Why do some surgeons do MPH ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abandoned_self

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many surgeons do MPH - during/after/before their residency . I'm just curious to know how helpful is it ? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

abandoned_self said:
Many surgeons do MPH - during/after/before their residency . I'm just curious to know how helpful is it ? :confused:

I'm working on an MPH now. It really depends on your interests. Some surgeons in my program are doing strictly to learn research methods, some more interested in policy. I would only do it if it is something you feel you need to. That being said, I've had a blast this year and I'm glad I did it.

Complications said:
I'm working on an MPH now. It really depends on your interests. Some surgeons in my program are doing strictly to learn research methods, some more interested in policy. I would only do it if it is something you feel you need to. That being said, I've had a blast this year and I'm glad I did it.

I wonder, is doing an MPH as a distance learning degree still just as good? I never really considered doing this to get into GSurg, but if I happen to get in, I might work on something like this, hoping to help me learn more about research and publications, and to be more competitive for a fellowship later on.

Anyone you know do it this way? Do any of you think an 'online' MPH would still be considered a useful addendum to someone applying for a fellowship? I know it's just speculation, but that's all I'm asking for. I'm just an MS4, so I'll HOPEFULLY be able to match into GS in 2007... we'll see...

Members don't see this ad :)
tRmedic21 said:
I wonder, is doing an MPH as a distance learning degree still just as good? I never really considered doing this to get into GSurg, but if I happen to get in, I might work on something like this, hoping to help me learn more about research and publications, and to be more competitive for a fellowship later on.

Anyone you know do it this way? Do any of you think an 'online' MPH would still be considered a useful addendum to someone applying for a fellowship? I know it's just speculation, but that's all I'm asking for. I'm just an MS4, so I'll HOPEFULLY be able to match into GS in 2007... we'll see...

Hopkins has an online program ... it's longer. In general I think it's a bad idea to do it distance learning during residency ... if you had to do it that way than you probably don't need to do it. That's just my opinion.

I am just finishing my MD/MPH program (defend my thesis tomorrow am!) and will be a categorical GS intern at Northwestern next year. My med school offered the combined degree with a required concentration in biostatistics and epidemiology. This was very helpful as it actually gave me "skills": I can analyze clinical data now and will feel very comfortable designing my own outcome studies my research years. Obviously, we also had a required thesis, which is essentially like preparing a manuscript for publishing. So, for those interested in clinical research, it's great. I don't think you can get the same rigor out of it as a distance program, much less during residency (i.e. it won't get done). Better to take a year out and do it during your research year(s). That being said, I think it was looked upon very favorably on the interview trail (I was a bit worried). :)