Why do people go to Carribean schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeganSoprano

Queen of Spayeds
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A big reason is that Caribbean schools are not AMA/AVMA accredited. Becoming licensed in the U.S. is an expensive hassle, and there is a stigma attached to attending a non-accredited school that takes less qualified applicants. It will make a doctor out of you if you are determined enough, but for many people it's worth it to gain acceptance to an accredited school.

Re: "But one good one is that even Caribbean schools have pre-requisites", many people who enter postbac programs come from non-science fields and are using the postbac program to fulfill these requirements. Personally, my undergrad GPA was fine but I didn't take any serious math or science classes, so I'm making those up in a postbac.

Members don't see this ad.

MD1 said:
Could you elaborate a little more on "Lotsa reasons" ? I'm wondering because I finished 90 hrs and applied to a Carrribbean Med school just to see if I would get in with a 3.0 GPA and no MCAT... and I got in. But now I wonder if it would've been better for me to just stay in Virginia and try there??
VeganSoprano's reason is probably the best, but I'll toss out a few more:
1) don't want to move family to semi-squalid "tropical paradise"
2) hurricanes
3) considering competitive residencies; Caribbean makes that hard (though not impossible)
4) I know I can do better - Caribbean schools are OK, but really last resort

Virginia has four great med schools - reasonably priced and not too hard to get in to as an in-stater. I don't know your whole situation, but it's hard to imagine opting for Caribbean schools over EVMS, VCU, UVa or VCOM, given the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.