Technology why did you buy a mac? no really. i want to understand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To the OP: I had loved my Mac for 3 years. Then I built my own desktop PC with Windows 7. I think the main reason people prefer one or the other is interface. Just tell your brother to go play with one in an Apple store. If he likes the interface, then you can't really argue with that. Personally I prefer Windows 7 now (or maybe I'm just partial because I put in the hours, blood, and endless cursing to build this PC and it happens to be running Windows 7 haha).

Members don't see this ad.

Boots faster, doesn't crash, no viruses, more elegant and intuitive operating system, no "tweaking" needed, better integration all around. These aren't small points. They all add up to a superior computing experience.
This is why I bought mine. Both of them. I started with one of the white MBs and sold it after 3 years (maybe 2? idr) when they were rumored to be coming out with the aluminum case. Well, it took longer for them to release it but I bought my 2nd MB last year. I actually just sold it on eBay for a healthy amount considering it's not even the 'in store' model anymore.

The ONLY reason I got rid of it was because our school issues Lenovo laptops at the beginning of first year. From the beginning of orientation to the time I sold it, I had maybe used my MB 5 times. I am not at all a fan of windows-based laptops. I prefer the reliability of my MB. But I couldn't really use it for school. Yes, I'm aware of boot camp and partitioning and all that jazz. But our IT department would not have supported any problems I had on the school software if I brought it in on my Mac.

I can't believe how much upkeep the mini-pc requires. There's always something to download, update, scan. My Mac just works. Occasionally there are software updates, but not nearly to the extent Microsoft has.

I think the dumbest thing I've heard is to criticize people for preferring Macs to pc's because of "ease of use." Yes, why should you do something the easy way when you can exasperate yourself by doing it the hard way?

The laptop was an investment. I didn't get it because some cool kids in my class told me to. The commercials didn't make me do it. My purchase was borne out of years of frustration with several pc's. I plan on having this laptop for a long time, and I have a reasonable degree of confidence that it will last. I look at the mini-pc as a ticking time bomb. It's just a matter of time before it blows.
Now that's cool.

I got a Mac because I was just so sick and disgusted with Windows. I had an HP and it just died on me one day without warning. All my files, pictures, everything, gone. Yeah, the Mac is more expensive, but to me it was worth it to spend the money if meant not getting stomach ulcers because a damn machine is infuriating me so much.
These also echo my reasonings.

McSteamy, if you're a person who has time and enjoys building computers and doesn't mind going to the effort of making sure it runs seamlessly, you're probably not going to understand why people are willing to pay for something to work 'out of the box'. Yes, with the other boxed laptops you can eventually make them run more smoothly. But it takes times. and time is money. Whether it's actual earnings or time better spent doing something else, it's still time that you don't have to spend on a PC laptop, trying to get it to run right.

For me, it was worth the money. And as soon as I start earning again, I'll buy another Mac.

I broke down and bought a Mac recently:

jers-1990-mac-classic-large.jpg

It just works, my ass! I had to run the damn logic board through the dishwasher to get the damn thing to even boot up!

Reminds me of back in the day,+pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
for every reason in favor of a mac, I can think of an equal or better solution on the pc.

The big question is basically: What does he do with his computer now? I always go for PCs because the programs that I use simply work better on PCs and some are only available for the Windows platform. I've worked with a lot of Mac aficionados who tried to convert me ;) but a move to a Mac for me would mean:

• Replace thousands in software I need to run my business and/or
  • Learn to live with a lot of free "meh" software that doesn't work for me.
It goes both ways, ie someone that just LOVES GarageBand will probably need to stick with a Mac. But someone who needs to run multiple Adobe apps constantly will learn to live with the Beachball of Doom. Most illustrators I've known use Macs, but programmers have used PCs. It really all comes down to what you are using it for, and what apps you want.

But I agree that Macs are expensive. To get similar hardware features in a Mac (for my desktop) would cost about 4x what I paid last year.

Now I'm not a complete philistine, I have used Macs in the past, I just don't fidn them as useful for me as PCs.

I agree that Macs are more secure based on the experts testimony, but if it costs twice as much for the same specifications....

While you are just looking at spec's for upfront cost you have to figure out the total cost of ownership. Have to add in how much those antivirus programs cost, how much time is lost because the computer is down, how much money will you have to spend if you can't fix it yourself. Also look at the lifespan of the machine if it only lasts two years compared to four for the Mac, etc etc , etc. The upfront cost is only telling part of the story and you have to figure out the rest, sort of like buying a car. Not only do you have to figure out monthly payments but also insurance, repairs and gas expenses to get the total cost of ownership.

I agree that Macs are more secure based on the experts testimony, but if it costs twice as much for the same specifications....

...cnet.com has some good articles.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10452437-64.html?tag=mncol;mlt_related

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10444561-245.html?tag=mncol

Well according to consumer reports Apple computers dominate support rankings with mid to high 80's while the closest competitor Lenovo came in the low 60's

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/03/10/apple.beats.dell.lenovo.by.36.percent.or.more/

Is that worth the heavy (emphasis on that word) price premium that apple products carry? That is the question. For some people, it is worth it. For others, not.
Worth is all relative, you get what you pay for. Do people really need BMW's and Audi's when you can buy a hyundai that will get you to the same place at a fraction of the cost? I personally love the experience that I get from using Mac's much better than I ever did in the decade that I used windows based computers.

The simple fact of the matter is that Apple is gaining ground, I can see this when I walk into classrooms. Back in '02 it was rare to see someone else using a mac in class, today not so much. Slowly but surely Apple is gaining market share, will they ever control more than 50% of the market, Who knows? I do know that all the movies up for best picture were edited on macs, I know that everyone that I've ever talked to who switched from a windows machine to a Mac loves the experience, I know that 10 years ago Apple was circling the bowl but then they released the iMac and they climbed out of that hole and will eventually be worth more than Microsoft (at least on paper). What will the future hold for Apple? No one knows but with over 20 billion in cash and the company making record products with everyone else trying to play catch up I would think they are in a great position for the future.

There is a reason Apple is the worlds most admired company

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never punched my Mac in frustration. Can't say the same about my Dell or hp.

...The simple fact of the matter is that Apple is gaining ground...
Actually, from what I read just recently, due to the economy impacting the purchase of "luxury items", Apple's market share contracted .12% which dropped it just below 5%, for the first time in more than 5 years. Still, compared to just 10 years ago when less than 1 in 100 computers purchased by consumers was a Mac, ~1 in 20 computers now being a Mac is an incredible penetration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worth is all relative, you get what you pay for. Do people really need BMW's and Audi's when you can buy a hyundai that will get you to the same place at a fraction of the cost? I personally love the experience that I get from using Mac's much better than I ever did in the decade that I used windows based computers.

The simple fact of the matter is that Apple is gaining ground, I can see this when I walk into classrooms. Back in '02 it was rare to see someone else using a mac in class, today not so much. Slowly but surely Apple is gaining market share, will they ever control more than 50% of the market, Who knows? I do know that all the movies up for best picture were edited on macs, I know that everyone that I've ever talked to who switched from a windows machine to a Mac loves the experience, I know that 10 years ago Apple was circling the bowl but then they released the iMac and they climbed out of that hole and will eventually be worth more than Microsoft (at least on paper). What will the future hold for Apple? No one knows but with over 20 billion in cash and the company making record products with everyone else trying to play catch up I would think they are in a great position for the future.

There is a reason Apple is the worlds most admired company

I was all about Windows and it took me less a day after purchase of my new MacBook Pro to swear off buying another Windows based machine. To me, paying $400-500 for a cheaply made, crapware laden, glitchy machine is a waste of money, much more so than paying extra for a high quality, well functioning machine.

But what do I know? I only own a Mac. :laugh:

Actually, from what I read just recently, due to the economy impacting the purchase of "luxury items", Apple's market share contracted .12% which dropped it just below 5%, for the first time in more than 5 years. Still, compared to just 10 years ago when less than 1 in 100 computers purchased by consumers was a Mac, ~1 in 20 computers now being a Mac is an incredible penetration.

I don't know exact figures about market share but from Apples Website

Apple sold 3.36 million Macintosh® computers during the quarter, representing a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 8.7 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 100 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 21 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter

Although I'm betting the decline in iPod sales is due to people buying more iPhones. But the good news is that they are still selling more units year over year.

I was all about Windows and it took me less a day after purchase of my new MacBook Pro to swear off buying another Windows based machine. To me, paying $400-500 for a cheaply made, crapware laden, glitchy machine is a waste of money, much more so than paying extra for a high quality, well functioning machine.

But what do I know? I only own a Mac. :laugh:

LOL. I used to refer to my previous laptop as my "craptop." (Dell Inspiron. It inspired me all right. Inspired me to get a Mac.)

My main reasons for switching were
1) I liked the OS better, it was more intuitive once I forced myself to play for a few hours the first time. Spaces and expose, as well as the multitouch pad/mouse are essential parts of my computing experience now.
2) Stability (having owned many PCs and Macs there is a substantial difference, especially for someone who can't fix/tweak her pc on her own)
3) I have no desire to tweak my hardware. I just want it to work and not to have to think about that stuff. Computers aren't my hobby, they are a tool I use
4) Aesthetics! They look (and feel) better. I like pretty things. If I'm going to stare at the darn machine for countless hours I'd prefer to enjoy the experience.

If you buy a PC you probably will get more for your money, especially if you're looking at the laptop lines or the Mac Pro.

I use an Imac currently, which I feel like is a good money/value proposition for what it is, and what it does, and its PC equivalents are second rate competitors.

I would have never bought a Mac in the 1990's. But this decade Mac made a series of advances which showed that they were serious about technology. They switched to a Unix based operating system. Then they switched to Intel hardware. And they pulled it off pretty well. The underlying OS technology on a Mac is superior to what Windows uses.

Meanwhile, Windows hasn't really had a huge upgrade since Windows 2000, IMO. Sure they've had Vista and Windows 7 with various gimmicks and new Direct X software for gaming, but the underlying technology hasn't changed much in years.

...Meanwhile, Windows hasn't really had a huge upgrade since Windows 2000, IMO...
I could say the same thing about OS X since 10.1

Both operating systems need overhauls. When/if that will happen remains to be seen. Windows 8 is just so much raw dough at this point, so we don't have any idea how that is going to shape up. I would imagine it is the same for anything Apple is working on.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Windows 8, now that Microsoft has produced a true successor to Windows XP in Windows 7 they can afford to be a little more bold with Windows 8.

Mac OS doesn't need an overhaul. It's pretty solid as is. It could use some better gaming support and perhaps a new file system eventually, but otherwise it's pretty good.

Windows technology is ****.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Windows 8, now that Microsoft has produced a true successor to Windows XP in Windows 7 they can afford to be a little more bold with Windows 8.

I hope you're not holding your breath. Microsoft introduced XP ten years ago.

It's a fad plain and simple, the real fun will start when the market share gets large enough for the bot net makers to get interested. Apple has some beautiful hardware design, I will hand that to them, however as far as reliability they are just average, if you want reliable go with a business class laptop. This whole reemergence of apple is a very interesting thing which has to do with a combination of the success of the iPhone and, to be short, the extremely poor execution and coordination of Vista with hardware makers combined with some rather embellished criticism. Although apple has certainly managed to bring their prices out of the upper atmosphere, I believe they are still too expensive and with the release of windows 7 the user can be coddled in nearly all the same ways as the OS X experience.

Last edited:
Apple was very popular prior to the advent of the iPhone. iPod in general is what caused much of the "me too" movement of people from the iPods to purchasing a Mac.

Though you are correct about Vista.

Apple was very popular prior to the advent of the iPhone. iPod in general is what caused much of the "me too" movement of people from the iPods to purchasing a Mac.

Though you are correct about Vista.

Thinking back I would agree, but I REALLY started to see it pick up about the time the iPhone came out, I mean almost everyone I know who has the means who got an iPhone now has a mac of some sort.

Most Mac users I run into on a regular basis are technophobes who are afraid of (complicated) technology for some reason, they do not instill my faith in the future of humanity, or medicine.

Most Mac users I run into on a regular basis are technophobes who are afraid of (complicated) technology for some reason, they do not instill my faith in the future of humanity, or medicine.

"Afraid of complicated technology?" They're using computers, for crying out loud. They're probably also driving cars with more silicon* in them than a wannabe actress's breasts.

The fact that complicated technology can be made user-friendly is not a bad thing, despite the contrary opinions of elitist geeks (present company excepted, I'm sure). ;)

*Silicon, silicone...close enough.

"Afraid of complicated technology?" They're using computers, for crying out loud. They're probably also driving cars with more silicon* in them than a wannabe actress's breasts.

The fact that complicated technology can be made user-friendly is not a bad thing, despite the contrary opinions of elitist geeks (present company excepted, I'm sure). ;)

*Silicon, silicone...close enough.

Your 100% correct, but when the technology is not easy and people have the "I can't" attitude, what good does that do anyone? That's more of what I meant.

the computer is supposed to work for you, not the opposite. when I had my PC I had to spend so much time keeping up with the damn thing more than actually using it. Updates for all the different programs, auto scans, defrags, learning how to change a hidden setting.....the Mac is generally much more user friendly in that the computer actually helps you do stuff rather than giving you stuff to do.

Last night, I went in to the local Apple Store to get my iPod Touch replaced for the 2nd time since the front button stopped working altogether (last piece of Apple crapware I buy), and the clerk asks me if I use a PC or Mac. I say PC, with Win 7. Some Apple-douche sitting next to me says "Tsk tsk tsk". Well fat, bearded man at Apple Store, my Thinkpad doesn't have a glowing white fruit on the lid, but it gets the MFing job done.

Last night, I went in to the local Apple Store to get my iPod Touch replaced for the 2nd time since the front button stopped working altogether (last piece of Apple crapware I buy), and the clerk asks me if I use a PC or Mac. I say PC, with Win 7. Some Apple-douche sitting next to me says "Tsk tsk tsk". Well fat, bearded man at Apple Store, my Thinkpad doesn't have a glowing white fruit on the lid, but it gets the MFing job done.

You were in the Apple store. Hello, McFly...?

I use a better OS, its called the Trapper Keeper.

Stores files, Word Pad, Paintbrush, and Photoshop.

trapper.jpg

Damn, look at that screen saver.

Your 100% correct, but when the technology is not easy and people have the "I can't" attitude, what good does that do anyone? That's more of what I meant.

I'm completely proficient with both macs and pcs. (used PCs for >10 years before owning a mac). I prefer a mac because I don't enjoy fiddling with my pc and customizing and upgrading and personalizing etc. I have other hobbies. I have plenty of close friends who love tweaking their PCs and I would never try to convince them that a mac was for them. It seems equally bizarre to try and convince me that tweaking my pc is oh so much fun and that if I refuse to partake I'm somehow inferior and weak.

Kind of like arguing that you love having a car you have to repair all the time. Oh yeah, that's so much fun. :confused:

Few crashes
Consistent, quick, attractive, clean UI
Unix-based
Lets me run X11 apps alongside my OS X apps
95%* less tinkering and dicking around than Windows, don't need a comp sci degree to install a f@#$ing wireless card like in linux

*This number is totally arbitrary.