Why do we need to be willing to relocate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentMama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just have a quick question. Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I have seen many people on this forum state that there are plenty of audiology jobs as long as you are willing to relocate? I don't understand that. If there are a lot of job openings in a particular field, why would you have to move to get a job? Are there only lots of jobs in certain geographical areas? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

There are openings in the sense that the job field isn't saturated percentage wise. The demand for audiologists, however, is not widely dispersed. In the rural county where I grew up, a nurse could get a job fairly easily relative to an audiologist because the need for numbers is there. There are under 15k audiologists in the country compared to something like 3mill RN's alone. You could make the same comparison with other health professions to a lesser extent. The demand for hearing related services aren't as high on the priority list (despite the increasing millions with hearing loss). That's why job openings are specific to certain areas. I would guess that is a small part of the reason why there is a push by some to steer audiologists towards private practice (aka owning the profession).

yes it's exactly because it's a small field. yes there are jobs but there's not a whole lot of jobs in any one place. you can probably find a job in any metropolitan area, but if you are selective about the setting or specialty you want, you may have to move.

a friend of mine is limited to one region due to her spouse's work, and she's had to pass up great offers in other cities. it's taking her longer to land her dream job, but she's determined and i think she'll get it eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks. That makes sense. I'm a military spouse so no matter what field I'm in, it's going to be hard to build a career because we have no choice in where we live and when we will move. That's why I was considering going into SLP instead, because it seems to be a lot easier to get a job and there is such a shortage that a lot of employers don't care if you might be moving in 2 or 3 years. GRR...Where is the neon sign telling me what to do with my life?!

StudentMama, which branch of the military? There are military audiologists. From everything I've read and heard, it's a tough deal to pass up.

Al, come down south. You will find your calling in Arkie.

did this just become a thread where we gripe about how we don't know what we're doing with our lives? cause sign me up for that. :)