Why do schools accept DAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teambringit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't like the fact that some POD schools give applicants the option to take the DAT instead of the MCAT. Just my thoughts. You don't see MD or DO schools allowing this to happen. Why should some pod schools allow it?

Members don't see this ad.

Only one of the schools still takes DAT and I'm pretty sure that is getting phased out. However, some of the best students in our class only took DAT, so it obviously isn't that big of a deal

It is no secret that many people end up in pod school as an alternative option because plan A didn't work out. As long as the applicant is strong and shows promise and a commitment to the profession, I don't think taking a different test is that big of a deal. Once first year starts, nothing anyone did before they got to school matters.

I'm sorry that you are so affected by it though

Reactions: 1 user
Only one of the schools still takes DAT and I'm pretty sure that is getting phased out. However, some of the best students in our class only took DAT, so it obviously isn't that big of a deal

It is no secret that many people end up in pod school as an alternative option because plan A didn't work out. As long as the applicant is strong and shows promise and a commitment to the profession, I don't think taking a different test is that big of a deal. Once first year starts, nothing anyone did before they got to school matters.

I'm sorry that you are so affected by it though
Oh yes I'm so devastated. I bet you took the DAT

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't make much sense accepting the DAT. I agree with OP.

These DAT students need to take the MCAT and do a terrible job on it like everyone else. Do they think they're better than their classmates or something?!