Why don't professors like to admit when a midterm answer key is wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just the embarrassment and not wanting to go through an auditorium's worth of tests again, or something more? For example, do they get evaluated based on the accuracy of their answer keys?

I'm taking pre med classes at Harvard Extension right now which has prompted this question. Based on the answers here, I might figure out how much I should (or should not) pursue an inaccurate answer key if it's only worth a couple points. Some of my classmates have been pretty scary toward the professor, raising their voices, getting pale with vains sticking out of their necks, making very minor threats, etc. I just feel bad for the professor and would almost prefer just to accept having extra undeserved points taken off my test then to contribute to the professor's stress.

Members don't see this ad.

These professors are used to teaching premeds, so they have to deal with a lot of grade-related whining on a daily basis. Therefore, they may be dismissive at first when you claim a grading error on an exam. However, I am fairly confident that if you are objectively correct (ie, a math error, typo, or simple factual mistake was made on the answer key) they will be receptive when you bring it forward. Just don't make it personal, and if they tell you that you're wrong or that it's subjective, don't argue about it. Having worked with many of the professors who teach premed courses at the extension school, I have the utmost faith in their desire to be fair to their students (at least the vast majority of them).

Reactions: 1 user
most professors, in my experience, will appreciate someone politely pointing their attention to mistakes. I would not jump to the conclusion that professors in general do not "like" to admit that they are wrong - this seems a gross overgeneralization.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Be professional. Be polite. Do it in private, and allow the professor to save face.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd send a polite email pointing out the error as concisely as possible. If there is a TA to send to first that would be good, Profs will listen if the TA brings it to them.

Reactions: 1 user