Why don't young Indians travel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...Im a Canadian/American dual citizen but of East Indian descent. This is just out of curiousity, but I was wondering why young North Americans of Indian origin dont backpack and see the world? I am 23 and have backpacked around 27 countries and throughout my travels, i have only seen one Indian person and that was an East Indian girl who moved to Panama.

I have learned so much and have been through so many adventures, and independent travelling is now becoming my life. I have such a desire to see the world (my goal in life is 101 countries at least) and to learn about all the cultures of the world, and it would be nice to see other young Indians like myself take on similar interests.

Is there any specific reason why I have never met any Indians like this? I guess I can understand why I never see females because of the overprotection issue, but what about the guys?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't realize that but you are so right ! I don't hear about indians backpacking places. I could never do it because I need everything planned out for me before I go on any trip.. I am just neurotic like that lol.. I think I won't do too well backpacking around the world. :)

But its really great how you did that !! Where all have you been and what was your favorite place? what's the next destination?

I would love to do something like that...but as a normal Indian, my parent's had a big influence on what I got to do. My parents would never had let me do anything like that, especially alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey...thanks for replying to my thread because this is something Ive always wondered about.

Anyways, you guys gotta remember that Im 100% East Indian, and my parents are straight out of Delhi so I consider myself a NORMAL INDIAN....I go through the exact same things that other Indian kids go through.....so I was put in a huge dilemma....how could I travel the world like I want to, but without pissing my parents off.....How could I get around the dreaded Indian obstacle??? well, as all of us know, as soon as education is mentioned, Indian parents will not refuse. That was the key to my success.....

So here is my story of how I was able to overcome my Indian parents....

during undergrad, I did a year university exchange in England....although my parents were hesitant at first, England was properly picked by me because it has good universities, and a ton of INDIANS.....so my parents were easier to convince......and since England is the gateway for so many different places, I was able to travel all of Europe, and some of Asia and Africa.....

Then the next summer, I needed a new excuse to get out...on of my friends in Mexico City's parents are dentists, so I was able to convince my parents to let me goto Mexico City, because if I got a recommendation letter from a Mexican dentist, it would look good on my dental application....so then from Mexico, I was able to goto Guatemala and Belize....my parents didnt know this, which ended being bad in the end, because my friend and I ran out of money and I couldnt call my INDIAN parents for help out of fear, so we had to hitchike all the way from Mexico back to Canada :scared: At least I got back in one piece!!!!!!!

Then this summer, I told them that I needed to get experience for my masters in public health degree, and I got a job in Costa Rica for the summer...and while in Costa Rica, I was able to travel to Panama, Nicaragua, and Cuba.

So, although the Indian obstacle was very difficult to overcome, I was able to do it.........cmon everyone...Indian parents are sooo easy to manipulate! Just look all those desi girls who go out on Saturday night to go "study at the library, or Ritu's house"...... :laugh:

DoctorMalki said:
I didn't realize that but you are so right ! I don't hear about indians backpacking places. I could never do it because I need everything planned out for me before I go on any trip.. I am just neurotic like that lol.. I think I won't do too well backpacking around the world. :)

But its really great how you did that !! Where all have you been and what was your favorite place? what's the next destination?

Hey Dr.Malki.....dont get me wrong here....Im anal when it comes to planning and before I go, I have my entire itin planned out....but Im always open minded that this itin will get totally changed, as you talk to other travellers, get tips, etc. Its totally doable for you! Just get a guidebook and you are set!

About me, well I have been to the following places:

India (of course!), Canada, USA, Bermuda, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Morocco, Turkey, Spain, Italy, Greece, Slovenia, Switzerland, Portugal, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, England, Scotland, Ireland, and Sweden.......

My fav place?? thats gonna be a tough one, because each one was so unique and great in its own way. But I can tell you that the most beautiful city I have ever been to was Barcelona....and the most beautiful country is between Slovenia and Costa Rica....and the most interesting place has to be Cuba and Nicaragua.

My next destination? Well I would like to focus more on Asia.....I have an ex-girlfriend in Japan that I am going to see this summer to try and rekindle things, but I also want to see my grandmother in Delhi, because her health is going bad these days :( so Japan and India seem like the next destination for me this summer.......if I have time and money, Thailand is also gonna happen!! :thumbup:

Hmm, I did travel a lot, but not alone. I went to South Africa when I was around 3 and lived there pretty much till 5th grade. Then, I went to India and studied while my parents still lived in SA. I went back once every 2 years, and pretty much saw most of the countries in Southern Africa like Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia, Mozambique, Malawi with them. Apart from that Ive been to places like Dubai, Abudhabi, Singapore, Mauritius and many others by booking my flights a week apart. Now Im here for my bachelors, and I feel like Im gonna be here for a loooong time... :) :oops:

Dr.BadVibes said:
Hey Dr.Malki.....dont get me wrong here....Im anal when it comes to planning and before I go, I have my entire itin planned out....but Im always open minded that this itin will get totally changed, as you talk to other travellers, get tips, etc. Its totally doable for you! Just get a guidebook and you are set!

About me, well I have been to the following places:

India (of course!), Canada, USA, Bermuda, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Morocco, Turkey, Spain, Italy, Greece, Slovenia, Switzerland, Portugal, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, England, Scotland, Ireland, and Sweden.......

My fav place?? thats gonna be a tough one, because each one was so unique and great in its own way. But I can tell you that the most beautiful city I have ever been to was Barcelona....and the most beautiful country is between Slovenia and Costa Rica....and the most interesting place has to be Cuba and Nicaragua.

My next destination? Well I would like to focus more on Asia.....I have an ex-girlfriend in Japan that I am going to see this summer to try and rekindle things, but I also want to see my grandmother in Delhi, because her health is going bad these days :( so Japan and India seem like the next destination for me this summer.......if I have time and money, Thailand is also gonna happen!! :thumbup:

I am so sorry about your grandmother :( I hope she feels better soon ! :) wooahhh those are some awesome places you have been too. Thailand is great !! That's one of the few places i go regularly since my mother was born and brought up there so her side of the family is there. I love bangkok ! and thai food from the streets !! Bangkok has a really good transportation system now..... other places in thailand such as samui, kra bee and chiang mai are really beautiful and exotic places. Pattaya used to be nice but it sucks now it got really over populated and is super polluted now

Hey coming to think of it, we should set up a travel club here for anyone who is interested in backpacking.

I know I am down for it during any time I have off. I dont mind going alone, but if there are SDNers who are also interested in travel company would be great.

what do you guys think?

This is just out of curiousity, but I was wondering why young North Americans of Indian origin dont backpack and see the world? I am 23 and have backpacked around 27 countries and throughout my travels, i have only seen one Indian person and that was an East Indian girl who moved to Panama.

Is there any specific reason why I have never met any Indians like this? I guess I can understand why I never see females because of the overprotection issue, but what about the guys?

hey bro,
how exactly did u arrive at this conclusion? did u expect to see a whole bunch of indians kids in some of the places u visited or do none of ur 'indian' friends travel? i know kids (indians) who are amongst the most travelled in my class........

Easy,
W.

Wichitanhey said:
bro,
how exactly did u arrive at this conclusion? did u expect to see a whole bunch of indians kids in some of the places u visited or do none of ur 'indian' friends travel? i know kids (indians) who are amongst the most travelled in my class........

Easy,
W.

I dont know bud....I come from Toronto where there is probably a million Indians there....my undergrad was pretty much little India, and I never met one Indian that travelled.....and Im not talking about travelling with family and stuff....Im talking about independent travelling....

I understand that in Latin America, or Africa, so I wasnt suprised to not see any other Indians, but I did a lot of Europe where there were more backpackers than locals, and still, didnt see ONE Indian person.....it could be just bad luck, so thats why I made this thread in the first place to see if there were any others like myself....

DoctorMalki said:
I am so sorry about your grandmother :( I hope she feels better soon ! :) wooahhh those are some awesome places you have been too. Thailand is great !! That's one of the few places i go regularly since my mother was born and brought up there so her side of the family is there. I love bangkok ! and thai food from the streets !! Bangkok has a really good transportation system now..... other places in thailand such as samui, kra bee and chiang mai are really beautiful and exotic places. Pattaya used to be nice but it sucks now it got really over populated and is super polluted now

thai food is sooo yummyyyyyyyy :p

I am an Indian girl who moved to the US when I was ten and I am studying abroad right now in Europe. It was not easy to convince my mom to let me go. Two of my friends are also studying in the same city so she felt more comfortable letting me go I think. Still, I think she has an anxiety attack every time I announce that I am traveling to another country...so I don't know how much more I will get to travel independently but so far, this has been an awesome experience!

And yes, I almost never see any other Indians and I've traveled to a couple of countries already. I think Indians just travel more in families than independently...because we definitely get around! I know that the next time I'll probably be traveling would be when I get married or something.