Why doesn't breast cancer cause enlarged breasts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like ot start off by saying that this is NOT homework for me. It's just a curiosity type of question.

I realize that tumors form, but breast tumors are not that big.

Also, does a person with blood cancer have *more* blood and higher blood pressure than those without blood cancer?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like ot start off by saying that this is NOT homework for me. It's just a curiosity type of question.

I realize that tumors form, but breast tumors are not that big.

Also, does a person with blood cancer have *more* blood and higher blood pressure than those without blood cancer?

Some times they do have bigger breasts. It does depend on the size of the tumor and/or the secretions of a tumor.

They may or may not have higher blood pressure. Usually its a side effect of secretions from the tumor though and not the actual vascularization of the tumor. Unless the tumor was huge I wouldnt expect much of an increase in blood volume. But these kinds of adaptions are gradual.

Some times they do have bigger breasts. It does depend on the size of the tumor and/or the secretions of a tumor.

They may or may not have higher blood pressure. Usually its a side effect of secretions from the tumor though and not the actual vascularization of the tumor. Unless the tumor was huge I wouldnt expect much of an increase in blood volume. But these kinds of adaptions are gradual.

Very good. IS the same for blood cancer - i.e. the making of too much of a particular blood cell type? Another words, do the people with blood cancer have more blood pressure or does it depend on the secretions as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most cancers that cause hypertension do so through indirect mechanisms (ex. paraneoplastic small cell lung cancer can increase ADH). As far as I know, while it is possible, any direct increase in blood volume doesn't usually contribute enough to really cause hypertension. Blood cancers are specific to a cell line, so you see increased cells of that line. The rest of the blood constituents can be all over the place, up or down. Multiple myeloma for instance is a common blood cancer that can cause hypercalcemia and kidney failure (hypotension).

But you are thinking like a pathologist... so you get my thumbs up.

Very good. IS the same for blood cancer - i.e. the making of too much of a particular blood cell type? Another words, do the people with blood cancer have more blood pressure or does it depend on the secretions as well?

It generally wont affect your BP. First of all your body adapts to changes in blood volume in order to regulate your BP. Also cells are very small. When you have an infection and there are more WBCs in your blood, your BP doesnt change because of it.

Regarding breast CA & breast size: a large enough tumor relative to the breast in which it is growing can change the size; people typically catch them before then and do something about it. You should also know that tumor growth is not necessarily a net positive event; tumors can and do cause varying forms of necrosis and apoptosis of the surrounding tissue so that the normal tissue diminishes as the tumor grows.

Regarding leukemias and adding to the above responses -- there are many factors in play, but [total blood volume] =/= cellular volume... in addition, there generally are concomitant decreases in other cell lines that result from the marrow leukemic infiltrates.