Why do guys laugh at the thought of a woman in orthopedic surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyMD2b

... moment of silence
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is supposedly so hard about the field?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Forget the political correctness. What is supposedly so hard about the field?

Yeah, not a lot of time to have babies, raise them, clean house, and yeah, make men sandwiches. Oh, and the long hours and stress are terrible for her blemish- and wrinkle-free skin!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, not a lot of time to have babies, raise them, clean house, and yeah, make men sandwiches. Oh, and the long hours and stress are terrible for her blemish- and wrinkle-free skin!

Hmmm... is there an echo in the room? :laugh:

lol, these responses gave me a laugh i needed today. On a more serious note, I don't think most men laugh at the idea of women being in ortho...I mean some may, but usually those are from the old guard. I must say though that ortho out of most surgical sub-specialties seems to be less flexible to women taking off time to have babies in residency. I'm on an away rotation right now and one of the female residents told me that she is sure that her current program only ranked her to match because they knew that she already had her kids and was too old to have more/didn't want to have more. Also, ortho is pretty physically demanding. Today I was holding the leg of a 300lb man for a good portion of a case, praying that the operation would end quickly before my arms gave out. Now saying all that, PLENTY OF WOMEN have successfully become orthopaedic surgeons as the Ruth Jackson Society would show; so obviously all of those obstacles can be overcome, but I would say that ortho is still probably one of the last bastions in medicine where women still run into issues here and there (this is a gross generalization i know).

So if people laugh and say you can't do it...laugh back and keep working towards it. Plenty of women have done it before and plenty will continue to realize their dream of becoming orthopods.

I can't speak for sandwiches, but I do know that "sammich" making can be a serious factor. That, and baby making, but this was mentioned previously.

p.s. I think D Jay is right on but also keep in mind that as far as the ortho goes, I'm sure 300lb-leg-holding ability, while useful, wouldn't necessarily be a factor in your career as a surgeon. There are parts of ortho that are specific to the surgical part which do require physical strength, but they can definitely be overcome with technique and practice..and a little conditioning...which isn't specific to men. The baby part is also real, but again, it's probably not more specific to ortho than all the surgical specialties. Perhaps the realest factor is just the personality match, being a male-dominated field and all.

Last edited:
I know more than a couple female orthopedic surgeons and nobody laughs at them. The biggest thing they had in common is that they were all really big into athletics growing up and enjoyed/fit in with the general personality of ortho.