Why do research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tartrate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a resident, what's the point? Then as a fellow, what's the point? This question is directed at people who have nonacademic careers in mind and dislike doing research, which I would assume comprise the majority or at least a significant portion of physicians. In light of this, I really don't get the constant drive to do research besides making your CV look pretty. It seems many people do research in residency/fellowship then suddenly abort everything (or the vast majority of it) as they start their practice as an attending.

So as a resident, is it really just resume building for jobs/fellowship applications? Then as a fellow, is it just part of your job description/further boosting your resume?

I see plenty of other ways to engage the mind, learn, and be involved with the medical community besides the endless work of collecting and analyzing data, juggling difficult personalities, and compiling journal articles. And besides, I think most would acknowledge that residency itself takes away enough of your time during some of the most precious years of your life.

I don't mean to antagonize anyone, but would like to see what the hivemind thinks about this or how to rationalize it to make research efforts more palatable during this training period.

Members don't see this ad.

As a resident, what's the point? Then as a fellow, what's the point? This question is directed at people who have nonacademic careers in mind and dislike doing research, which I would assume comprise the majority or at least a significant portion of physicians. In light of this, I really don't get the constant drive to do research besides making your CV look pretty. It seems many people do research in residency/fellowship then suddenly abort everything (or the vast majority of it) as they start their practice as an attending.

So as a resident, is it really just resume building for jobs/fellowship applications? Then as a fellow, is it just part of your job description/further boosting your resume?

I see plenty of other ways to engage the mind, learn, and be involved with the medical community besides the endless work of collecting and analyzing data, juggling difficult personalities, and compiling journal articles. And besides, I think most would acknowledge that residency itself takes away enough of your time during some of the most precious years of your life.

I don't mean to antagonize anyone, but would like to see what the hivemind thinks about this or how to rationalize it to make research efforts more palatable during this training period.

It keeps doors open, you might decide you want an academic job or fellowship down the line. It does pad your CV and good private practice jobs do see it as a mark in your favor when hiring you. It's protection withing residency: the resident who produces research is more likely to get the PD's support when they're under the microscope. For fellows in particular it is arguably part of the job you are hired to do. It's a kind of mental exercise, forcing you to analyze journal articles in a depth that you might other not. Finally it is an end unto itself: when you get into this profession, you realize how much of what we are doing is based on nothing at all, and even small contributions to our knowledge base can save lives or dollars.

Reactions: 4 users
need research to obtain fellowship, b/c youre expected to produce scholarly work in fellowship. theres a push towards research overall to help advance the field of medicine and improve outcomes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the side of the OP here. I have ZERO intention of doing research as an attending. I went into medicine to be a physician and surgeon and fix people, period. Not to be a researcher. Other people can have an interest in it and study this or that and its efficacy or whatever, and I'm glad there are people that like to do that. But for a large chunk of people doing stuff in residency just because they're supposed to, I'd argue the research they perform is mostly filler and doesn't have much impact on anything.

I'm on the side of the OP here. I have ZERO intention of doing research as an attending. I went into medicine to be a physician and surgeon and fix people, period. Not to be a researcher. Other people can have an interest in it and study this or that and its efficacy or whatever, and I'm glad there are people that like to do that. But for a large chunk of people doing stuff in residency just because they're supposed to, I'd argue the research they perform is mostly filler and doesn't have much impact on anything.
I agree. Research requirements are so pointless as a resident or fellow. Most of the "research" done is pointless or just rehashing something already out there. If you have an interest that is great, but it shouldn't be required if you know you don't want academics. I couldn't stand doing research. My Non-academic job is so nice.

I think a basic understanding of how to interpret medical literature is much more important than performing research. Considering that we are suppose to be practicing evidence based medicine, it's kind of important to be able to be critical of the literature that is directing clinical decisions. Not many physicians perform research...but all should know how to dissect an article.

Reactions: 1 user