we match into and find a house within a week, to end up closing at the beginning of May.

So here's my big question: Do we have to be pre-approved for a loan before we buy a place during that week??? Obviously everything has to be lined up before closing. But I've never bought a house before, even though I know how much house I can afford, I didn't know if I had to be pre-approved first. Also, if I did need to be pre-approved, would they be able to do it for several different cities (at different amounts because of cost of living) at the same time?

Wait...Bank of America killed its Doctor Loan program? I just received a post card in the mail 3 days ago advertising it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Pre-approval is easy and necessary before you put in an offer on a home. Contact one of the banks and they will ask for some basic information (salary, credit history, assets, liabilities) and the amount of money you are looking for and they will get back to you in a day or two letting you know if you are pre-approved. You should ask for a good faith estimate, which will give you a rate and summary of expected fees and closing costs. This will help you establish your budget. You should get pre-approved prior to looking at homes. Some real estate agents wont show you homes without pre-approval, and no smart home seller will accept an offer from you and go under contract on a home without you first being pre-approved.

agree with scholes.
Ask your loan officer or mortgage broker to send you paperwork to get preapproved (NOT just prequalified). They'll need financial information from you (such as W2 forms, etc.). If you are a student you won't really have W2 forms unless your spouse works, so I don't really know what info they'll ask for, other than info on all your assets (how much is in your various bank accounts, etc.), what your car is worth, etc. Also, ask for a good faith estimate...this will show you about how much it's going to cost you to close on your loan. You might be surprised by how much $ you have to come up with.

Just for educational purposes, here is an example I've recently received (numbers rounded for convenience+anonymity). I'm not planning to borrow this much, but asked to get preapproved just in case.

This is for an FHA loan at 5.0% with no points paid (requires 3.5% down and current employment, so most med students couldn't get this, but I'll show the data just for the sake of showing how much it costs to buy).

Purchase price $140,000
Estimated prepaid items $1750
Estimated closing costs: $3100
MIP, funding fee: $2360
Total costs: approx 147k

Loan amount (excluding PMI, funding fee): $135,100
MIP, funding fee $2360
Loan amount: $137460
Cash from borrower: approx $9800

See, it costs a lot of money to buy a house...
The "prepaid items" are things like paying up the homeowners' insurance, real estate taxes, the first month's mortgage + interest payment, etc.
The closing costs includes things like fees to the bank, the appraisal and inspection on the house, etc. The MIP is the mortgage insurance (have to pay this if you don't have a 20% down payment).

I'm definitely going to ask for a better itemized breakdown of what's included in these different fees, but as you can see it's a lot of money. And this deal is from a local credit union...

Since we're on the topic of home buying, I'm thinking of buying a house/condo as I head into an MD/PhD program. I figured, I'll be living in the same city for 7-8 years and in the price range I'm looking at I should be able to scrape together at least 15% on my own for a down payment. The plan is to buy a 2-3 bedroom and get some roommates. Has anyone done anything like this? Thinking of doing so? It seems that quite a few mudphuds had bought places at all the schools I visited.

I did see several Md/PhD students with condos, etc. when I was a med student. I think if you are going to be there x 7 years it isn't a bad idea. Think hard about whether you are likely to want roommates the whole time...if not, a smaller 1 bedroom condo might be a better choice. If you think you'll want roommate(s), then a house might be good.

Since we're on the topic of home buying, I'm thinking of buying a house/condo as I head into an MD/PhD program. I figured, I'll be living in the same city for 7-8 years and in the price range I'm looking at I should be able to scrape together at least 15% on my own for a down payment. The plan is to buy a 2-3 bedroom and get some roommates. Has anyone done anything like this? Thinking of doing so? It seems that quite a few mudphuds had bought places at all the schools I visited.

Remember 15% doesn't get you a much better rate than 5%. The real change is at 20% down.

Remember 15% doesn't get you a much better rate than 5%. The real change is at 20% down.

ActiveDuty is right, because it's the 20% that keeps you from having to pay PMI. The PMI is just money you pay that benefits the lender 100%, and you not at all.

True. But if you eventually knock off that extra 5% on top of the initial 15%, the PMI goes away.

True. But if you eventually knock off that extra 5% on top of the initial 15%, the PMI goes away.

Yes, but many lenders require you to file lots of paperwork, including an appraisal (~$400) that YOU pay for to get rid of PMI. I assure you they drag their feet on this process.

I agree with the original poster, but let me play devil's advocate. As financially unsaavy as the physician is, purchasing a house is a great (perhaps the best) way to learn the in's and out's of real world financing - albeit at a large price. This is a price I am willing to pay in our world of constantly deferring life experience.

Welp, this soon to be intern just plopped his deposit down on a rental.

Im not man enough for the house buying thing.

buckeye,
for what it's worth, I think you are likely smart not to try to deal with owning a house as an intern...particularly if you are not in a long residency (like 5 years or more) and/or don't know you are going to stay where you are for several years.

Well, my residency is 5 years, but my fourth year is mandatory away. I don't want to have to worry about the house/maintenance/break ins etc. Much less of a problem if I am renting.

May bite me in the long run, but Im not staying there after I finish...for fellowship purposes and also because Toledo is teh suck.

I never understood this phenomenon. Several people I know graduated med school and just started practicing and within a few months, they all got brand new cars and 250-600k homes. Subprime hit a few of them hard, though they claim they got great offers on their homes and wanted to go back to renting an apartment.

When my gf (a practicing physician) return to the US, we're going to live lean for a few years through my residency and whatever she decides to do until we have six figures saved up, which isn't that much anymore, and then decide on where we will finally practice.

My experience and reasons to buy not rent (and the outcomes)

-Local mortgage rates were low at the time (~2005), with a 5% down, rate was about 4.5% locked in for 5 years. This will come due next year, and will likely get to get that same rate again for another 5.
-I guessed city would be a growth market, with a waterfront harbour city. Out of favour with other buyers at the time, who were only focusing on overheated markets.
-Availability of historic houses in gentrifying arts district near downtown. Well built, most work done, in need of polish.
-I enjoy housing improvement. I don't like it when things break or don't work. I want the ability to either do it myself or (rarely) have someone do it, but it will be done how I want it and be done right so it doesn't always keep breaking, or I have to live with something broken because some landlord doesn't fell like fixing it or fixing it right.
-A nice experience to enjoy home-ownership to create and polish a house.
-I don't do well with landlords or other people ordering me what to do, part of the reason for selecting a self-employment career like physician in the first place.

Outcomes:
-Neighborhood changed around house, creating passive value. -Underappreciated city caught up to the prices of peers.
-List price improved approximately 50%, soundly trouncing the 3-and-a-half year costs of mortgage interest, maintenance, etc, and making good tax sense with tax-free capital gain.
-Good non-monetary value in enjoyment of home ownership, living in a place that exactly how I want it, and blissful silence where landlords used to be.

You bought in 2005. What is your home value gain/loss now?

You bought in 2005. What is your home value gain/loss now?

It's right there in the post

Outcomes:
-Neighborhood changed around house, creating passive value. -Underappreciated city caught up to the prices of peers.
-List price improved approximately 50%, soundly trouncing the 3-and-a-half year costs of mortgage interest, maintenance, etc, and making good tax sense with tax-free capital gain.
-Good non-monetary value in enjoyment of home ownership, living in a place that exactly how I want it, and blissful silence where landlords used to be.

Yeah, I read that, and still wondered what the value of the home is now.

the real estate market has tanked in some places like Florida and CA, but there are still plenty of places where housing prices have stayed the same, or even gone up, in the past few years.

the real estate market has tanked in some places like Florida and CA, but there are still plenty of places where housing prices have stayed the same, or even gone up, in the past few years.
Even with the notable exceptions, the actual price someone will pay for a home is off massively from what anyone will appraise at. That was one of the problems and the scams involved with the current crisis. Home values were being inflated by appraisers and now people realize the homes are not really worth what they became set at. Thus, you have the issue where people sometimes have to walk away from the home and allow foreclosure, rather than selling it and being left with a mortgage portion left to pay.

Pretty much all buyers know that houses are not worth what the homeowner would appraise at, and they are definitely not worth what the bank would appraise at either. It is in their interest to appraise high for a larger loan load, and appraise high when or if they have to foreclose.

Even with the notable exceptions, the actual price someone will pay for a home is off massively from what anyone will appraise at. That was one of the problems and the scams involved with the current crisis. Home values were being inflated by appraisers and now people realize the homes are not really worth what they became set at. Thus, you have the issue where people sometimes have to walk away from the home and allow foreclosure, rather than selling it and being left with a mortgage portion left to pay.

Pretty much all buyers know that houses are not worth what the homeowner would appraise at, and they are definitely not worth what the bank would appraise at either. It is in their interest to appraise high for a larger loan load, and appraise high when or if they have to foreclose.
Again, that's highly variable. Some lenders didn't use rubber-stamp appraisers, and those homebuyers are probably better off as a result. For any fly-by-night sell-in-a-minute lender (not there is anything inherently bad with these kinds of lenders) the chance of them using a rubber-stamp appraiser was much higher.

On average, you're probably correct, but "average" is meaningless in the real estate market, and merely makes a good talking point on MSNBC.

It is highly variable, but when you have one or more homes in the area over-appraised, adjacent homes inflate in value as well.

Interesting thread.....

Just to give another side to the arguement so as not to completely scare off anyone considering buying a house in residency. This is a very individual decision. I actually consider myself quite financially savvy (raised by two CPA's, lucky me). My husband and I completed med school and are in residency in the city in which we both grew up - we plan to stay here forever even if it means taking less than ideal jobs, ie. we would trade lower salaries for not having to leave our beloved hometown.

We chose to buy our first home when we began residency almost a year ago. A local bank here does "resident loans" for the residents at our program. We got 100% financing with one loan, 5.75% interest rate, no PMI and only brought $1300 to closing (not including the $300 for appraisal paid earlier).

For some renting is best, but I don't think one can make blanket statements that buying is the wrong idea for all med students/residents.

It is highly variable, but when you have one or more homes in the area over-appraised, adjacent homes inflate in value as well.
Disagree. Comps used in appraisals are based on the SALES PRICE of similar homes, not the appraised value of similar homes. To what extent the appraiser bases his appraisal on comps (no 2 houses are identical) vs. other factors sets up the potential for value inflation. Thus, it all comes back to the particular appraiser (and lender. Back in the height of the subprime lending frenzy, some lenders were basically telling appraisers to appraise for the loan amount else they would start using someone that would.)

For some renting is best, but I don't think one can make blanket statements that buying is the wrong idea for all med students/residents.

No one is making blanket statements or saying anything is appropriate for "all" but it seems the default option too often is buying when it should be renting. And unfortunately, a large percentage of med students/residents/new attendings aren't very financially savvy and end up making a bad decision that has a significant effect on their lifestyle and wealth accumulation.

Basically, I'm providing a counterpoint to the bazillion threads on doctor loans this forum sees.

No one is making blanket statements or saying anything is appropriate for "all" but it seems the default option too often is buying when it should be renting. And unfortunately, a large percentage of med students/residents/new attendings aren't very financially savvy and end up making a bad decision that has a significant effect on their lifestyle and wealth accumulation.

Basically, I'm providing a counterpoint to the bazillion threads on doctor loans this forum sees.

If you can come up with the 5% down, with NO PMI, i think that buying a NEW construction is a great option, especially in this market and if your doing a residency in a large city where the rent is 1200-1500+/month for a 1 bedroom. After the tax benefits of buying( property tax deduction, mortgage interest deduction, closing cost deduction), a 1600 mortgage will cost you about 1200-1300/month and you get ownership. I have done the calculations.

if your buying a old house ( i'd say >10 years old) then its gonna cost to maintain it, then renting seems more logical. the same goes with if your doing a residency in a small city where maybe the rent for a 1 br is like 800-900/month.

I do feel that its imp to mention that I have the backing of people who are financially secure, so if i need money I can rely on them for funds within matter of minutes. Based on the numbers I wont need extra money, but they act as almost insurance, which is why I am making this big jump. Without this backing I dont think would have bought a house. Not all people will have this safety net to fall back on.

If you can come up with the 5% down, with NO PMI, i think that buying a NEW construction is a great option, especially in this market and if your doing a residency in a large city where the rent is 1200-1500+/month for a 1 bedroom. After the tax benefits of buying( property tax deduction, mortgage interest deduction, closing cost deduction), a 1600 mortgage will cost you about 1200-1300/month and you get ownership. I have done the calculations.

if your buying a old house ( i'd say >10 years old) then its gonna cost to maintain it, then renting seems more logical. the same goes with if your doing a residency in a small city where maybe the rent for a 1 br is like 800-900/month.

I do feel that its imp to mention that I have the backing of people who are financially secure, so if i need money I can rely on them for funds within matter of minutes. Based on the numbers I wont need extra money, but they act as almost insurance, which is why I am making this big jump. Without this backing I dont think would have bought a house. Not all people will have this safety net to fall back on.
Be careful with new construction if you value your time. You will have just as many (if not more) maintenence issues with new construction. Sure, you have a warranty from the builder so you don't have to pay anything to have the issues resolved, but the terms of the warranty are usually such that the builder uses his people to fix it, and you will wind up sitting around all day for his guys to show up (and they might not show.) The specific builder is very important when buying new construction.

Be careful with new construction if you value your time. You will have just as many (if not more) maintenence issues with new construction. Sure, you have a warranty from the builder so you don't have to pay anything to have the issues resolved, but the terms of the warranty are usually such that the builder uses his people to fix it, and you will wind up sitting around all day for his guys to show up (and they might not show.) The specific builder is very important when buying new construction.

yep...i know..hence i went with a VERY reputable builder...also they changed the design of the homes. Initially they built 3 story homes, then switched over two the 2 story (one im getting), so the community has been around for about 2-3 years now...i spoke with some random people in the community and got awesome feedback.

Just wanted to thank the original poster for this quality post (one might say Moody's rating AAA). :thumbup:

I was already a resident at the time of this post, and was encouraged to buy a home, but did not want to for many reasons. This post confirmed, reinforced, and even introduced many reasons why medical students and residents really should stick to renting in 95% of cases. If more people had read this post and really digested it, people wouldn't be underwater or short saling.

Strongly agree with OP. I bought when I started my residency. I was in the camp of "why rent, its just throwing money down a hole." Its so much more complicated than that. True in certain markets buying can be great. Really if you can find a property for which you would pay the same for mortgage+expenses as you would for rent, then by all means buy.

But be sure to factor in ALL the expenses, including property tax, insurance, monthly maintenance, sewer/water/garbage (which are usually paid by landlords for renters) etc etc etc. One expense you probably wouldn't think of is furnishings. Yes, you have to furnish most apartments, but you do so much more if you buy the property. Go price effing curtains and curtain rods sometime. . .its amazing how pricey decent ones can be.

I bought at the peak of the bubble unfortunately, and I would be hard pressed to break even at this point, even after paying on it for 5 years. Fortunately I got married about a year after buying and my wife had housing included in her job benefits, so I was able to rent my place out. The rent covers MOST of the mortgage+ expenses but not all, so I'm paying a bit out of pocket. Overall its very nice to have the renter pick up the bulk of the tab though.

I did go the physician loan route and the OP is right, if it weren't available I wouldn't have been able to buy which would have been a good thing. It is a valuable tool however if you know what you are getting into and find a property for cheap. As far as PMI, I didn't have to pay any. I went through a local bank who had their own version of the physician loan and that was one of the perks.

Someone also brought up the point of buying is a good just for going through the experience, and I'll second that. Its not a primary reason to buy, but it has been good to see the ins and outs.

My overall point: Renting is awesome and shouldn't be looked down on or thought of as financially unwise. Buying can be right in the right circumstances, but likely not for most med studs/residents.