Why are you guys choosing third tier trash medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well even with IS people it is a problem. We have 2 border schools here in Texas and everyone who attends these schools has told the admins "we want to stay here and fill the need for physicians in these underserved areas!", then you look at their match list and almost everyone fled to Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio, and those who didn't go out of state.

Match list doesn't mean they won't be practicing there though (especially if it is truly an undeserved or rural area because there may not be any actual residency programs there to begin with)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Well there's a simple answer really:

df4bc4d7021e6d61af3b0d914fd0a9f2.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
If you look at the last 20 or so new medical schools, you will notice a similar theme in their marketing/introduction materials.

The drive to open new med schools is really about $$$ and nothing else.

They'll coach it up about serving "underserved" areas but let's consider the case of Houston, Texas

In 2000 the greater Houston area had 3 medical schools (UTH, UTMB, Baylor) which was already a lot for one city.

Now they have 5 (actually six if you count Texas A&M branch campus at Methodist)

All of the new ones in Houston put out the same BS as Houston being an "underserved" area, ignoring the fact that there were several more schools opening. For those of you unaware, Houston has the largest medical center in the world -- the TMC. Calling Houston "underserved" is a sick joke.

Behind the scenes, the leaders of these schools told you what it's really all about -- the dollars. They sold them to the leadership of Houston and Texas as an ECONOMIC STIMULUS PLAN.

Think about that absurd logic for a moment. The reason they want to open up a med school is to "boost" the local economy.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at the last 20 or so new medical schools, you will notice a similar theme in their marketing/introduction materials.

They'll coach it up about serving "underserved" areas but let's consider the case of Houston, Texas

In 2000 the greater Houston area had 3 medical schools (UTH, UTMB, Baylor) which was already a lot for one city.

Now they have 5 (actually six if you count Texas A&M branch campus at Methodist)

All of the new ones in Houston put out the same BS as Houston being an "underserved" area, ignoring the fact that there were several more schools opening. For those of you unaware, Houston has the largest medical center in the world -- the TMC. Calling Houston "underserved" is a sick joke.

Behind the scenes, the leaders of these schools told you what it's really all about -- the dollars. They sold them to the leadership of Houston and Texas as an ECONOMIC STIMULUS PLAN.

Think about that absurd logic for a moment. The reason they want to open up a med school is to "boost" the local economy.

Okay, what are you doing about it besides insulting med students who have zero control over it on the internet?

Reactions: 28 users

Ok so what is your solution?

I agree with this and saturating medical schools in an area causes fighting over clinical rotations. One reason why DO schools are making students pay extra fees for rotations is because other medical schools in the area are buying out the rotations for their students (mostly the MD programs).

Reactions: 1 user

To add to your Houston point, wouldn't it be a better fiscal decision to just add ~25 seats to utmb tamu and uth instead of creating two new med schools with small classes if policy makers actually cared about the disparities (30 (Uh) 50 (shsu) people class sizes, not to mention one is a DO school not sponsored by the state)? The whole situation of new med schools popping up really puts off the vibe of bad intentions under the guise of helping people

I graduated med school in 2008 so I'm a little older and crankier and don't understand what you guys are doing.

For those of you not aware, the term "third tier trash" used to apply to law schools, because they were opening up like McDonalds.

I hate to say this, but it now applies to med schools too.

Consider that in the last 20 years, there have been over 80 new medical schools (DO and MD). The prior 20 years before that, there were only 7 new medical schools.

Now we have Walmart opening medical schools in podunk Bentonville with a population of 50k -- Walmart heir's nonprofit to start new integrative medical school in Arkansas

We have for-profit med schools opening everywhere too.

I'm sorry but Walmart is a third tier trash med school
So are all the for-profit schools
So are all the schools opened in small towns that nobody has ever heard of before
So are all the schools opened in towns that dont even have a real hospital and force all their graduates to go off site for the entire 3rd and 4th year

Those things would have been UNTHINKABLE 20 years ago and now they are commonplace.

Medical school used to be something you could be proud of -- now it's a vocational tech program and nothing more.

If this trend continues, expect that just like law school, the name of the med school you go to will dictate everything.

No more dermatology matches from low tier schools, just like a white-shoe law firm won't touch a law grad from Dayton even if they are #1 rank in their class with a 4.0 GPA

There's a reckoning coming and it has nothing to do with socialized medicine or politics.

Anybody who attends Walmart Medical School should be embarassed and ashamed of themselves.
You paint with broad strokes in this comment and I think miss some of the important details. A lot of what you argue is "these new schools suck because they're not like how things were". And that's the extent of the supporting data. I agree there are substantial problems with what medicine is and is going to be but you don't point them out.

DO schools have always been third tier. Some have good clinical training, and specialization has gone up, not down.

To write-off students at these trash-tier med schools in the way you do is not insightful. These are often incredibly hard-working individuals that in 2004 when you matriculated would have had their pick of med schools. Things have become more competitive.

There is no good reason why pre-clinical studies should be anywhere. You're book learning for two years. May as well live in a yurt. The claim that schools are trash because of where preclinical learning is doesn't necessarily hold true. I do agree that starting med schools for local economic impact is terrible, though.

Clinical training during med school is almost wholly dependent on your residents and attendings, not being at some shiny academic institution with zebras. I've seen numerous complaints that prestigious academic training as a med student is more frequently shadowing, and increasingly students are involved in less and less (that they used to be involved in). Really I think any association between people at those programs and being good residents is the fact that those med students are incredibly hard working anyway; they got into elite institutions for a reason.

The reckoning has everything to do with politics, corporatization of medicine, and poor LCME/COCA restrictions. It has almost nothing to do with students, who will always need to pursue some type of career anyway. To encourage people to pursue something else altogether at this point is not necessarily good advice. Medicine tends to weather uncertain economic times better than other professions that these smart students might pursue instead. There is no reason to think that even with this change in how medicine functions, it will do relatively worse than other professions.

More med school seats at questionable institutions are much more your fault than our (current students) fault. If I worked hard my entire life and beat out 90% of other med school applicants (an already relatively competitive group) only to be accepted to Walmart SOM, I'd go, and I wouldn't be an idiot to do so. I'm probably beating way more people, both proportionally and numerically, than you did. Your post reeks of bitterness that we're the "I'm good enough no matter what" generation and the idea that we need to just admit when we don't add up and aren't competitive for real med school. That we are responsible for the new med schools. The reality is that we're on average more competitive than your generation and maybe, just maybe, it's the system that will need to change, not our career aspirations.

Med school being anything other than a vocational school is ridiculous. That's what it is. Prior physicians that could be "proud" of their schools sold the profession out anway. Prestige has no value apart from comforting the egos of people that have given everything to their career and need to justify their hard work. You can treat medicine like a job, and be a great physician. Probably better on average than those that think it's this "calling" thing, because those people have no life balance and quickly become miserable.

In conclusion, my post has terrible formatting and focus, and I strongly disagree with your take.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 29 users
I graduated med school in 2008 so I'm a little older and crankier and don't understand what you guys are doing.

For those of you not aware, the term "third tier trash" used to apply to law schools, because they were opening up like McDonalds.

Consider that in the last 20 years, there have been over 80 new medical schools (DO and MD). The prior 20 years before that, there were only 7 new medical schools.

Now we have Walmart opening medical schools in podunk Bentonville with a population of 50k -- Walmart heir's nonprofit to start new integrative medical school in Arkansas

So are all the schools opened in small towns that nobody has ever heard of before
So are all the schools opened in towns that dont even have a real hospital and force all their graduates to go off site for the entire 3rd and 4th year

Those things would have been UNTHINKABLE 20 years ago and now they are commonplace.

Medical school used to be something you could be proud of -- now it's a vocational tech program and nothing more.

If this trend continues, expect that just like law school, the name of the med school you go to will dictate everything.

No more dermatology matches from low tier schools, just like a white-shoe law firm won't touch a law grad from Dayton even if they are #1 rank in their class with a 4.0 GPA

There's a reckoning coming and it has nothing to do with socialized medicine or politics.

Anybody who attends Walmart Medical School should be embarassed and ashamed of themselves.
thumb_121639744_627648864583312_6214871240527883509_n-3730479074.jpg

Ironically midlevels may be the thing that props up the prestige of even the lowest tier medical school graduate. When the public has been conditioned to be fine with seeing someone with 650 clinical hours, just seeing MD or DO next to the name of the person in the office carries a lot more weight. The worst medical school is still leagues above the best nursing school, no doubt.

Now as to matching, with Step 1 being P/F and Step 2 being less challenging overall, I think we'll see prestige become even more of a primary factor than it was before when it comes to getting a highly competitive residency. Some of us though, we just want to be doctors in noncompetitive fields, so the idea that "you won't get into derm from Walmart" isn't really an issue. The problem will come when and if US grads aren't matching at all.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Medical schools, in general, are already obsolete. Students turn to online resources and Qbanks to actually learn. Preclinical years can be done from an apartment in Iceland essentially.

Change of the Step 1 to P/F was a desperate attempt by old-school admin to deliver power back to the medical schools.

If someone goes to "Walmart med school" and scores 268 on 2CK, why would one not give merit where it's due.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your post reeks of bitterness that we're the "I'm good enough no matter what" generation

Bingo. OP started the thread with adjectives “2008, older crankier”, meaning OP is a bitter kid who brings to the table beau coup issues. So much for top tier school

It's certainly crazy to think of a Wal-Mart med school, but the fact that WMT has that much money and global reach probably puts their pursuits at a pretty high advantage over most organizations starting schools. It's the richest family... Imagine the possible endowments in the future. All it would take is one heir to leave a fortune and it would be an NYU free-tuition type situation.

Also, I always like to remember when docs who graduated a while ago complain about "kids these days..." :

hcn715bq4cwy.jpg

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Average Step 1 when OP graduated was 221.

That's probably below the cutoff for a good number of competitive specialties/residency programs now.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users

What do you think I meant?

Even if you agree with this hot take, the tide has risen and lifted all boats, even for people that attend/are attending "trash schools," because everyone has the ability to access the same information/curriculum, as other posters have alluded to, during the preclinical years.

Reactions: 6 users
The last couple posts are basically saying things are harder now than they were before. It's something younger generations always say to their older ones, only to have the same thing said to them by generations even younger. There are unique challenges for every generation and you have to view scores in the context of their time.

Reactions: 8 users
What do you think I meant?

Even if you agree with this hot take, the tide has risen and lifted all boats, even for people that attend/are attending "trash schools," because everyone has the ability to access the same information/curriculum, as other posters have alluded to, during the preclinical years.
I don't think anyone is concerned about the preclinical years for exactly those reasons.

It's certainly crazy to think of a Wal-Mart med school, but the fact that WMT has that much money and global reach probably puts their pursuits at a pretty high advantage over most organizations starting schools. It's the richest family... Imagine the possible endowments in the future. All it would take is one heir to leave a fortune and it would be an NYU free-tuition type situation.

Also, I always like to remember when docs who graduated a while ago complain about "kids these days..." :

hcn715bq4cwy.jpg
See, that's what happens when they blow up the font size and double space it.

Back in my day, it was single spaced, 4 point font, and you had to read it with bifocals... and you had to walk to the store it get cause there was no internet (except for AOL Instant Messenger)... and you had to go back and forth, up hill both ways... and you were naked in the snow cause we didn't have that fancy global warming....

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I’m 37 and about to graduate from a trash third tier. I’m also probably closer to OPs age than most people here. I matched into surgery because I knew if I could get EVEN a “crap” school to take me seriously, I would get out there and do my own damn work to make my actual goals happen. I take no shame in the fact that I saw an opening and took it. I’ve changed the trajectory of my entire posterity by taking that trash third tier acceptance. My kids are straight A gifted students (complete opposite of how I was) because they see their dad working his ass off and going after his dream no matter what. I could be back at my 40k/yr **** job talking about how I was too good and too smart to take that trash acceptance, thinking I hurt their program and furthered OPs cause. Instead I made the best of what was in front of me.

I agree that the for-profit model is awful and we need to lobby for tuition caps. I don’t agree with belittling students who care more about being a physician than getting to say they went somewhere reputable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 55 users

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - YouTube

Can you cite a shred of evidence, other than your opinion, that graduates of FAU, Oakland Beaumont, Geisinger Commonwealth, and Washington State are inferior physicians. I think we'd like to see some data, collected by disinterested third parties in the normal course of business, to support your opinion.

I agree with OP, delivery is a bit off but the overall message is right on. The expanding schools will just lead to more unmatched students and the "solution" to this problem will be to eventually expand residencies, turning everything into EM and corporate america will have taken over every field in medicine. Just look at my home state of texas. In the past 5 years we have had 4 new med schools open with another planned to open in the next 3-4 years, and its not like these schools are filling a major gap, they have small class sizes and the return on opening these schools is not there. Then you look at all the new DO schools popping up everywhere......... I am just a med student, but I have noticed that a lot of people in medicine like to just roll over to admins or corps/the gov. We need people like OP to run the medical field, tough love is much needed.
If we increase supply our salaries go down. If we limit supply NPs/PAs take over.

You applied to medical school before the 2008 recession. Things have fundamentally changed.

Reactions: 4 users
Nailed it. Even "third tier" schools have admissions metrics that predict passing boards and graduating the vast majority of the time, and the real bottleneck for supplying the US with physicians - residency slots - has more than enough IMG slack to accommodate more US schools opening.
make it so those docs in other countries with awesome "free" healthcare have to stay there and get paid blue collar wages. maybe their discontent will reach a point that the general public starts to realize that healthcare is a very expensive service that needs to be performed by very skilled people.

• Dislike
make it so those docs in other countries with awesome "free" healthcare have to stay there and get paid blue collar wages. maybe their discontent will reach a point that the general public starts to realize that healthcare is a very expensive service that needs to be performed by very skilled people.
The vast majority of docs trained in other countries do practice in their countries. I'm not sure what you're trying to say

Reactions: 1 users
If we increase supply our salaries go down. If we limit supply NPs/PAs take over.
Lobbying and advocacy can change this. Healthcare is a somewhat free market

Edit: look at fields like vasc surg, plastics, ENT, urology, and derm. They all have low supply and are not at risk of being taken over by anything

I have seen docs from the UK and Canada come here, bag on America's healthcare but I always wonder if they think it's so bad why don't they just go home?

I have seen docs from the UK and Canada come here, bag on America's healthcare but I always wonder if they think it's so bad why don't they just go home?
They probably think it's bad for many poor patients, not for their wallet. I wouldnt have gone to med school if I expected an 80k salary afterwards, but I've also seen the Scandinavian system up close and would much rather be randomly reincarnated over there if I was gonna have chronic health issues.

Reactions: 7 users
Lobbying and advocacy can change this. Healthcare is a somewhat free market

Edit: look at fields like vasc surg, plastics, ENT, urology, and derm. They all have low supply and are not at risk of being taken over by anything
Derm is definitely going to get run over by midlevels in the future. As for surgical fields, I'm not an expert but simlple, high volume procedures like cystoscopies, nasal endoscopies, and less invasive procedures with dialysis access are definitely areas where midlevels will play a part in the future. Everything's ragging on GI/Cards for being one-trick pony proceduralists, but surgeons, particularly subspecialists make a good deal of money from a few simple procedures too.

Last edited:
They probably think it's bad for many poor patients, not for their wallet. I wouldnt have gone to med school if I expected an 80k salary afterwards, but I've also seen the Scandinavian system up close and would much rather be randomly reincarnated over there if I was gonna have chronic health issues.
With the crazy waiting times, I would call it bad for all parties in the socialized systems.
If they are here for the $, which you are more than likely right, then they should not be dogging on a system that is making them rich. It's throwing rocks from a glass house at that point. They should go back to their country and fight for better pay

• Okay...
Derm is definitely going to get run over by midlevels in the future. As for surgical fields, I'm not an expert but simlple, high volume procedures like cystoscopies, nasal endoscopies, and less invasive procedures with dialysis access are definitely areas where midlevels will play a part in the future. Everything's ragging on GI/Cards for being one-trick pony proceduralists, but surgeons make a good deal of money from a few simple procedures too.
Fair point. I failed to mention earlier that those fields that I mentioned is they all have very very strong lobbying groups. Thats why you have seen vasc surg take over stenting from IR, ENT keeping their spots really low, etc etc. Those fields are functioning in the opposite direction of anesthesia, which they are putting on a clinic of how not to protect their field. In short, you won't see NP/PA doing PAD stents or a quick snip-snip vasectomy, not because they can do it intellectually or physically, but because those fields lobby against it and are firm.

What an arrogant post. Not everyone is fortunate enough to go to Harvard. What purpose does this serve than to put others down.

• Love
  • Okay...
Reactions: 29 users
Fair point. I failed to mention earlier that those fields that I mentioned is they all have very very strong lobbying groups. Thats why you have seen vasc surg take over stenting from IR, ENT keeping their spots really low, etc etc. Those fields are functioning in the opposite direction of anesthesia, which they are putting on a clinic of how not to protect their field. In short, you won't see NP/PA doing PAD stents or a quick snip-snip vasectomy, not because they can do it intellectually or physically, but because those fields lobby against it and are firm.
I don't think the lobbying groups for Urology and ENT are exceptionally better than others. I also don't think ENT is the only field doing a good job keeping their supply low. I think we will see NPs/PAs doing vasectomies and angios/PCAs in the future.

I don't think the lobbying groups for Urology and ENT are exceptionally better than others. I also don't think ENT is the only field doing a good job keeping their supply low. I think we will see NPs/PAs doing vasectomies and angios/PCAs in the future.
You're more than likely right, but I hope you're wrong😅

With the crazy waiting times, I would call it bad for all parties in the socialized systems.
People like to exaggerate this, it's really only chronic elective stuff that has the long waits (e.g. for a joint replacement). Acute care is still acute.

And personally, I'd rather wait a while for care than be unable to get care. Have you ever been uninsured and broke? It's not a good time.

Reactions: 16 users

hcn715bq4cwy.jpg
It's also disingenuous to say it's a Walmart Medical School. It's a Walton family member's pet project, similar to the Gesinger Health System, which was a pet project founded and funded by a coal barron's wife

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

If they are here for the $, which you are more than likely right, then they should not be dogging on a system that is making them rich. It's throwing rocks from a glass house at that point. They should go back to their country and fight for better pay
The waiting times aren't that crazy in most countries. The physician pay is way worse though

This thread is such garbage, but its our garbage and I love it. More. MORE FAM.
Yes. But in all seriousness I don’t love it or care to see more. Some disgruntled attending bragging about how good he is because he graduated in 2008 and now considers himself “old school” and how everyone else who went anywhere except a “third tier trash school” (by his definition) is a worthless POT ( piece of trash). Where’s the empathy, the compassion, for those who might have chosen to pursue a career in medicine despite whatever obstacles they might have faced and maybe had no choice, for whatever reason to attend any school that accepted them?
OP’s post is arrogant and insulting to many, many people who have worked or tried very hard to get to where they are or want to be, and frankly I don’t understand why people (especially SDN moderators) would defend or tolerate it.
Just my humble opinion, of course.

Reactions: 17 users
I just wonder what the interest on OPs student loans were back in 2004

I just wonder what the interest on OPs student loans were back in 2004
OP was clearly bottom of the barrel dumb for doing med school in 2004 when if he had waited a few years he would have been eligible for PSLF. What a tool. He obviously had control over the institution of medicine, medical education, and the federal government that was dictating these policy choices to him. Yet he did nothing.

Nothing.

Clown fiesta.

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
"Why do the pre-meds not simply get accepted to better programs?"

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 15 users