Why do you want to be a doctor???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasim288

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who is willing to give a solid, honest answer, please give this question some thought and post a reply. I would like to know opinions, thoughts, general ideas of why anyone wants to become a doctor? Specifically, why a DO?

Well, here is my answer....mind you, I have been thinking about this for 4 years. First, with the increasing socio-economic divide and lack of healthcare education and knowledge in today's ghettos, low-income cities, and impoverished ethnic groups, I believe that general practitioners are in great need to exude leadership, mentorship, and sound medical advice, in regular terms, to the community. Moreover, because I am a product of the inner-city and have had a rather colorful, and oft times dangeerous, I feel that I have the credible "street" credentials to relate to those that continue to live in those types of environments either by choice, habit, or lack of options.

Secondly, there has been a recent reemergence of bacteria resisitent pathogens in America and worldwide that stems from the improper use of antibiotics. Some day, this epidemic may evolve into a pandemic. By practicing general medicine, I would like to focus on preventitive medicine to curtail issues that may cause extremely powerful resistent pathogens. This tactic of preventitive method will also work for environmental stimulated diseases: alcoholism, depression etc.

Last, financial and career stability. Although I know I will not obtain a mass amount of wealth in general medicine, I will be able to support a family, balance work and life with hobbies and career progression, and allow career progression horizontally and vertically without changing career industries.

This is my summation of why I want to be a doctor. Comment is welcome from all as well as your answer.

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. Nothing else excites me or gets me passionate enough to want to do it for the rest of my life.

Why DO? I will answer that when I have a lot more time to spare.