Why Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from the cliche "visual learner", "combining surgery with pathology" reasons and the simply inane, but perhaps ulterior "money and lifestyle" reasons for some people...how did you seriously answer the why derm question in a paragraph or two? I am guessing it stemmed a lot from discussing your experiences to answer that question than discussing the field of dermatology in an abstract sense but I would definitely appreciate a compilation of different responses from current residents to see which responses were well received by the interviewers.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

herp derp

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you took away the "money and lifestyle" from the practice of dermatology, would the question of "why derm" be an issue, as I've seen it become several times since I became a member on this forum?

And if you did take away the money and lifestyle, do you think derm is somehow harder to justify wanting?

Just asking. Trying to understand why answering this question seems problematic, (except if it's just about the money and lifestyle).

I do have my own personal "strong" reasons why I want derm, but that's another story.

I would definitely appreciate a compilation of different responses from current residents to see which responses were well received by the interviewers.

A genuine one. That being said, I would leave money and lifestyle out of it even if that is a genuine answer.

I'd go with something along these lines:

Consider that in the year 2012 there will be 315 million people living in the United States. Then take into account that the average person has a surface area of 1.6 square meters. Combining these two startling statistics yields an even more startling result: in the year 2012, there will be 504 million square meters of skin in the United States. With only 8153 practicing dermatologists in the country, each will be responsible for 61,817 square meters of skin. These are the makings of a bona fide skin crisis, the likes of which this land has never seen! Please allow me to take up arms with you in the fight against unobserved skin. Our battle cry will be heard from the mountaintops: "No longer will squamous cell carcinomas go undiagnosed! No longer will psoriasis torment the unfortunate! No, we will take up our Aldara and 11-blades and fight the good fight until every verruca is eradicated and every rash is extinguished!"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
ok these responses didnt help...but seriously what did you specifically say when you were asked why dermatology at your interview?

Didn't help, but sure made you chuckle, right? :laugh:

OK, and what about my question? Is the answer to the question "why derm" still problematic even if derm did not provide a good lifestyle and good money?

i mean yeah, the same as why harvard, why ibanking etc...ulterior motives ASIDE how did you respond

i mean yeah, the same as why harvard, why ibanking etc...ulterior motives ASIDE how did you respond

The problem with posting our private responses to such questions is that once our individual answer is out here on the Internet, it will invariably picked up, modified, embellished, expanded, stretched, distorted, corrupted and ultimately co-opted by every potential derm candidate for the next decade or so.

Then our answer will no longer be special or unique to us. So it's not that we just don't want to help you out. We just don't want to allow you (and everyone else) to make us into a caricature.

Good luck in finding a heartfelt, individualistic, inspiring and memorable answer that you can relate in just under a minute. I spent a long time on it as well.

• Love
lol i appreciate a PM then and i guess its just an issue of trust, which i value and would definitely appreciate your opinion

Aside from the cliche "visual learner", "combining surgery with pathology" reasons and the simply inane, but perhaps ulterior "money and lifestyle" reasons for some people...how did you seriously answer the why derm question in a paragraph or two? I am guessing it stemmed a lot from discussing your experiences to answer that question than discussing the field of dermatology in an abstract sense but I would definitely appreciate a compilation of different responses from current residents to see which responses were well received by the interviewers.

thanks!

Why try to find out what motivated OTHERS to go into Derm? If you're considering a career in the field yourself, there should be reasons for it. If the reason happens to fall under the 'money and lifestyle' domain, there's nothing wrong with that per se but you'll need other reasons to discuss in an interview setting.

My guess is that many (if not most) people enter Derm for 'money and lifestyle' issues whether they admit to it or not. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not something you go around bragging about. Considering how hard it is to get into Derm (and how much debt is accumulated along the way), why would it be as competitive if Dermatologists worked 80 H/week and make $75K/annum?

At the end of the day, you could be working in this field a long time so you want to make sure it's something you can at least tolerate. If not, you're going to be miserable and probably won't be a great doctor (in which case you won't make much to begin with).

I'll admit it. I wanted a job that struck the best balance of income, lifestyle, and personal interest/satisfaction that I could find. Micrographic surgery happened to be the path I chose; it could just as easily had been plastics or an ophtho subspecialty... There is much more to life than this **** -- and as they continue to declare eminent domain over our skills and services heeding these factors will gain even more importance.

I don't want to hijack the OP's question, but I'm genuinely wondering: Is it really more difficut or problematic to answer why one wants this specialty vs. answering why any other particular specialty IF the "money and lifestyle" part were NOT part of the equation?

I don't want to hijack the OP's question, but I'm genuinely wondering: Is it really more difficut or problematic to answer why one wants this specialty vs. answering why any other particular specialty IF the "money and lifestyle" part were NOT part of the equation?

I wouldn't think so. Some of us actually like Dermatology for what it is. My question is, why does this sound so wrong to anyone?

You can actually make a ton more money doing something else... Lifestyle is only a correct answer only if you like Dermatology. If you don't enjoy the field then your life will suck... So, there's no reason to mention lifestyle IMO. It should be implied merely by interest.

I agree with FixItUp Chappie on this one. We all have individual paths as to why we went into dermatology. There are a variety of people in dermatology. Gunneria, telling your our specific interest is really of little value when you need to find your way. I'm going to be very blunt to let you know that when you ask what we said to interviewers instead of what made us go into derm, it really comes of as you are trying to just find a general "right" answer without making it a personal answer. The best answers are the personal answers and that's something that only you will know and it's the only way to come across genuinely.

There are some that really do it JUST for money and lifestyle and really not much more...their goal is to somehow convince the derm residency gods that that's not true and that they have a deeper passion somewhere inside...I'm not going to elaborate on this one...in fact many of these people went to medical school to just make money in the first place...

Also, to Nellyakgo it's not problematic at all to answer your question unless you went into derm for ONLY money and lifestyle. In fact, I think it's really easy to answer that question if you did it for a lot of other reasons as well. Like N-surge said, some of us actually like dermatology and get excited to just think about dermatology for what it is as a medical, surgical, psychological, social, and research field.

To echo Mohs, life is a balance and you have to find the balance that works for you. My balance will not be your balance...

ok these responses didnt help...but seriously what did you specifically say when you were asked why dermatology at your interview?

Well, honestly, Gunneria, I think the reason why some people here react w/ disdain at your question (while valid) is that you've built up quite a reputation here....hey, I'm just the messenger....

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=780450
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=190051
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=767362
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=789770

Well, honestly, Gunneria, I think the reason why some people here react w/ disdain at your question (while valid) is that you've built up quite a reputation here....hey, I'm just the messenger...

Gunneria, there's probably a lot of people that silently share your sentiment for a your approach to do what it takes to get into the "good life" that clearly revolves around money...unfortunately, I think these are the people that end up jaded when life throws you a curveball...but don't take my word for it...

Regardless, you've had the guts put forth your point of view which was brave...but honestly, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth when clearly there so many other ways to make money besides having patients depend on you for their care...

Tell the interviewers you need to start a cosmetics practice because ugly people make you feel icky inside. I hear they love that :nod:

ugly people make you feel icky inside. I hear they love that :nod:

:nod::nod:
I know this was a joke - but if I told you I really have a similar sentiment - not exactly like this, people are mostly not ugly and I simply think about how most people could look better, and as a result might feel better, now, will you have disdain for me too??????
This doesn't mean I'm not interested in or don't want to do core healthcare or basic research. To the contrary.

OK, too much sole bearing going on here...

:nod::nod:
I know this was a joke - but if I told you I really have a similar sentiment - not exactly like this, people are mostly not ugly and I simply think about how most people could look better, and as a result might feel better, now, will you have disdain for me too??????
This doesn't mean I'm not interested in or don't want to do core healthcare or basic research. To the contrary.

OK, too much sole bearing going on here...

It's a game we all have to play and unfortunately, when people in academics hear the word "cosmetics" (or "look better" or anything in that realm), you get labeled as someone who comes in, does his/her 3 years of jailtime/residency, and then leaves right away to pursue cosmetics.

It's not fair, it's not always accurate, but it happens more often than you would think, and it's not a good impression to leave behind.

(I can tell you this has happened quite frequently within our own program. Even people with significant research backgrounds, PhDs, almost a decade in the lab before starting derm residency, etc... etc... flock to private practice and cosmetics upon graduating)

Quite simply, there isn't enough time in the day to pursue all that work and in the end, most people will choose the work that is most profitable. (I can only name a handful of dermatologists in my surrounding community that have been able to juggle cosmetics and medical dermatology, I really haven't heard of anyone juggling true basic science research and cosmetics)