Why do D.O. students feel the need to post on here???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering one thing: Why do the D.O. students feel the need to post on the podiatry forum? I certainly do not go over to their forum or to the M.D. forum and post on there. I wouldn't mind it so much if they posted helpful information or creative comments, but 80% of the time they just simply belittle podiatry and podiatrists.

I am glad that we have SDN to learn from one another and about one another's professions. However, when it crosses the line of that understanding, I believe that we are doing one another a disservice.

Members don't see this ad.

mrfeet said:
I was just wondering one thing: Why do the D.O. students feel the need to post on the podiatry forum? I certainly do not go over to their forum or to the M.D. forum and post on there. I wouldn't mind it so much if they posted helpful information or creative comments, but 80% of the time they just simply belittle podiatry and podiatrists.

I wish that people really would stick to the area of medicine that they are studying or are currently practicing, instead of feeling the need to post on our forum and tell us how "we're not really physicians" or we are inferior to them.

I personally don't care what they think, but its annoying as hell!

:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:
Same reason MD's flood DO forums to mock them. And so it goes... :rolleyes:

Would you really want to be a patient of ANY of these people who berate and goad others? Not really. :thumbdown:

I don't mind different people posting on here. Especially MD/DO since we work so closely with them. A lot of times, they have good things to say. The trouble comes from the insecure ones that have to try and hold others down to make them feel better about themselves and their situation. Fortunately, most of them are early in their education. They will start their rotations and wise up quickly.
Don't judge an entire area of medicine based on a few ignorant students!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did attend Pod med at SCPM and still have some good friends there about to graduate. I am interested in seeing what's up or changed since I've been there. As for the other MD/DOs that post, I do not know why unless they have had some type of experience with pods or DPM students.

jonwill said:
Don't judge an entire area of medicine based on a few ignorant students!

Agreed! I think the best thing about SDN is that it has the ability to bring together people from all aspects of healthcare. There are pod students that post on other boards, and there are DDS/DMD, PA, NP, MD, DO...etc. students that post here from time to time. Obviously, negative posts should never be tolerated, but maybe they can be used as a learning experience. Most MD/DO students have absolutely no clue what a DPM is or does. Heck, half of the DO students may not have known what a DO was until they got turned down from an allopathic school or two. Podiatry is still such a small (but growing) profession that many people have never heard of it at all. When other students venture onto this board, take the time to inform them. Teach them about the profession and where it is headed. It's really hard not to fight back, but that really serves no purpose at all. In the case of obvious trolls, just ignore them. When they can't stir up controversy here, they'll go somewhere else to do it.

Once you've posted on SDN for awhile, you learn to ignore them. Usually if they are just looking to fight, it is best to ignore the post and keep discussing the real issue. Most of these posters are going to be upset when they get into the real world. I was discussing this w/ one of our great faculty and he has some great words of wisdom. He said the most of the DOs and MDs don't get us at first, they think they are better by education. In the end, they get mad b/c we end up making more than most of them.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Once you've posted on SDN for awhile, you learn to ignore them. Usually if they are just looking to fight, it is best to ignore the post and keep discussing the real issue. Most of these posters are going to be upset when they get into the real world. I was discussing this w/ one of our great faculty and he has some great words of wisdom. He said the most of the DOs and MDs don't get us at first, they think they are better by education. In the end, they get mad b/c we end up making more than most of them.

I bet I know who said that.

box29 said:
I did attend Pod med at SCPM and still have some good friends there about to graduate. I am interested in seeing what's up or changed since I've been there. As for the other MD/DOs that post, I do not know why unless they have had some type of experience with pods or DPM students.

Why did you go through Pod. school and decide to attend Medical School? And I am interested how much loans did you rack up and rack after that DO degree?!

MD2b20004 said:
Why did you go through Pod. school and decide to attend Medical School? And I am interested how much loans did you rack up and rack after that DO degree?!

Are you looking at Podiatry as an option for yourself? Or are you trying to get peoples views on the subject of Podiatry?