Why do you love being a minority?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiley2012

One month...omg!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:love:Hey guys! We need to liven up this thread and share the good things in our life! I thought it would be nice to share your randomn thoughts about your culture. We've heard a lot about the negatives regarding people wanting to make us feel inferior as future physicians, but hopefully you have more positive experiences to share.

I love being hispanic because it's like living in a different world! My family is very tight knit, very affectionate and supportive. I love all the colorful spanish phrases they use to relate a funny story, the exagerations they use when telling a simple story, the FOOD and the belief that everything can be made better with a good plate of it, the belief that everything can be cured with Vicks, all of their beliefs, how they believe in me even when I don't (and how they're usually right), how the eldely are shown respect, how they're always able to have fun, no matter what the setting, how they're willing to work hard (despite immigration, legal, or salary issues) to support their families....

Members don't see this ad.

Besides being followed whenever I walk into Sephora's? :)

Honestly, I like the livelyness (is that a word) that minorities and blacks specifically bring into the world. Yeah, I'm embarrased sometimes when we get loud :), but with that comes amazing music, creativity, rhythm, faith in God, etc. Being of a jamaican/grenadean background, I love the food and the language. Whenever I come home to MD my grandma has curry chicken, rice & peas, sorrel, etc. waiting for me.

I really love how every time I move to a new city, I always have someone's house to go to for the Jewish holidays. That person might be a complete stranger. But as soon as they hear that I am Jewish and that no, I can't make it home for Passover or Yom Kippur, that's all it takes. Also, I am constantly amazed at how much Jews from different places have in common. Here's a perfect example: a few weeks ago, I was talking to a Jewish patient in clinic. He was telling me that he was going out on Christmas with his friends for dinner. Where? A Chinese restaurant, of course. I started laughing, because that's exactly what my family does. So did the other medical student and the physician who were in the room with us, both of whom were also Jewish. All four of us barely knew each other and we all came from different states, but there are just these certain commonalities that you automatically have with other Jews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am British and Jamaican. I love my father's culture (language, island and food) and I love that my Mum made sure we were educated under the English system here in the United States. I don't care much for traditional English food. I love walking between the two cultures and I love hanging out in Ocho Rios every chance I get.

My medical school was quite diverse and I enjoyed everyone's culture. To this day, my favorite ethnic food is probably Vietnamese with Ethiopian cuisine being a close second. If I hadn't had Vietnamese classmates and Ethiopian classmates who were willing to share, I would have missed out on some great culture. I love authentic Mexican too.

I like the culture, the music, the food, the humor and the energy. It also helps with getting women. Black is beautiful.

What I like about the Philippines is that the culture is such a mix due to its history... Spanish, Chinese, Indigenous, Muslim, so you get a lot a variety. Though I'm mixed, I can fit right in because the people there are as mixed as the cultures that make up the country, and people have so many different looks. Some of my family members are really pale, while I have uncles who are 100% Filipino but are darker than I am. I also like that many people speak at least some English and I can get by without knowing Tagalog :p

What I like about being mixed is watching people trying to guess what I am, and listening to the wide variety of guesses. I like being able to "pass" for many ethnicities depending on what I do with my hair, being exposed to different cultures just in my own home, and the open-mindedness that results. I also just like being "different" from everyone else... there aren't too many people like me around!

What I like about the Philippines is that the culture is such a mix due to its history... Spanish, Chinese, Indigenous, Muslim, so you get a lot a variety. Though I'm mixed, I can fit right in because the people there are as mixed as the cultures that make up the country, and people have so many different looks. Some of my family members are really pale, while I have uncles who are 100% Filipino but are darker than I am. I also like that many people speak at least some English and I can get by without knowing Tagalog :p

What I like about being mixed is watching people trying to guess what I am, and listening to the wide variety of guesses. I like being able to "pass" for many ethnicities depending on what I do with my hair, being exposed to different cultures just in my own home, and the open-mindedness that results. I also just like being "different" from everyone else... there aren't too many people like me around!
My ex-girlfriend was half black and philipino. So is my best friend. They used to hook me up with crazy amounts of pancit. *Sigh* the good ole days.

My ex-girlfriend was half black and philipino. So is my best friend. They used to hook me up with crazy amounts of pancit. *Sigh* the good ole days.

Yeah, there are definitely more black/filipinos out on the west coast than on the east coast. haha, gotta love pancit!

First off, i want to thank you for starting this thread. Lately it's been really hard for me to focus on the positives in life, and reading through these helped me to step back and do that.

But really, just taking a look at this forum compared to pre-allo reminds me about what i love about being a minority. Everyone else seems to be tearing each other down to feel better about themselves. Any small weakness they latch onto and try to tear you down. Here it just feels like we can be our happy, self-confident selves without being told it's wrong

i am mixed. i love my mother (white), but every time i go home the first thing she comments on is my wieght. I'm getting too fat, we should diet together, let's go to the gym first thing in the morning, blah blah blah. Now, i work out about five days a week, and of course i'm not happy being as chubby as i've gotten. But i most certainly don't need to be reminded every second that i'm visiting. When i go to my black and latino friends' houses, their parents ask me if i've been eating, tell me i'm getting too thin, tell me how beautiful i am, and are overall just so much more positive.

we have such a desire to see each other succeed. and i'm envious of so many of you because of your confidence that seems to be inherent in successful minorities.

First off, i want to thank you for starting this thread. Lately it's been really hard for me to focus on the positives in life, and reading through these helped me to step back and do that.

But really, just taking a look at this forum compared to pre-allo reminds me about what i love about being a minority. Everyone else seems to be tearing each other down to feel better about themselves. Any small weakness they latch onto and try to tear you down. Here it just feels like we can be our happy, self-confident selves without being told it's wrong

i am mixed. i love my mother (white), but every time i go home the first thing she comments on is my wieght. I'm getting too fat, we should diet together, let's go to the gym first thing in the morning, blah blah blah. Now, i work out about five days a week, and of course i'm not happy being as chubby as i've gotten. But i most certainly don't need to be reminded every second that i'm visiting. When i go to my black and latino friends' houses, their parents ask me if i've been eating, tell me i'm getting too thin, tell me how beautiful i am, and are overall just so much more positive.

we have such a desire to see each other succeed. and i'm envious of so many of you because of your confidence that seems to be inherent in successful minorities.

I can certainly identify with the weight issue. I was "Buff" with a capital "B" when I started medical school. I was running and pumping iron regularly. I proceeded to sit and "study my brains out" supplemented with Mountain Dew and Nacho Cheese Doritos. I ended up gaining 85 pounds of fat during my four years of medical school. I carried that weight through my surgery residency and now I am getting rid of it. I am now back in shape, back to pumping iron and feeling great. I haven't totally lost all of the weight that I put on but my strength is there and the discipline/stress reduction of having a regular workout are wonderful.

I am 5'8" and will never be tiny but I can't believe how I was able to carry that much weight for six years of residency and into fellowship. I don't miss a workout now. The weights are so good for keeping my stress level down. I am just too mellow. My energy level has multiplied exponentially (I was pretty energetic before but now most people can't keep up). One the cardiologists thought it would be funny to run 12 floors worth of steps with his residents. I passed all of them at the fifth floor mark and him too. :laugh: He has new-found respect for this surgeon and I was sitting on the top step waiting for them.

I always advice people to get in shape the summer before medical school and stay in shape. I have good grades but I also have about 25 more pounds to lose too. It doesn't matter if you are "chubby" as long as you are in good condition. It just makes everything in your live run smoother.

When i go to my black and latino friends' houses, their parents ask me if i've been eating, tell me i'm getting too thin, tell me how beautiful i am, and are overall just so much more positive.

Lol, I definitely understand. If my grandma can't pinch anything, see gets worried. Unfortunately medical school is providing more and more fat for her to pinch which is why I'm making it my "new years resolution :)" to lift weights consistently, and play basketball when I have time.

I personally love the food the most. My entire family is from the Caribbean (I was born in the US) so home cooking was always on point! When I went away to college, I was so sad and I hated all the food in the dining hall (and I still managed to gain weight!). Now that I'm back home, I'm trying to loose weight but finding it next to impossible with all this great food everywhere!

Very nice thread going here. So many similar stories.

Members don't see this ad :)

Honestly, I like the livelyness (is that a word) that minorities and blacks specifically bring into the world. Yeah, I'm embarrased sometimes when we get loud :), but with that comes amazing music, creativity, rhythm, faith in God, etc. Being of a jamaican/grenadean background, I love the food and the language. Whenever I come home to MD my grandma has curry chicken, rice & peas, sorrel, etc. waiting for me.

lol i can definately second that on the Loudness lol

As stereotypical as this may be, I <3 soul food. I can't get enough of good ribs. Many more things, too. But ribs...:love:

hiya...

wow what an amazing thread...:)...

i looove the food the most...ummmm...my family is from down south... so everything we eat is horrible for you...i fry everything, i put butter in everything... i loove sweets... every time i go home...my nana makes me my own pan of dressing...completely to my self...corn bread dressing.... yummy

i am making mac and cheese for the er staff on x-mas..and i warned all the ppl it won't be healthy at all... i know its hyprocrtical and i advocate working out and eating right...but i think anything in moderation is okay!

i love and appreciate the respect we have for the elders...my nana still lives in a rough part of bklyn but the toughest guys still call her ma'am...and they help her with her groceries and just knock on the door to say hello to her...

...and my family is always trying to feed me... i am 5'1 and 3/4 inches:) and i weigh about 105-110...everyone else in my family is alot larger:) so i loove going home or to visit because ppl are always trying to feed me...

...and the faith that god is always protecting us...we can have the most horrific things happen and my nana is awake every morning at 6 am praying for the entire family...and the strength that i assume just comes along with being a black woman...

and i know it sounds silly but i love all the different things i can do with my hair!! afro puffs, natural, straight, curly, weaves, braids...

merry-xmas and happy holidays to everyone!!

hiya...

i am making mac and cheese for the er staff on x-mas..and i warned all the ppl it won't be healthy at all... i know its hyprocrtical and i advocate working out and eating right...but i think anything in moderation is okay!

merry-xmas and happy holidays to everyone!!

Are we talking mac and cheese with eggs in it, or the other kind?
I'm from Louisiana, so if it doesn't have eggs in it, (and real butter, cheese, cream, etc.:D) its not mac and cheese. Talk about rub it on your chest because its going straight to your heart anyways. oooh weee!

I'm from Louisiana, so if it doesn't have eggs in it, (and real butter, cheese, cream, etc.:D) its not mac and cheese. Talk about rub it on your chest because its going straight to your heart anyways. oooh weee!
Yeah man, I know what you're talking about. My grandparents are from Louisiana and I've been so spoiled by the real thing that any other mac and cheese just upsets me.

I agree, this is a very good thread!!!

I love the fact that no matter how bad things get, my family is always there for me. I have to admit, I LOVE the food!! I actually love being able to prove people wrong who tend to underestimate my abilities and intelligence because I am a black woman who didn't come from the best situations.

I just love being me!!!!

I'm half black and half korean, so I'm lucky in that I get to experience two different cultures. Like the rest of you, I really enjoy the food too. I'm down in the south and love southern cooking, but I also get to eat a lot of korean cuisine also. A lot of time I end up eating a combination of the two. Fried pork chops, rice, and kimchi. Yum! :p

My family is Haitian, Cuban, and French and I cannot go a day without rice and beans. Every holiday must include some sort of rice and beans dish or else it just wouldn't be the same.

Yeah man, I know what you're talking about. My grandparents are from Louisiana and I've been so spoiled by the real thing that any other mac and cheese just upsets me.

What kind of mac and cheese doesn't have eggs in it???:D My Mum always says, "If you are going to sin, sin between satin sheets and enjoy it".

I'm half black and half korean, so I'm lucky in that I get to experience two different cultures. Like the rest of you, I really enjoy the food too. I'm down in the south and love southern cooking, but I also get to eat a lot of korean cuisine also. A lot of time I end up eating a combination of the two. Fried pork chops, rice, and kimchi. Yum! :p

I love kimchi and bibumbap (spicy red sauce). I also love something called chopchee bap (glass noodles and spicy brown sauce) too. When I was a graduate student, one of my professors (who was born in Korea) used to bring in these dishes and I loved them. She was an excellent cook. I could eat kimchi on anything. She often combined Korean with TexMex. Anything that she made with noodles was great.

Don't you just love threads that talk about food?? Good stuff!! I love great ribs too. I like my ribs dry with sauce on the side and plenty of smoke.

Forreal LovelyMD, I'm about to hop down the block to my best friends house (who is Dominican) and will be celebrating Christmas Eve with a feast! Yum...

Speaking of food, I went to a BBQ today with some neighbors of mine and I was a bit let down. Don't get me wrong, the people were fun, the atmosphere was cool but the grill only had hot dogs and hamburgers. And I dunno, but I really don't consider it a BBQ unless there are chicken, ribs and mac and cheese. Hot dogs and hamburgers just don't cut it for me.

Speaking of food, I went to a BBQ today with some neighbors of mine and I was a bit let down. Don't get me wrong, the people were fun, the atmosphere was cool but the grill only had hot dogs and hamburgers. And I dunno, but I really don't consider it a BBQ unless there are chicken, ribs and mac and cheese. Hot dogs and hamburgers just don't cut it for me.

My Mum would say that you went to a "cook-out" or a "grilling" and not a BBQ. I am with you on this one. I like my ribs smoked with a nice crust of smoke that you can see when you bite into the meat and you can smell when they hit the plate. Yummmm!:thumbup:

I'm not an URM, but still a minority so I will contribute :)

I think its so funny that Korean parents get stereotyped as being super strict, but watch out at family gatherings. Its pretty embarrassing how loud they can get! Also Korean food is super duper awesome (though I really like food from most other cultures). I really like the emphasis on family and being selfless for the betterment of the whole group. Also, I definitely like the respect and autonomy that elders have. My grandmother was doing everything for herself up until the very last weeks of her life.

I like being able to go back to the Caribbean and NOT being considered a minority :)

I also like being able to speak in Caribbean languages and accents. There's something warm and fuzzy about chatting on the phone with a good friend and not having to speak "accepted standard English"

and why is there eggs in your macaroni? I guess that's one of the differences between "mac n' cheese" and "macaroni pie". Macaroni pie with onions, garlic, black pepper, Bajan hot sauce, mustard, ketchup... served beside some freshly fried fish or curry goat!

I like living 2 realities

Lys

I like being able to go back to the Caribbean and NOT being considered a minority :)

I also like being able to speak in Caribbean languages and accents. There's something warm and fuzzy about chatting on the phone with a good friend and not having to speak "accepted standard English"

and why is there eggs in your macaroni? I guess that's one of the differences between "mac n' cheese" and "macaroni pie". Macaroni pie with onions, garlic, black pepper, Bajan hot sauce, mustard, ketchup... served beside some freshly fried fish or curry goat!

Lys

Macaroni pie? The stuff I was talking about is called baked macaroni. Is the cheese layered in between the pasta in macaroni pie?
We do ours with stuffed milliton and a nice jambalaya on the side

Lys

I soooooo feel you on the accent thing. I'm Nigerian (Naija girl in the house! :D) and there are certain phrases that you absolutely cannot say with an English accent. The feeling just isn't there lol...

Other things I love... the dancing for one (though it may sound stereotypical). I dunno we are just one with the music haha. Where my family is from in Nigeria, we are known for being naturally great dancers. Even though I was born here, I can still get down with the best ;). I also love the richness and beauty of our culture. For example, I'm definitely having two weddings--one in the US and a traditional Nigerian wedding. It is such a beautiful ceremony.

Another thing about being a minority that I love is that the mentality is not as individualistic as it is in other communities. We help each other out when we can and I think that's why the environment in this paticular area of sdn is much more inviting...

Lys

:D...of course there are eggs in baked macaroni...but i have had macaroni pie before...my roomates in college were all from the carribean and mac pie is awesome!!!! i remember thinking it was going to be macaroni with some kind of pie crust before i had it:laugh:...but it was sooo good..
uh oh... i read this thread again and now i am hungry..i had sushi for dinner while tasty...it wasn't very filling:)

Macaroni pie with onions, garlic, black pepper, Bajan hot sauce, mustard, ketchup... served beside some freshly fried fish or curry goat!

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT. You just made me real hungry lol...especially cause I have enough Bajan hot sauce at my spot to last like 3 years! Its a lot harder to get here than NY...

I feel ya on that one DoctaJay....I cant explain it, but being Caribbean/African American does add a certain excitement to life at times...and there's nothing better than Jamaican food :D

i like being black because chicks dig it!

I can certainly identify with the weight issue. I was "Buff" with a capital "B" when I started medical school. I was running and pumping iron regularly. I proceeded to sit and "study my brains out" supplemented with Mountain Dew and Nacho Cheese Doritos. I ended up gaining 85 pounds of fat during my four years of medical school. I carried that weight through my surgery residency and now I am getting rid of it. I am now back in shape, back to pumping iron and feeling great. I haven't totally lost all of the weight that I put on but my strength is there and the discipline/stress reduction of having a regular workout are wonderful.

I am 5'8" and will never be tiny but I can't believe how I was able to carry that much weight for six years of residency and into fellowship. I don't miss a workout now. The weights are so good for keeping my stress level down. I am just too mellow. My energy level has multiplied exponentially (I was pretty energetic before but now most people can't keep up). One the cardiologists thought it would be funny to run 12 floors worth of steps with his residents. I passed all of them at the fifth floor mark and him too. :laugh: He has new-found respect for this surgeon and I was sitting on the top step waiting for them.

I always advice people to get in shape the summer before medical school and stay in shape. I have good grades but I also have about 25 more pounds to lose too. It doesn't matter if you are "chubby" as long as you are in good condition. It just makes everything in your live run smoother.

How do you manage a good workout program in medical school?
Gaining weight in medical school is probably one of my biggest fears.

I'm Korean so in some areas I may be considered as a minority and in some regions I wouldn't be. For instance, I'm going to med school here down in the south so here, I'd be sort of a minority ... or at least not thought of as Korean hehe. =P

But yeah, this is one awesome thread!!

I love being a minority because I love Korean food (cannot live without kimchi) which I can say is made by my people, love how my family is so close with one another, and how we all have respect for our elders. Sure, there are times when Koreans can stereotype, be superficial, and whatnot but in the end, I'm glad that I have some kind of ethnic roots to identify with and be proud of.

I honestly hate the the word "minority" as if to imply that you are a deviation from the norm and therefore not the standard, or up to parr.
BUT I do love having an abundance of melanin and I love my people and our history :), but I really do hate that word.

I honestly hate the the word "minority" as if to imply that you are a deviation from the norm and therefore not the standard, or up to parr.
BUT I do love having an abundance of melanin and I love my people and our history :), but I really do hate that word.

What would term would you prefer to be used? I think you are taking some leaps in your logic.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT. You just made me real hungry lol...especially cause I have enough Bajan hot sauce at my spot to last like 3 years! Its a lot harder to get here than NY...
ohhh, my dad has this Bajan hot sauce that eats through the tin/aluminum cap (so he has to change it every so often), it's hot as alll get out but it's good too! Especially in a cucumber salad! (yummy). I too like the food aspect, but sin ce my dad's family is from Barbados, and my mom's family is from the south I always had a good mix of food. My grandparents aren't alive anymore so we do our best to keep the biscuits, pork chops, and chick flowin..but my dad's side cooks way more, so I get my dose of ox tails etc. actually New Years day I went to my uncles house for the tradition of having pork for good luck for the year...we'll see if it works, but either way it was gr8!
I also like being different, not different abnormal, but just not like the rest different (if that make sense). I also love my history, and the fact that even within my race/ethnicity there are different cultures and nuances...like I have NEVER had or heard of eggs in mac and cheese (yuckie!) But that's just me. ;)

I grew up in the Caribbean, where Blacks are a larger minority (33%). When I went home this past Christmas, it was nice not being in the minority :). I think I forgot how that felt. One time in high school, we skipped classes and went to the city. We were sitting in a fast food place,My friend looks around and then whispers in awe "I see white people". Oh my how things have changed.

I like this thread!! (where have I been all this time?? lol) I love being a minority (of caribbean descent) mostly because of the food and music! Give me some akee and saltfish along with some nice riddims and I'm good to go.

ohhh, my dad has this Bajan hot sauce that eats through the tin/aluminum cap (so he has to change it every so often), it's hot as alll get out but it's good too! Especially in a cucumber salad! (yummy). I too like the food aspect, but sin ce my dad's family is from Barbados, and my mom's family is from the south I always had a good mix of food. My grandparents aren't alive anymore so we do our best to keep the biscuits, pork chops, and chick flowin..but my dad's side cooks way more, so I get my dose of ox tails etc. actually New Years day I went to my uncles house for the tradition of having pork for good luck for the year...we'll see if it works, but either way it was gr8!
I also like being different, not different abnormal, but just not like the rest different (if that make sense). I also love my history, and the fact that even within my race/ethnicity there are different cultures and nuances...like I have NEVER had or heard of eggs in mac and cheese (yuckie!) But that's just me. ;)

I'm not mad at ya. I guess it's just one of those different culture things. But, the people that have had it know what it's like. It's kinda like a solid block of cheesy goodness.
Truth74

I like this thread!! (where have I been all this time?? lol) I love being a minority (of caribbean descent) mostly because of the food and music! Give me some akee and saltfish along with some nice riddims and I'm good to go.

I like akee and saltfish, but I can't eat it too often because I'm too impatient...it takes forever to chew :).

How do you manage a good workout program in medical school?
Gaining weight in medical school is probably one of my biggest fears.

Just a short detour (hijack) here:

I made time for my workouts. My workout could be walking the stairs a couple of times between classes to "clear my head" or heading to the gym for a game of pick-up ball for a couple of hours. I would park my car far from grocery stores and pack my groceries the distance. I also got off the bus a couple of stops early and walked the distance briskly. Those were my short cuts.

I made time early on Saturday mornings to hit the gym and lift a bit of weights. I did gain weight in medical school but I would have gained far more if I had not done some workouts. My weight gain was mostly from poor diet. There was something about studying in a group that led to "high fat food".

I didn't have time for 2-hour workouts but I could usually get to the gym on Saturdays and Sundays or do some physical activity with my studymates.

When I got to the end of my residency (assistant chief and chief years), I really put together a solid workout plan. I dragged myself to the gym (even post call) and did something. I also watch my diet pretty carefully and stay away from the fast food/high fat stuff. I keep plenty of fresh vegetables around and no junk food.

I enjoy a swim once or twice a week and appreciate the benefit of 30-minute runs or brisk walks. I just feel better and stress is much better. I am working on progressing in my weight training as I want to keep my bones and muscles strong. My med school weight is leaving at last!

Just a short detour (hijack) here:

I made time for my workouts. My workout could be walking the stairs a couple of times between classes to "clear my head" or heading to the gym for a game of pick-up ball for a couple of hours. I would park my car far from grocery stores and pack my groceries the distance. I also got off the bus a couple of stops early and walked the distance briskly. Those were my short cuts.

I made time early on Saturday mornings to hit the gym and lift a bit of weights. I did gain weight in medical school but I would have gained far more if I had not done some workouts. My weight gain was mostly from poor diet. There was something about studying in a group that led to "high fat food".

I didn't have time for 2-hour workouts but I could usually get to the gym on Saturdays and Sundays or do some physical activity with my studymates.

When I got to the end of my residency (assistant chief and chief years), I really put together a solid workout plan. I dragged myself to the gym (even post call) and did something. I also watch my diet pretty carefully and stay away from the fast food/high fat stuff. I keep plenty of fresh vegetables around and no junk food.

I enjoy a swim once or twice a week and appreciate the benefit of 30-minute runs or brisk walks. I just feel better and stress is much better. I am working on progressing in my weight training as I want to keep my bones and muscles strong. My med school weight is leaving at last!

Awesome....and thanks for the reply!
I know for sure that I am going to have to alter my workout schedule so that I am not spending crazy hours in the gym 5 days out of the week. What you typed gives me hope that once I get into peak, GQ shape (LOL), I'll be able to maintain it as long as I stick to a strict diet (with healthy snacks of course and the occasional splurge) and get some intense physical activity.

I just wanted to say that I enjoy being half Persian and half Cheyenne. I get to enjoy chelo kebab AND frybread. Mostly, though, I just really dig listening to my elders and hearing about the old ways. It's unfortunately a world that I'll never get to see.

I just wanted to say that I enjoy being half Persian and half Cheyenne. I get to enjoy chelo kebab AND frybread. Mostly, though, I just really dig listening to my elders and hearing about the old ways. It's unfortunately a world that I'll never get to see.

Now I have something else to look out for and try. Chelo kebab sounds like something tasty and I already know about frybread. Yum!!

My family is from Korea as well. First thing I must mention is, of course, FOOD! Although I'm not the biggest fan of Kimchi like most koreans, I can always rely on hae jang gook (spicy soup) for a hangover :D Not to mention how family-oriented people are. It's just a nice comfort knowing your family supports and loves you unconditionally. I still get amazed at how nice my mom is to me. I know that sounds kinda weird, but I feel really blessed to have a mom like her.

Last thing I must mentioned about my culture is how koreans get for sports (worldcup, olympics) especially when we compete against Japan. It's really funny. People drop everything that they are doing, and root for korean teams like there's no tomorrow. TOo bad I missed out on the worldcup in Korea back in 2002.:(

i love how everyone gets so personal..talkin about what your nana made, how latinos always respect their elderly..how Korean parents can be really loud and embarrassing.

Let me add my 2 cents: My family enjoys laughing at bad jokes and laughing for no reason, My parents know how to make amazing Indian food. And i know how to eat it.

It all comes to show how we are all human. The race thing has a debilitating psychological effect, and this can be fought with just realizing how much everyone is human. Even the most racist person u kno is a person.

Last edited: