Why are PT schools DPT schools now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnfree7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at PT jobs in my area out of curiosity and many of them said "Bachelor's in physical therapy required"; but many of the schools in my area offer a "DPT program". This lead me to the APTA website that says the following:

If I get a postprofessional DPT, will I get a better job? Will I be paid more?

"Data do not currently suggest that DPT practitioners get better jobs. Although there are instances in which the practitioner has benefited, lack of data prevents any generalization to the overall DPT population. There are no data to suggest that, as a matter of course, a PT with a DPT will be paid more than one who possesses a master's or baccalaureate degree. Although there are exceptions, they should not be used to generalize to the DPT practitioner population. According to APTA's 2010 Median Income of Physical Therapists Summary Report, the number of years of experience in clinical practice exerts a larger influence on the variation in reported salaries than does the degree level of a PT's professional education."

Why has a doctorate in physical therapy become the new normal?

Members don't see this ad.

In order for physical therapy programs to stay accredited, they can only offer a dpt degree.

From the APTA:
"Professional (entry-level) physical therapist education programs in the United States only offer the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree to all new students who enroll. The Master of Physical Therapy (MPT) and Master of Science in Physical Therapy (MSPT) degrees are no longer offered to any new students in the United States. To practice as a physical therapist in the US, you must earn a physical therapist degree from a CAPTE- accredited physical therapist education program and pass a state licensure exam."
"The Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) is a clinical doctoral degree (entry level degree) that reflects the growth in the body of knowledge and expected responsibilities that a professional physical therapist must master to provide best practice to the consumer."

In order for physical therapy programs to stay accredited, they can only offer a dpt degree.

From the APTA:
"Professional (entry-level) physical therapist education programs in the United States only offer the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree to all new students who enroll. The Master of Physical Therapy (MPT) and Master of Science in Physical Therapy (MSPT) degrees are no longer offered to any new students in the United States. To practice as a physical therapist in the US, you must earn a physical therapist degree from a CAPTE- accredited physical therapist education program and pass a state licensure exam."
"The Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) is a clinical doctoral degree (entry level degree) that reflects the growth in the body of knowledge and expected responsibilities that a professional physical therapist must master to provide best practice to the consumer."

Right, then why aren't employers reflecting that? Nearly every PT job I search for says "Requires a Bachelor's in Physical therapy", along with "Requires physical therapist license within the state" with 1 out of 10 requiring a "Masters PT".

It seems like employers are interchanging PTAs with DPTs, with almost all accepting "bachelor's level PTs and higher"

Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Right, then why aren't employers reflecting that? Nearly every PT job I search for says "Requires a Bachelor's in Physical therapy", along with "Requires physical therapist license within the state" with 1 out of 10 requiring a "Masters PT".

It seems like employers are interchanging PTAs with DPTs, with almost all accepting "bachelor's level PTs and higher"

Am I just looking in the wrong place?

People who became a PT years ago still have bachelors or masters degrees rather than the DPT. The quote you shared from the APTA website is answering a question for a PT who has one of these degrees and is wondering if they should get a doctorate now, not for someone new to the field.
PTs with bachelors degrees have most likely been practicing for years, so they have experience. Thats why they could be hired, not because PTAs are interchanged with DPTs. Now we all have to get a DPT.
Does that help?

Reactions: 1 user
People who became a PT years ago still have bachelors or masters degrees rather than the DPT. The quote you shared from the APTA website is answering a question for a PT who has one of these degrees and is wondering if they should get a doctorate now, not for someone new to the field.
PTs with bachelors degrees have most likely been practicing for years, so they have experience. Thats why they could be hired, not because PTAs are interchanged with DPTs. Now we all have to get a DPT.
Does that help?

Yes, thanks for explaining.