why does everyone take the mcat in april?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brundlefly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've just finished my sophmore year at u of i, and i was wondering why its a common practice for everyone to take the mcat for the first time in april of their junior year. it seems that with a spring semester load, studying for the mcat wont be nearly as efficient as taking it first in august and dedicating a whole summer to just preparing and studying for it. i realized this freshman year and decided to get physics 101 and 102 done during sophmore year and take the mcat in august of my junior year. (where as most seem to take physics junior year and the mcat that spring) And since i have the year of organic, inorganic, and 2 years of bio (since its my major) under my belt taking it early shouldn't mean that i dont have the knowledge needed for the mcat. i think taking it in august of junior year should be what everyone does and it seems like it will be less stressful and better scores will be achieved. also if you screw up on it in august, a second or even a third retake will allow you to be on track and not delayed in your application.

the only subject i'm a bit worried about is biochem since i havent taken it and i hear the mcat touches on some of that. but other then that, taking it a semester early seems like definetly a better idea. WHY DONT MORE PEOPLE DO THAT???

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan really is ideal, but most people just aren't that far ahead of the game.

I would definitely recommend taking the MCAT before your junior year starts in August if you are ready to. One of my friends did that and did well, and I would definitely do it. For me, I had not taken the second semester of physics yet so it wasn't an option, but that's great if you can take it then!!! It will be a lot less stress later on!

Oh, by the way, biochem is not required to take the MCAT, and I don't think I would let that course be the determining factor in deciding when to take the MCAT... but that's just my opinion!

although you've said "august of junior year" i think what you're talking about is what i would call "august after sophomore year," as many people are on quarters, which usually don't start until september.

anyway, why didn't i take the MCAT the august after my soph year? simple: no one told me you could do that! I just thought that pre-meds were supposed to take it april of junior year. i know that sounds stupid, but seriously, by the time i took it this april (april of junior year) i had to re-learn ~70% of all the ochem, gen chem and physics that i used to know. definately NOT ideal.

i recommend that you take the MCAT in august while everything is still fresh in your mind. if i could go back in time, i would have done the same thing.

oh, by the way, don't worry about biochem. what's on the MCAT likely won't go beyond anything in a kaplan/princeton review book anyway. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Brundlefly said:
i've just finished my sophmore year at u of i, and i was wondering why its a common practice for everyone to take the mcat for the first time in april of their junior year. it seems that with a spring semester load, studying for the mcat wont be nearly as efficient as taking it first in august and dedicating a whole summer to just preparing and studying for it. i realized this freshman year and decided to get physics 101 and 102 done during sophmore year and take the mcat in august of my junior year. (where as most seem to take physics junior year and the mcat that spring) And since i have the year of organic, inorganic, and 2 years of bio (since its my major) under my belt taking it early shouldn't mean that i dont have the knowledge needed for the mcat. i think taking it in august of junior year should be what everyone does and it seems like it will be less stressful and better scores will be achieved. also if you screw up on it in august, a second or even a third retake will allow you to be on track and not delayed in your application.

the only subject i'm a bit worried about is biochem since i havent taken it and i hear the mcat touches on some of that. but other then that, taking it a semester early seems like definetly a better idea. WHY DONT MORE PEOPLE DO THAT???

Wow, if you are ready to take it that early, go for the gold!!

You can even retake in April of your Junior Yr (when most students take it) and still be in good position in the application cycle.

-tx

Yeah that's a good idea. You have a whole summer to study, no finals or classes to worry about. Its always a bad idea when your GPA and MCAT are competing with each other for your time. Also the fact that you've just finished your MCAT prereqs outweighs any benefits you could get from more advanced classes. Definitely take August after sophomore year, even if you aren't finished with all the prereqs. My friend took it August of after sophomore year even though he didn't finish his second semester of physics, still got a 13 on PS.

I know aamc *says* that you only need the basic pre-reqs to take the MCAT, I will tell you that even this past April, there were several questions in which I felt having taken physiology along with bchm were a great deal of help. just my .02

i took it august after my 2nd year and sorta regret it. i was taking 4 classes and had a 2 hour commute each way. i think i'd have done much better had i taken it in april when i was living in the dorms.

another thing to consider - by taking it in august of your soph year, you reduce the # of times you can apply with that score to 2 - since you can't apply your junior year. so april ppl can apply 3 times but august ppl can apply twice before the scores expire.

I think the whole point in taking it in the summer is to not load yourself up with summer school courses during that summer. You want to make sure your GPA and MCAT do not compete with each other. Also, I really don't think anyone takes the MCAT planning to apply 3 times.

CaptainJack02 said:
i took it august after my 2nd year and sorta regret it. i was taking 4 classes and had a 2 hour commute each way. i think i'd have done much better had i taken it in april when i was living in the dorms.

another thing to consider - by taking it in august of your soph year, you reduce the # of times you can apply with that score to 2 - since you can't apply your junior year. so april ppl can apply 3 times but august ppl can apply twice before the scores expire.

People who go to school where there is a quarter system in place get off for the summer later than those at schools with semester systems. That means they have less time to prepare. Because the test is curved, I think that many of them are scared to take it in the summer. By taking it in the middle of the school year, people feel more comfortable knowing that everyone has to balance the test with some other obligation, whether it's school, work or whatever--a more even playing field. As someone who took the test in April, at least that's what I hope.

Also, I don't know how prevalent this is in other parts of the country, but I know that a handful of medical schools in southern California prefer applicants who have taken the April MCAT.

hamburglar said:
People who go to school where there is a quarter system in place get off for the summer later than those at schools with semester systems. That means they have less time to prepare. Because the test is curved, I think that many of them are scared to take it in the summer. By taking it in the middle of the school year, people feel more comfortable knowing that everyone has to balance the test with some other obligation, whether it's school, work or whatever--a more even playing field. As someone who took the test in April, at least that's what I hope.

Also, I don't know how prevalent this is in other parts of the country, but I know that a handful of medical schools in southern California prefer applicants who have taken the April MCAT.

I think they prefer it so that you will have your application in early. So since August of Junior year is even earlier, perhaps its even better? :oops:

I see your point though--med schools might like to see that you can balance several things at once, thus favoring the April MCATers!

-tx

I'd like to know where you heard that schools would prefer a junior year April test to a post post sophomore august MCAT.

hamburglar said:

Pinkertinkle said:
I'd like to know where you heard that schools would prefer a junior year April test to a post post sophomore august MCAT.

From The Princeton Review's Complete Book of Medical Schools (2003 Edition) in the Suggestions section for each of the following schools:
UCLA: "The April, rather than August, MCAT is advised."
UCSD: "The MCAT is required, and the spring exam is advised."
UCSF: "The MCAT is required, and the spring MCAT is strongly advised."
Loma Linda University: "Applicants are urged to take the April rather than the August MCAT."

I don't know how heavily admissions committees weigh when you took the exam. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I definitely recommend taking MCAT in August before Junior year. I believe that a lot of people are either not ready or don't know about this. It's really hard to do well on both MCAT and school work. I don't think any school really prefers April score to August score year before.

Both april/august are MCATS so the level of difficulty should be the same (at least according to AAMC)
I would take it in August too if you feel you're ready and have done enough practice tests & completed all pre-reqs@ Then, if you are not satisfied with your scores, you can still retake next april and be early in the application cycle!!!!! Some of my friends are doing this too, and their advisor told them it was ok if you had completed all the pre-reqs.
I see this as an advantage rather than a disadvantage. You have all the concepts fresh in your head! Just do practice tests, learn to time yourself,
GOOD LUCK :)

The guy who ran our Kaplan course said the only difference between April and August exams is the grading curve. Supposedly (and he said this was according to the MCAT people) a higher percentage of people are better prepared in August than in April, so when the test is standardized, curved, whatever the hell they do, it is a slightly higher curve. In other words, you might need a slightly higher raw score to get a 10, etc.

That was the reason given to us.

hamburglar said:
From The Princeton Review's Complete Book of Medical Schools (2003 Edition) in the Suggestions section for each of the following schools:
Loma Linda University: "Applicants are urged to take the April rather than the August MCAT."

I don't know how heavily admissions committees weigh when you took the exam. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Don't be so literal, use a little context. I seriously doubt those quotes mean "don't take the August MCAT at all". Rather, they seem to assume that the applicant will be taking the exam sometime junior year and should do so in April to avoid problems with delaying applications due to the August sitting. If you look at the exam curves, August and April are essentially identical. It makes sense for many ppl to take it in August, and just study all summer when you aren't in class.

hamburglar said:

I agree with Lincoln, I'm quite sure these mean the adcoms prefer you take the MCAT april of junior year vs. august of junior year, not that they prefer you not to take the MCAT august after sophomore year.

Brundlefly I'm in the same boat as you, wish you the best of luck!

hamburglar said:

April's better because of rolling admissions and the interview process. Those of us about to get our scores back will be interviewing while the August MCATers are testing. Remember that the April And August tests 2004 are for the enetering class of Fall 2005. Don't take it too early (like Aug before your junior year), for a couple of reasons:
1. You want to make sure to be prepared, meaning get as many pre-reqs in as you can (biochem NOT necessary, but I suggest genetics and pysiology)
2.Don't take it early, just to give yourself the cushion for retaking. That's what practice test are for. Do it once and do it right.
3. If you're entering the Fall 2006 class, you want to take the MCAT your fellow students take, i.e the 2005 administration. I've asked my advisor about this, and while there's no hard and fast rule, she'll just say "well..." It may look like you were meant to apply for earlier cycle, but backed out or something.

Good luck. Don't underestimate the MCAT beast. :thumbup:

The mcat barely touches on biochem and it is biochem you should have had during ochem 2. I tell my younger classmates to do exactly what you are doing. Besides being ahead of the game, it gives you a chance to retake in April if necessary without falling behind.

However, college isn't just for studying and getting ready for the MCAT. I studied abroad my sophomore year (Madrid) and part of junior year (Cuba) and took classes that were interesting and fun.

P.S. I took the MCAT while I was taking Phys 2, Bio 2 and Ochem 2 and I did really well on the practice tests (29 without the knowledge from those classes)... so, doing well on the MCAT isn't just about knowledge, it is about good test-taking. Hell, you might be ready to take it this August. Take the free Kaplan practice exam.