Why Australia over the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by The Pill Counter
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada don't oversee Family Physicians, that's the role of the College of Family Physicians of Canada. From their website:

You're off the ball red, ACGME family medicine programs are recognised.

Pill Counter,

I wrote to the RCPSC and got that response from the aforementioned Lady....Are you saying the reason that the RCPSC doesn't recognize family medicine is because it's not their responsibility, or because US training isn't recognized in Canada???

I was under the impression that the training was simply not recognized in Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not their responsibility. CFPC is the responsible body.

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
It's not their responsibility. CFPC is the responsible body.

Thanks man, glad to clear that up, when she sent me that msg I thought that the US training was pretty much out of the question...

Another question then if you do an "extra" year in internal med, will that be recognized, and what exams will we have to write?

The way I understood it we need the ee, qe1, qe2 and the relevant board exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by redshifteffect
-Finally if you have none of the above then after you secure a residency (100% at my school for internationals that want to stay) then you can apply to be an RMO at a hospital in an underserved area...which is pretty much everywhere except sydney/melbourne YES EVEN ADELAIDE
if you can secure a 2 year contract as an RMO (make sure it's 2 years and not 1 year) you can apply for a PR under a special category....

Hey red (I'm abbreviating from now on, dammit!), what's RMO stand for? Is this last option a means to get PR, or an alternative to PR?

So you secure a residency, but do you finish the residency before becoming the RMO thingy, or just get into a residency, then apply to be the RMO thingy?

-pitman

Hey Pill Counter..did you get my latest PM? I've a load of backchannel questions for you, if you're game to help me sort out where I'll be spending the next few years :p

Originally posted by pitman
Hey red (I'm abbreviating from now on, dammit!), what's RMO stand for? Is this last option a means to get PR, or an alternative to PR?

So you secure a residency, but do you finish the residency before becoming the RMO thingy, or just get into a residency, then apply to be the RMO thingy?

-pitman

Hey pitman,

(yeah red is cool or RSE whatever)

an RMO is a Registered Medical Officer...you basially work at the hospital as a "general" doctor. The pay is pretty good, upto 80,000 AUD depending on where you work (remember this is 2nd year out of medschool).

This is basically an alternative METHOD of getting a PR, there are other ways ie applying with your previous degree, getting married etc. Those you can do while you're in school, or 6 months before you graduate, but since none of those routes are open to me *yet* ;) the RMO is the best way.

The way the residency works is that you have to apply after graduating from your final year. First preference is given to Australian locals, then to internationals graduating from that state, then out of state internationals. So depending on where you go to school this could be a problem, keeping in mind most Australians want to go to Melbourne/Sydney and there are lots of international grads from these programs (ie Monash/Melbourne and UNSW)

After you finish the one year internship you are automatically qualified to practice as an RMO or a non FRCAGP family doctor (ie you don't get gov't $$$ so you can't bulk bill at all)

Anyway after this internship year is finished you have to apply to work at a hospital as an RMO but again depending on where you have your sites set this isn't a tough thing to do...the only way you can get stuffed in this process is if they offer you a one year contract, and then keep renewing it.....then you can't qualify for the PR, so make sure it's a 2 year contract ONLY!!

Also contrary to what most ppl. think this really isn't a disadvantage, since most Aussies also do this before getting into a training program. The competition is tough, but the good thing is once you get your PR you are no longer and IMG/FMG or any of that crap.

P.S. Yeah i know a lot of you wil say that if you get a PR while in school you will get kicked out of the international applicant pool and will have to recompete as a local. Yes this is the case for a lot of post grad schools, but keep in mind the dropout rates at undergrad schools are higher, so its easier to secure yourself a position at one of those schools. This also means you pay local fees, not international fees, and you can "defer" them ie the gov't pays them while you are in school (HECS)...

(some malaysians have done this at my school)

But this only really applies if you have a degree.

Hmm, very interesting and enlightening, red! I'll keep this option in mind.

Originally posted by redshifteffect
Kim,

I have done EXTENSIVE research on this and this is what I have found out:

IF you want to stay in Australia you will require a PR to do training (ie residency) This is not that difficult to do if you meet the following requirements:

-If you have completed your medical school training in a rural area or area where there is a shortage of doctors (not sydney/Melbourne) you get an extra 5 pts on the points test. This helps a lot

-if you have a previous degree in an critical shortage area you get upto 60 + some extra pts. (nursing is one of these areas!)

-Finally if you have none of the above then after you secure a residency (100% at my school for internationals that want to stay) then you can apply to be an RMO at a hospital in an underserved area...which is pretty much everywhere except sydney/melbourne YES EVEN ADELAIDE
if you can secure a 2 year contract as an RMO (make sure it's 2 years and not 1 year) you can apply for a PR under a special category....

Many malaysians have attempted to stay here this way and its worked for most of them....I don't see why so many people say it's impossible to stay here, it's not!! You just have to be a "clever" and maximize your chances in staying.

www.immi.gov.au check out the points test, you may already qualify!

Finally I know for a lot of US grads Aus is not a good option, but trust me as a Canadian I can point out the differences in lifestyle between Australia and Canada

Australian docs make more money because of the fact that there's a private system, also they work less than Canadian/US ones. Trust me its not that bad an alternative.

Thanks for the interesting information. Perhaps times have changed somewhat from when I matriculated. We were made to sign a contract which stipulated we would not seek residency in OZ and that we would turn over our student visas at the end of 4 years. Of course, this was also at the time when the Minister of Health was advocating making all Aussie medical grads do 10 years Bush to "help" solve the shortage problem!

I know some who have managed to stay for a year or two but, at least for them, it was pretty difficult, not impossible.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Thanks for the interesting information. Perhaps times have changed somewhat from when I matriculated. We were made to sign a contract which stipulated we would not seek residency in OZ and that we would turn over our student visas at the end of 4 years. Of course, this was also at the time when the Minister of Health was advocating making all Aussie medical grads do 10 years Bush to "help" solve the shortage problem!

I know some who have managed to stay for a year or two but, at least for them, it was pretty difficult, not impossible.

What most ppl. dont' realize is that its actually much more difficult to stay from a Post grad school than it is from an undergrad school...as usual there are a lot of politics involved in this.

Also another major problem is that the laws change quickly, before I came here international students could easily apply for a PR before they graduate, but since the gov't took doctors off the skill occupations list this has become tough..

Essentially its forcing these students to work as RMO for two years, rather than going directly into training programs.

Thanx flindophile...

That's good news for everyone who wants to stay.

They key thing to note is that you will have to get a PR to stay permenantly, or do do any training....

This has also become easier with the 2 year RMO contract that you can do..