Why do people recommend PA to medical students and premeds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mr.applesauce

Why do people recommend physicians assistant to premeds who don't get into medical school or to medical students who fail out of medical school? Isn't PA school just as hard to get accepted into, and it's PA just as difficult as medical school? I figured physician assistant schools are just filled with medical school quality students who didn't want to invest 7+ years of their lives and crazy student loans to train for a job.

Am I wrong here?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a med student, but an M0 that had PA as a plan B to shoot for. I can tell you that my reasoning was that PA school is still a very competitive and successful career, but not quite as competitive as medical school. For example, my state has 1 MD and 1 DO programs, and 3 PA programs. Just based off number of applicants and acceptances, it’s not as competitive, although from reading it seems that PA programs want to see full time health care employment. PA programs also don’t require the MCAT, which is often times the last remaining hurdle for solid pre-meds. Research is also not a pseudo-requirement like at many MD schools.

I feel like I was actually more qualified for medical school than I was for PA school due to their requirements for hands-on patient care.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do people recommend physicians assistant to premeds who don't get into medical school or to medical students who fail out of medical school? Isn't PA school just as hard to get accepted into, and it's PA just as difficult as medical school? I figured physician assistant schools are just filled with medical school quality students who didn't want to invest 7+ years of their lives and crazy student loans to train for a job.

Am I wrong here?

Yes you are.

Not sure where you got your information but PA schools are NOT filled with students who could have gotten into medical school and chose not to invest the 7 years of their lives into their career.

Reactions: 13 users
I feel like I was actually more qualified for medical school than I was for PA school due to their requirements for hands-on patient care.

I know 2 med students personally who were pre-PA and and in med school now for this specific reason. They had a great app but didn't have the contact hours or something like that (which they said some HAVE to be paid). Granted they were probably top PA candidates.

PA school is generally a different crew of people who wanted to work in medicine but didn't want to spend forever training. It's a solid choice tbphon

Reactions: 12 users
I know 2 med students personally who were pre-PA and and in med school now for this specific reason. They had a great app but didn't have the contact hours or something like that (which they said some HAVE to be paid). Granted they were probably top PA candidates.
Exactly. Some actually require that it's not only paid, but full-time paid.

Exactly. So when I hear people recommending PA after not getting into med school or failing med school I just kind of roll my eyes. PA school is not much easier at all.

Reactions: 1 users
PA school is generally a different crew of people who wanted to work in medicine but didn't want to spend forever training. It's a solid choice tbphon

This, and the difficulty of getting in and getting through it are about just as hard. Just shorter.

Exactly. So when I hear people recommending PA after not getting into med school or failing med school I just kind of roll my eyes. PA school is not much easier at all.
Big difference between “also hard to get into” and “just as hard to get through”.

Nothing wrong with being a PA, good life. No need to start drawing false comparisons

Reactions: 18 users

Am I wrong here?

I think this is a troll post.

The reality is that there is likely a mix of reasons why someone chooses PA school.

In my experience , it is because they didn’t get into medical school the first time or their grades were too low / didn’t do well on mcat but had plenty of medical experience . This is from my closer friends who went to Pa school. Most people wouldn’t elect to share this as the reason because it makes them look bad.

O and becoming a physician is loads more difficult than becoming a PA ( med school and residency)

Reactions: 9 users
I think this is a troll post.

The reality is that there is likely a mix of reasons why someone chooses PA school.

In my experience , it is because they didn’t get into medical school the first time or their grades were too low / didn’t do well on mcat but had plenty of medical experience . This is from my closer friends who went to Pa school. Most people wouldn’t elect to share this as the reason because it makes them look bad.

O and becoming a physician is loads more difficult than becoming a PA ( med school and residency)
If you are getting into a PA school, its more than likely that you have the resume to get into a DO school. Most of the Pa's I know were young women who didnt want to spend 7+ years training.

Reactions: 3 users

Am I wrong here?

You are definitely wrong.

The caliber of students between PA and med is different to begin with. You can't look at an acceptance rate (%) and claim equivalence. DO and MD schools have similar acceptance rates, but we don't pretend that both are equally hard to get into.

I have no doubt PA students think their curriculum in hard and rigorous, but the reality is that their education pales in comparison to a medical school curriculum. I think many PA students would struggle even more and perform worse if they were dropped into a medical school class. Not saying they have an easy 2 years, but I am saying that those 2 years are definitely easier than 2 years of medical school.

Everyone I know who wants PA either failed to get into medical school, or just didn't want to go through the work of actually becoming a doctor, but still wanted to get to work in healthcare and make good money. If you truly want to practice medicine, you become a doctor, not a PA.

Members don't see this ad :)

Am I wrong here?
It may be just as hard, but it's a different kind of hard.

But once you're in, the training length is shorter, and the amount of material you have to learn may be 25% less than what a medical student needs, at least based upon what I've had to teach to my PA students.

My PA student were very sharp.

So let me get this straight: you think that PA school requiring countless hours of mind-numbing low-level clinical drudgery from its applicants is evidence that PA school is as difficult as medical school? Where is the logical connection between these clinical requirements and the supposed difficulty of PA school? Or is this something that only a PA-caliber intellect can hope to comprehend...lol

I guess I am misinformed then. I was told that it was just as hard to get into PA...

A lot PAs I know are smart enough to go to medical school, but chose PA because they wanted to have kids and start a family (all these PAs are women).

Just because they could've gotten into medical school doesn't mean its just as hard to get in. None of the PAs I know took the MCAT...which is the biggest beast in med school admissions

So let me get this straight: you think that PA school requiring countless hours of mind-numbing low-level clinical drudgery from its applicants is evidence that PA school is as difficult as medical school? Where is the logical connection between these clinical requirements and the supposed difficulty of PA school? Or is this something that only a PA-caliber intellect can hope to comprehend...lol

Unsure if you quoted my post by mistake. I did not touch on the effectiveness of the activity or difficulty of the coursework between the programs (unsure where you drew that conclusion from). I responded to a post about how they admissions competitiveness/decisions may differ based on certain experiences.

Unsure if you quoted my post by mistake. I did not touch on the effectiveness of the activity or difficulty of the coursework between the programs (unsure where you drew that conclusion from). I responded to a post about how they admissions competitiveness/decisions may differ based on certain experiences.

I quoted your post only because it was the necessary context to applesauce's post. He took your statement on clinical requirements for PA school and tried to link it to the supposed difficulty level of PA coursework, which was a complete logical non-sequitur. Unfortunately the SDN quoting functions isn't the best as it doesn't display the full reply tree, so I had to manually quote your post for my own reply to make any sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Many recommend it because being a physician is overrated. Hard to say at the end of the day is it worth it. We often say it does but late at night when we are alone in our thoughts maybe not so much. PA offers the same chance to help others without having to give up so much time and life.

I guess I am misinformed then. I was told that it was just as hard to get into PA...
Bingo... "you were told"...... My rule of thumb is that 99% of what people say is BS. That's why I just smile, remain polite, and quietly dispose of the bulk of advice that I'm given aside from a few credible sources. Even if my sources are knowledgeable, I'll still look up information myself before I feel comfortable claiming it as true.

Reactions: 8 users
MD is definitely harder to get into as far as GPA/MCAT(GRE) go. The line is blurrier if you throw DOs in. PAs also arguably have tougher non-academic requirements (they need a lot more clinical exposure to be considered than we do for example)

You only hear this from PAs. It's a defense mechanism. The fact is MD is >>>> harder to get in than any PA program. PA students will always tell you that you need a lot of patient hours and such, but honestly these hours are not hard to get. Just work 5-6 months as an EMT or NA and your'e good. I know a bunch of people that got in just solely on scribing hours.

MD> DO ~DDS/DMD> PA >>>>> the rest...

The MCAT is what separate MD/DO from these other professions. Most people can get a 3.5+ GPA from a 'podunk' university.

MD> DO ~DDS/DMD> PA >>>>> the rest...

The MCAT is what separate MD/DO from these other professions. Most people can get a 3.5+ GPA from a 'podunk' university.
Look at the link I submitted for Keck pa.their average mcat/gpa is higher than or equivalent to a large number of DO schools.

Last edited:

Am I wrong here?

It can be hard to get accepted to either. I would also argue that almost anyone could get through either schooling and residency, so it really comes down to what you want. You also are not comparing apples to apples Mr applesauce. There is a noticeable difference in training quality and intensity between those two options, as well as lifestyle outcomes and job opportunities at the end of training. It may be more appropriate to compare PA to NP as neither of these completes a formal 3+ year residency following their schooling. If a student feels they are up to par with other medical students and understands the risks and demands of being a physician then they should apply to medical school. There's more to it than years of training and student loans. Of course, nobody would go through with med school if there were no difference in reward, but if all that's on your mind is a secure healthcare job, good income, fewer loans, and less training time PA is the better option and nobody would fault you for choosing it. It is a great pathway for nurses who don't have the 7-10 years to invest.

Just don't be the person who chooses one path and then equalizes and demands the rewards of the other.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had multiple advisors try to talk me into PA school: grades a little low for med school, way less training, still good pay and you get to go home at the end of the day.

Now that I'm a med student, I see many PAs get worked like dogs. There's cush gigs for sure, but a classmate who used to be an EM PA said that you essentially function like a resident your entire life and get treated as such. Also, you don't fully understand what's going on. That sounds awful.

Look at the link I submitted for Keck pa.their average mcat/gpa is higher than or equivalent to a large number of DO schools.

Okay Libertyyne I’ll bite since you decided to single out my school.

1-you chose Keck for a reason. Their stats will not be representative of all PA schools.
2-you’re using 2017 data for Keck and 2014 data for Nova. All programs have creep in stats year to year. Here is the current Nova info: FAQ - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Admissions | NSU
If you actually look at 2017 vs 2017, our stats our higher.
3-Keck even states that a majority of their applicants took the GRE, meaning avg MCAT score is not representative of the group.
4-I personally considered PA to the extent I took the GRE. I know N=1, but my GRE is very significantly greater than Keck’s average, while my MCAT is slightly higher than Nova’s average.

All that said, there is certainly overlap between the 2 groups. But to claim that Keck PA >>> Nova DO is false.

Reactions: 10 users
Okay Libertyyne I’ll bite since you decided to single out my school.

1-you chose Keck for a reason. Their stats will not be representative of all PA schools.
2-you’re using 2017 data for Keck and 2014 data for Nova. All programs have creep in stats year to year. Here is the current Nova info: FAQ - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Admissions | NSU
If you actually look at 2017 vs 2017, our stats our higher.
3-Keck even states that a majority of their applicants took the GRE, meaning avg MCAT score is not representative of the group.
4-I personally considered PA to the extent I took the GRE. I know N=1, but my GRE is very significantly greater than Keck’s average, while my MCAT is slightly higher than Nova’s average.

All that said, there is certainly overlap between the 2 groups. But to claim that Keck PA >>> Nova DO is false.
My argument was merely, that there is overlap in the pools between PA programs and DO's. Nova doesnt even have the lowest mcat average. Saying that PA's are a bunch of people that couldnt get into medical school is obviously not entirely true.

1.And as far as other PA schools there are numerous other PA schools just as competitive as Keck if not more.
2. The 2017 data of 28 average is .6 higher for Nova, the point still stands that Many DO schools have average mcats that are lower or equivalent to PA schools.
3. Sure, but you dont really know what proportion of the class also took an mcat.
4. This exactly makes the point I was making in that there is overlap in the pools,

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
My argument was merely, that there is overlap in the pools between PA programs and DO's. Nova doesnt even have the lowest mcat average. Saying that PA's are a bunch of people that couldnt get into medical school is obviously not entirely true.

1.And as far as other PA schools there are numerous other PA schools just as competitive as Keck if not more.
2. The 2017 data of 28 average is .6 higher for Nova, the point still stands that Many DO schools have average mcats that are lower or equivalent to PA schools.
3. Sure, but you dont really know what proportion of the class also took an mcat.
4. This exactly makes the point I was making in that there is overlap in the pools,

Okay, we agree on that. There is definitely overlap between the pools. PA school’s aren’t filled with students who all couldn’t get into medical school, nor are they filled with students who all could. To that end, they aren’t even filled with students who all wanted to be in medical school.

Why didnt you compare MD and PA programs from the SAME school? Even comparing students that get into the PA program at my DO school, there is a noticeable difference in test scores. Who cares if the pool overlaps? Couldn't any PA student also get into a carib school?

Why didnt you compare MD and PA programs from the SAME school? Even comparing students that get into the PA program at my DO school, there is a noticeable difference in test scores.

Because I wanted to show that there is a portion of people going to PA schools that could have gotten into DO schools. I care because the general tone in this thread has been, " dur dur PAs are too dumb to get into a real medical school". I was just proving that assertion is incorrect. There is a good portion of overlap between PA and DO candidates in terms of Academic Metrics.

Last edited:
Because I wanted to show that there is a portion of people going to PA schools that could have gotten into DO schools. We care because the general tone in this thread has been, " dur dur PAs are too dumb to get into a real medical school". I was just proving that assertion is incorrect. There is a good portion of overlap between PA and DO candidates in terms of Academic Metrics.

Yes, according to a normal distribution, some of the people at DO schools could also have been accepted to a USMD school based only on stats. But as this forum has proved repeatedly, that assertion is meaningless.

Yes, according to a normal distribution, some of the people at DO schools could also have been accepted to a USMD school based only on stats. But as this forum has proved repeatedly, that assertion is meaningless.

Without a doubt there are s0me DO candidates that could have gone to an MD school if they hailed from a different state or applied at a different time. Their outcomes may be different compared to their DO peers too. But most people who go to DO school did not get into an MD school. I dont think I can make the assertion that people going to PA schools wanted to get into DO schools on average.

Last edited:
Without a doubt there are s0me DO candidates that could have gone to an MD school if they hailed from a different state or applied at a different time. Their outcomes may be different compared to their DO peers too. But most people who DO school did not get into an MD school. I dont think I can make the assertion that people going to PA schools wanted to get into DO schools on average.

Cringeworthy post from a premed. Shameful. You need to learn some stats.

lol, bro , Im an M1. and instead of adhoming me maybe make a rational argument.

I'm gonna really blow some people's minds here with this one: There are nurses out there who made 4.0s, are very intelligent, and probably could have gone to MD school had they tried.

Reactions: 22 users
Your argument isn't statistically sound how is that ad hominem?

Calling me a pre-med is an ad hom. Maybe explain how it is not statistically sound.

Calling me a pre-med is an ad hom. Maybe explain how it is not statistically sound.
Your argument certainly sounds like one made by a premed. To show that two groups are similar you need to establish a normal distribution of scores for each group then determine equivalence through inferential statistics. Instead you picked two arbitrary datasets, assumed equivalence and made a subjective inference. You then did the same with two separate groups of medical students.

In the end scores are just one aspect of an application. As I have already stated, many of the PA students at my school's program were encouraged to apply after failing acceptance to our DO school.

Your argument certainly sounds like one made by a premed. To show that two groups are similar you need to establish a normal distribution of scores for each group then determine equivalence through inferential statistics. Instead you picked two arbitrary datasets, assumed equivalence and made a subjective inference. You then did the same with two separate groups of medical students.

In the end scores are just one aspect of an application. As I have already stated, many of the PA students at my school's program were encouraged to apply after failing acceptance to our DO school.

Lol.
1. First you criticize my methods , then you go on to qoute what your school does as the gold standard for PA's. Lol.

I dont need to show equivalence. I just need to show overlap. Furthermore, Keck is not even top 10 PA programs. Here is the median MCAT and GPA for DO schools. There is no data available for all of PA programs, but it is safe to assume that the top 20 PA programs have better or equivalent academic metrics to DO medians. Thus once again showing that there is overlap in academic characteristics.
upload_2017-11-12_14-39-8.png

What is odd is that is that it is difficult for you to imagine a situation where PA's actually wanted to go to PA school .

I'm an M3, long-term girlfriend is a PA2. She wanted to do the "doctor thing" without doctor hours since she wants the flexibility to spend a lot of time with future kids. I must say at this point where I am still staring down the barrel of at least 5 and a half more years (want ophtho) and meanwhile she is getting job offers in the area for ~$125k with banker's hours I absolutely cannot blame anyone for going that route. It really makes me somewhat envious and hope this is worth it in the end. I'm on surgery clerkship now though so that may be the insomnia talking. Ask me in 10 years but not sure I would recommend medical school for my kids.

Reactions: 7 users
Good luck convincing anyone.

I dont have to convince anyone. I showed objective data that there is overlap. Perhaps you should read my posts again, seems like your reading comprehension needs some work.

Your argument isn't statistically sound how is that ad hominem?

/r/iamverysmart

Reactions: 5 users

Different criteria. Requiring more clinical exposure does not mean it's harder.

1. You're being generous with the word "Numerous". Keck is arguably a top 10 program unless you're going by the garbage USNews rankings whose methodology is a complete joke.
2. Again, your comparison is inappropriate. To give you an example, your argument could basically be applied to Step scores from DO schools vs. MD schools. My DO school averaged a 228 Step 1 score a couple of years ago, so by your logic we're equivalent or better than about half the MD schools, which would be a ridiculous statement considering about 30% of that class didn't take Step 1. Plus you're looking at the MCAT scores at a school which pulls from arguably the most competitive applicant pool for med school in the country. Those Keck PA students with their 27 MCAT average are probably so high because those are the Cali kids that wanted to go to med school but didn't have the MCAT/application to do so. There are also plenty of MD schools with average MCATs below 27, but that doesn't make it a valid comparison.
3. No, we don't, which makes the comparison even more invalid.
4. Just because there's "some overlap" doesn't mean it can be compared fairly. There's some overlap between the job of a 4th year med student and the janitor at the hospital, that doesn't mean comparing the two is reasonable.

Because I wanted to show that there is a portion of people going to PA schools that could have gotten into DO schools. I care because the general tone in this thread has been, " dur dur PAs are too dumb to get into a real medical school". I was just proving that assertion is incorrect. There is a good portion of overlap between PA and DO candidates in terms of Academic Metrics.

Lol.
1. First you criticize my methods , then you go on to qoute what your school does as the gold standard for PA's. Lol.

I dont need to show equivalence. I just need to show overlap. Furthermore, Keck is not even top 10 PA programs. Here is the median MCAT and GPA for DO schools. There is no data available for all of PA programs, but it is safe to assume that the top 20 PA programs have better or equivalent academic metrics to DO medians. Thus once again showing that there is overlap in academic characteristics.
View attachment 225366

What is odd is that is that it is difficult for you to imagine a situation where PA's actually wanted to go to PA school .

You don't need to show equivalence, but showing overlap literally accomplishes nothing, especially when you're showing overlap with single data points which may be outliers.

Also, the image that you've included is for osteopathic APPLICANTS, not interviewees or matriculants, while your statement about Keck applicants was for those granted an interview. So again, your comparison is invalid and you're making statements that your "evidence" simply isn't backing up.

I'm not saying there aren't PA students who couldn't have gone to medical school, I'm sure there are many (just like there are many DO students who could have gone MD if they'd applied differently/really wanted to). However, if you're going to try and defend it statistically you have to have valid comparisons and show more than a sliver of "overlap", which you don't.

To the OP regarding the difficulty of PA school: I know a few people who are either PA students that took classes with med students or med students who had PA students in their class. While they took some classes together, they all took different tests, with the PAs having tests that either contained significantly less material or having a completely different test altogether with easier questions. I actually had a PA friend whose class was given the DO student's test by mistake once and he said it did not go well for his class. Idk about the clinical aspects of PA school, but from what I understand from talking to PA friends, the lecture/pre-clinical portion is easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Different criteria. Requiring more clinical exposure does not mean it's harder.

1. You're being generous with the word "Numerous". Keck is arguably a top 10 program unless you're going by the garbage USNews rankings whose methodology is a complete joke.
2. Again, your comparison is inappropriate. To give you an example, your argument could basically be applied to Step scores from DO schools vs. MD schools. My DO school averaged a 228 Step 1 score a couple of years ago, so by your logic we're equivalent or better than about half the MD schools, which would be a ridiculous statement considering about 30% of that class didn't take Step 1. Plus you're looking at the MCAT scores at a school which pulls from arguably the most competitive applicant pool for med school in the country. Those Keck PA students with their 27 MCAT average are probably so high because those are the Cali kids that wanted to go to med school but didn't have the MCAT/application to do so. There are also plenty of MD schools with average MCATs below 27, but that doesn't make it a valid comparison.
3. No, we don't, which makes the comparison even more invalid.
4. Just because there's "some overlap" doesn't mean it can be compared fairly. There's some overlap between the job of a 4th year med student and the janitor at the hospital, that doesn't mean comparing the two is reasonable.

You don't need to show equivalence, but showing overlap literally accomplishes nothing, especially when you're showing overlap with single data points which may be outliers.

Also, the image that you've included is for osteopathic APPLICANTS, not interviewees or matriculants, while your statement about Keck applicants was for those granted an interview. So again, your comparison is invalid and you're making statements that your "evidence" simply isn't backing up.

I'm not saying there aren't PA students who couldn't have gone to medical school, I'm sure there are many (just like there are many DO students who could have gone MD if they'd applied differently/really wanted to). However, if you're going to try and defend it statistically you have to have valid comparisons and show more than a sliver of "overlap", which you don't.

To the OP regarding the difficulty of PA school: I know a few people who are either PA students that took classes with med students or med students who had PA students in their class. While they took some classes together, they all took different tests, with the PAs having tests that either contained significantly less material or having a completely different test altogether with easier questions. I actually had a PA friend whose class was given the DO student's test by mistake once and he said it did not go well for his class. Idk about the clinical aspects of PA school, but from what I understand from talking to PA friends, the lecture/pre-clinical portion is easier.

1. Sure I am being generous with numerous, the point is that the median mcat for DO schools is 502, Unless you have a better way to rank .Literally no ranking I have seen puts Keck at the top of the PA program.

2. My point is that lets not **** on PA's by saying a majority of them went to PA schools because they couldnt get into medical school. The comparison of keck , or any top 20 PA school is sufficient enough to prove that they have the academic chops to go to a DO school.
3. You have no data to support that Keck is the most competitive PA school.
4. The point is that there is overlap, the degree of overlap can be debated. So lets not just **** on PAs.
5.Your fourth point makes no sense. We are talking about academic chops of people going to different programs.

Showing overlap displays one key thing. a good portion of PA's from the top 20 PA schools could have gone to DO schools.

Here is the image of matriculants, it bode any better.
upload_2017-11-12_16-42-27.png

This chart from caspa below literally says that they are not applying to DO or MD schools at the rate you are talking about.

upload_2017-11-12_16-48-2.png

I am Merely disproving the ****ting going on in this thread that "PAs are people who couldnt get into medical school" And by displaying keck's average I am showing that there is a good chuck of that class that could probably get into a DO school.

@libertyyne

I am going to oversimplify the argument here: Do all (or almost all) US med students have the intelligence to get into PA school? Can you say the same for PA students if they want to get into US med school?

It's time for med students and physicians to stop being afraid of not offending people. We are being run over by EVERYONE.

Last edited: