Why foot spa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartman716

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never really understood the reasoning behind foot spas. I see so many ads about foot spas and foot massages. People often get billed for these services.

I would like to hear from podiatrists, pod students, and others what they think about foot spas. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have never really understood the reasoning behind foot spas. I see so many ads about foot spas and foot massages. People often get billed for these services.

I would like to hear from podiatrists, pod students, and others what they think about foot spas. Thank you.

probably just another stream of income like having a pt on staff id say? the whole cosmetic thing really works well in places like socal or any affluent area :) I think its not too bad of an idea for the practice that has it all already

Maybe I should have worded it differently, but I would like to know if there are any health benefit in getting a foot massage. Would pods endorse a visit to a foot spa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I should have worded it differently, but I would like to know if there are any health benefit in getting a foot massage. Would pods endorse a visit to a foot spa?

Some podiatry offices have whirlpool foot baths. They are cleaned after each patient and provide a warm soothing environment for the patient to relax while awaiting treatment, usually for removal of callous's and nail trimming. The foot baths make the nails & callous's softer and easier to cut. Some pods charge for this if covered by insurance, some do not charge since it makes for a happier patient base and makes the work much easier.

Foot massage can be very relaxing, and can help to relax tight muscles of the feet. PT uses a technique called the J stroke that can interrupt deeper structures and cause relief for very tight soft tissue areas.

Foot spas and massage are generally NOT covered by insurance companies. PT and Pod services usually are. Some go for a foot massage or pedicure because it makes them feel and look better.

One of our clinical instructors said that she doesn't recommend foot spas that are outside of an office; especially if they practice cutting or pushing back the cuticle. When she has gone, she's taken all of her own instruments for the staff to use. You just don't know how clean the instruments are.